Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 420808 times)

Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #1575 on: 09 May, 2016, 11:24:47 am »
20:20, new 10 PB by 33s on Sat. Power PB by 20W. If the wind was down I could've got that bloody club record. Argh.

Then 1:51:39 at the Charlotteville 50, horrid ride, I was 20W down at the half way point and really struggling with glute pain and my numb left leg problem.

I saw with maybe 10mi to go there was a slim chance I could still PB so I lifted and got 10W back but it wasn't enough and I finished 30s down on PB, but a course best by 12 minutes.

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #1576 on: 09 May, 2016, 12:24:56 pm »
C'mom Hippy,
That's only 10 seconds faster than two tourists did on a long barrow in the mists of pre-history to set a club record.

Maybe its time you switched to 3 wheels.........

Dare you to ride the Tandem 30 on the E2 on it.........

« Reply #1577 on: 09 May, 2016, 12:50:28 pm »
C'mom Hippy,
That's only 10 seconds faster than two tourists did on a long barrow in the mists of pre-history to set a club record.

Maybe its time you switched to 3 wheels.........

Dare you to ride the Tandem 30 on the E2 on it.........

Back in the days before they checked bikes for motors was it? :P

Let me focus on breaking all the solo records first (while trying to train for TCR!) and I'll worry about your crazy contraption records later.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1578 on: 09 May, 2016, 12:58:16 pm »
Scottish National 10 champs. I was the organiser. Nobody died. I'm knackered.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #1579 on: 09 May, 2016, 01:57:13 pm »
Let me focus on breaking all the solo records first (while trying to train for TCR!) and I'll worry about your crazy contraption records later.

Oh dear.
The top of a slippery slope....... :thumbsup:

David Martin

« Reply #1580 on: 09 May, 2016, 03:23:40 pm »
And the furore over jersey colours and the rather strange Scottish Rules rumbles on..

« Reply #1581 on: 09 May, 2016, 06:35:32 pm »
Oh bugger.  I have entered a 3-up.

« Reply #1582 on: 09 May, 2016, 07:43:14 pm »
Can you not get an injunction

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1583 on: 13 May, 2016, 04:33:57 pm »
Oh dear, I've joined the dark side

I organised my first club TT yesterday.

David Martin

« Reply #1584 on: 13 May, 2016, 10:00:21 pm »
Congratulations. How did it go?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1585 on: 14 May, 2016, 09:49:04 am »
Everyone got round, nobody died.  One person did go off course on her first ever TT, (Course Map: she turned left to the start instead of continuing to the finish), so we possibly need to beef up the direction arrows on the final straight.  A turnout of 17 which is alright but a few more would have been nice, given this course is usually the most popular.

So far we have a grand total of zero organisers, one marshal and a timekeeper signed up for next week's event.  I suspect it's not going to happen.  Oh well, that gives me another week to get fit before I have to ride.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #1586 on: 14 May, 2016, 09:53:08 pm »

I ran my first club TT this morning. Hard work and more stressful than riding the thing. Additional respect and gratitude gained for all who do this.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

David Martin

« Reply #1587 on: 14 May, 2016, 10:29:39 pm »

I ran my first club TT this morning. Hard work and more stressful than riding the thing. Additional respect and gratitude gained for all who do this.
I'm fortunate in that we have a club who pitch in and help out so the organiser organises rather than organises and does everything. My sign ninjas are excellent and the marshalling crew are top notch.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1588 on: 15 May, 2016, 06:08:55 pm »
Direction signs? on  a club tt?

Luxury!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

David Martin

« Reply #1589 on: 15 May, 2016, 06:48:26 pm »
No. Warning cycle event signs.

rob

« Reply #1590 on: 15 May, 2016, 06:49:01 pm »
Did my bit Saturday afternoon marshalling at Red Lodge on the ECCA 50.

