Author Topic: AUK Finances and Website Project was: AUK Chairman Statement  (Read 119475 times)

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
Re: AUK CHAIRMAN STATEMENT
« Reply #225 on: 13 September, 2018, 06:56:42 pm »
This may ruffle a few feathers, and I know its only £50 increase, but when prices are hiked for the membership to avoid insolvency, its nice to see the board getting a pay rise.

Like when MPs got a pay rise as they froze public sector wages. That was an independent body though wasn't it?
Rule 77

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #226 on: 13 September, 2018, 08:01:54 pm »
I don't begrudge the Board's honoraria.

If I'm eligible for FREE Life Membership at 65, AUK will only get a year's increased subs from me when I'm 64, as my commuted membership runs till 2022. I think there are many AUKs of a similar vintage to mine who will not help improve the cashflow.

« Reply #227 on: 13 September, 2018, 08:17:35 pm »
What is this FREE life membership?

« Reply #228 on: 13 September, 2018, 08:33:09 pm »
Ah.  That reminds me...

« Reply #229 on: 13 September, 2018, 08:34:19 pm »
Of what?!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #230 on: 13 September, 2018, 08:40:06 pm »
I think AUKs over 65 with 20 years' membership get free Life Membership but have to pay for Arrivée but might be mistook.

Things may change.

I am 60. I have been a member of AUK for 25 years.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #231 on: 13 September, 2018, 08:47:11 pm »
I think AUKs over 65 with 20 years' membership get free Life Membership but have to pay for Arrivée but might be mistook.

Things may change.

Your Arrivée yearly subscription will be £19, but if you pay for 5 years in advance you can get it for £65.00*

* Only applies for members  aged 65 years or older. In 5 years time we will be increasing the minimum age for this bargain subscription rate to  aged 70 years or over.

« Reply #232 on: 13 September, 2018, 08:48:23 pm »

Things may change.

Ah, thanks Helen!

Peter

« Reply #233 on: 13 September, 2018, 09:11:39 pm »

Things may change.

10 years continuous.  Scroll to 4.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #234 on: 13 September, 2018, 09:24:44 pm »
Arrivée is currently £9 per year if you get a hard copy by post.

I might not bother if I'm Old and Poor.

« Reply #235 on: 13 September, 2018, 10:29:13 pm »
the current board attitude .

By which you mean?

I can’t speak for Feline and don’t pretend to - these are my opinions only - but it’s now two weeks since the emergency telecon and the Board still haven’t posted any message of any kind on either Aukweb or the AUK Forum to inform the members of the outcome - not even a brief message in lieu of official minutes. That’s not an ‘attitude’ to be celebrated.

More broadly, the supplier is still in place and is still filling its boots with our money, the Board that failed to oversee the project is still in place, that same Board has decided (unless on 29/8 it decided to the contrary, but they haven’t deigned to tell us) to throw a massive amount of good money after bad, and that same Board has declared in the pages of the club magazine that it has the right to write massive cheques at our expense without consulting us. Again, not an ‘attitude’ to be celebrated.

Yeah I think you have summarised my point fairly well there.
But post 96 on here is the last official response, then nothing. Pathetic really. http://forum.audax.uk/index.php?topic=1564.165
I personally voted against many of the current committee because I though they were totally out of touch with the membership. Seems I was absolutely right to be worried.

All I read is people justifying signing a contract that AUK cannot afford now or ever (and seemingly limitless at the whim of some fly-by-night IT company)- if any of us did this in our day job we would be out on our ear, and rightly so.

« Reply #236 on: 14 September, 2018, 11:56:15 am »
I will be 65 next Autumn, so assuming membership remains the same for the end of this year (for 2019) I should be entitled to free life membership at the end of next year (for 2020 and beyond) so basically AUK wont be getting much extra income out of me.  I can only imagine others that are not quite as lucky as me might choose to end their membership for which AUK would make even less income than what they had originally expected.

I would have thought an EGM would have been called for by now by the membership.

hillbilly

« Reply #237 on: 14 September, 2018, 01:14:48 pm »
The Board seem to be auditioning for roles in a reboot of a British comedy series. "Carry On Regardless".