Bourne Wheelers 10 in Lincolnshire this morning.    Thought I was on fir a PB and hurt myself for the last mile to get 23:42, shaving 4 seconds off my previous best.

I still hate 10s.

« Reply #1591 on: 16 May, 2016, 10:17:26 pm »
Well, I just entered my first 10mile TT on 4 June at Seaford on the c10/10 course.  Looks pretty flat and at 57 I just need to get under 27 minutes to get my standard award.

Can I warm up by riding around the other roads into sleaford as I only have a big turbo or is that frowned upon?

Anything else I should know? Is there a strange handshake or something?

Anybody else going to be there?

« Reply #1592 on: 16 May, 2016, 11:04:20 pm »
Well, I just entered my first 10mile TT on 4 June at Seaford on the c10/10 course.  Looks pretty flat and at 57 I just need to get under 27 minutes to get my standard award.

Can I warm up by riding around the other roads into sleaford as I only have a big turbo or is that frowned upon?

The start-sheet should list any restrictions on warming up.  Generally, avoid passing the start or finish.

« Reply #1593 on: 16 May, 2016, 11:30:31 pm »
Do warm up, do remember your turbo if you intend to use it, do remember to swap your turbo skewer, don't use a turbo near houses, don't warmup on the course or near the start or finish, don't get lost during your warmup, do leave enough time to get to the start after your warm up but not so much that you get cold again (dark art), do smash it.

« Reply #1594 on: 17 May, 2016, 06:21:55 am »
thanks.  modestly excited.  I am not a natural racer so this is all new to me.  I think it was the VTTA web site that got me interested and that i could beat myself so it isn't really a race!

rob

« Reply #1595 on: 17 May, 2016, 06:41:36 am »

That's the course I rode on Sunday in the Bourne Wheelers event. They used the pub in Silk Willoughby as the HQ. I rode to the start from Lincoln do was quite warm already. I did a couple of hard 1 mile efforts on the road between SW and Sleaford and then dumped my track top back at the pub. It was a 10 minute ride to the start point.

Course not entirely flat and single carriageway. There's one bend which I took on the tri bars on the way out but used the base bars on the way back. Save a bit for the last 1-2 miles where there's a slight drag and then the last half mile is downhill.

Edit.   There doesn't seem to be a restriction on warming up on turbos.   A few riders had driven to the A15 and there's a few parking spots on the left and right very close to the start.   Personally, I'd find that a faff but I'm not as serious as some of the big hitters.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1596 on: 17 May, 2016, 09:04:28 am »
is that a Scottish requirement?

We have them for Opens (at every major* junction), but not Club events - except at the start, and they're no trouble for the "start team" to pick up straight away. (n.b. I'm no TT rules guru - in England or anywhere else! I just do whatever job I'm given.)

*or something
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1597 on: 17 May, 2016, 11:51:16 am »
We have to place signs for every event.  The effing big ones are mandatory for main roads.  I even attended a Highways training course with CTT bigwigs on how to place signs.  We were told, more-or-less, that placing signs on dual-carriageways, clearways, etc., was too dangerous and/or illegal.  Then CTT tell us we have to put them out.  Joseph Heller is smiling down on us.

« Reply #1598 on: 17 May, 2016, 06:02:27 pm »
Thanks Rob.  I certainly won't be taking my turbo as i do not want to be taken as serious!

Chris

David Martin

« Reply #1599 on: 17 May, 2016, 10:28:50 pm »
is that a Scottish requirement?

We have them for Opens (at every major* junction), but not Club events - except at the start, and they're no trouble for the "start team" to pick up straight away. (n.b. I'm no TT rules guru - in England or anywhere else! I just do whatever job I'm given.)

*or something

Not as far as I am aware but it is part of the 'good practice' where you warn the other road users. What is the difference from a drivers point fo view if it is a club or an open event? We sign confined and open events to the same high standard. Access to the road is easy and safe for signing with a parallel cycle path.