Sid James: "Babs, what a juicy figure."
Babs Windsor: "Heee heee. do you mean the fees needed for my bust projections?"
Sid James: "Wawawa, yes hopefully the subscription increase will stop us going bust."
Charles Hawtrey: "Ooo, hello, does somebody need me to fill a hole?"
Babs Windsor: "Heee heee I don't think you've got it in you"
Charles Hawtrey: "Oooo, do let me finish. A hole in the budget."
Sid James: "Wawawa".

etc.

« Reply #238 on: 14 September, 2018, 02:00:59 pm »
What happened to the 'reformers', who pushed for online voting, and initiated the IT project?

If we're going to start rebooting film genres, we need to assemble a full cast. Those who pushed to reduce the bank balance should have their moment in the spotlight.

I don't think that candidates with big ideas are suddenly going to revitalise the board. Caretakers with a sense of duty perhaps.

« Reply #239 on: 14 September, 2018, 02:06:18 pm »
What’s so frustratingly dysfunctional about the current situation compared to the corporate environment is that the Board is acting both as the Executive and and as the Governance / Oversight body.

So, the Board has presided over an almighty IT project cock-up but that same Board is also in authority over both the short term (throw good money after bad vs. cancel - probably after completing phase one - and re-plan) and long term (new financial model) remedies.

In a properly-functioning corporate environment after an IT cock-up threatening the organisation’s financial viability, the expectation would be that the Governance / Oversight body would step-in, prevent the Executive from marking it’s own homework and from falling so glaringly for the sunk cost fallacy.

If the Board was acting honourably the right thing to do would be to collectively resign, then stand again (if willing) which would give members the option of re-electing them if members have confidence in them, or elect others - if others step forward - if they don’t.
Eddington Number = 132

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #240 on: 14 September, 2018, 06:41:34 pm »
Oh well, never mind.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #241 on: 14 September, 2018, 07:24:40 pm »
If the Board was acting honourably the right thing to do would be to collectively resign, then stand again (if willing) which would give members the option of re-electing them if members have confidence in them, or elect others - if others step forward - if they don’t.
AUK has annual elections (I think): so I'm not sure what difference your suggestion would make.  ???
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Chris S

« Reply #242 on: 14 September, 2018, 07:29:18 pm »
* rubs hands *

Reunion should be a blast! There'll be booze. Should I bring weapons?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #243 on: 14 September, 2018, 07:33:33 pm »
The Chairman, Treasurer and Secretary have three year terms. Everybody else is annual elections.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #244 on: 14 September, 2018, 07:35:10 pm »
The Chairman, Treasurer and Secretary have three year terms. Everybody else is annual elections.
Ah! thanks for the correction.

(when are the current 3 up? )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #245 on: 14 September, 2018, 07:35:18 pm »
* rubs hands *

AGM is separate from Reunion now though...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #246 on: 14 September, 2018, 07:49:40 pm »
The intent was that there would be an election for one of either Chairman, Treasurer or Secretary each year. The Chairman got re-elected at the last AGM but there has been some turnover in the other positions, so I am unsure which position is up this year. It may an election to confirm an appointment by the Board this year.

I'd expect the Board to answer some tough questions at the Reunion (can't really escape it) but I'm quite disappointed how little information has been forthcoming in the past fortnight.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Chris S

« Reply #247 on: 14 September, 2018, 07:56:25 pm »
* rubs hands *

AGM is separate from Reunion now though...

So?  ;D

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #248 on: 14 September, 2018, 08:09:21 pm »
When is the reunion ? I may rejoin now there has been a shakeup of certain positions....I fancy a ride anyway.

Chris S

« Reply #249 on: 14 September, 2018, 08:13:12 pm »
When is the reunion ? I may rejoin now there has been a shakeup of certain positions....I fancy a ride anyway.

Well, as Helly says, the reunion is different to the AGM, so if you want to be all official and Do it with Voting, then you need the AGM.

If you want to drink your own weight in Ale, then back some poor hapless board-member into a corner brandishing a bar mat shouting "WHY? Why did you DO IT?" then the reunion is probably for you.