Author Topic: Exotic things you have eaten  (Read 11041 times)

Re: Exotic things you have eaten
« Reply #50 on: 18 November, 2015, 08:19:48 am »
Crocodile.

Tasted like chicken - but what doesn't?
It might have been badly prepared but the croc I had was like slimey chicken.

Antelope doesn't taste like chicken
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

ian

« Reply #51 on: 18 November, 2015, 08:34:44 am »
Crocodile.

It might have been badly prepared but the croc I had was like slimey chicken.

Antelope doesn't taste like chicken

See also frog. Slimy chicken too, unless they fry the hell out of it.

Durian is all oppressive smell and very little actual taste.

Anyway, scotch egg. They must have weird chickens up there.

« Reply #52 on: 18 November, 2015, 09:48:19 am »
Just remembered:

Indonesia - Durian. Delicious. A big favourite in Indonesia. Not allowed in many hotels or on aircraft though!

:sick:

Horrible stuff. Even the smell of durian stalls in the cities makes me gag.

Acquired taste for sure. Presumably acquired by removing one's tastebuds with sulphuric acid and a wire brush?

LOL. With me the taste was acquired immediately. First bite. I sometimes buy dried durian but it's not a patch on the fresh stuff.

Perhaps my taste buds were destroyed by the my lunatic colleagues smoking kretec. The worst offender was Adri. He put the no-smoking sign up in the computer room and constantly filled the room with a kretec fugg like a late 60s bar room. "No smoking? That doesn't apply to me - I was the one who put the sign up."   ???

Indonesian logic - you can't argue with it.
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

« Reply #53 on: 18 November, 2015, 12:54:12 pm »
Yum.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #54 on: 18 November, 2015, 04:11:06 pm »

Scotch eggses.  Food of the Gods.  I once dropped one and watched it roll across a petrol station forecourt :(. I retrieved it from the base of the pumps and ate it anyway nom nom nom :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #55 on: 18 November, 2015, 04:16:12 pm »
I never got Scotch eggs, until pubs in London started serving freshly made ones with semi set yolks. They are gorgeous, the stuff pre packaged in chiller cabinets, not so good.

« Reply #56 on: 18 November, 2015, 04:18:35 pm »
I make my own lower-carb versions, with runny yolks, lincolnshire sausage(meat) and rolled in parmesan. They are the yummiest.

fuzzy

« Reply #57 on: 18 November, 2015, 04:19:36 pm »
Chiller cabinets are built to store Ginsters pasties. Not the best pasty in the world by a long chalk but, IMHO the best available at short notice when in need of savoury sustenance.

« Reply #58 on: 18 November, 2015, 04:32:28 pm »
LOL. Mrs Cyclist is Cornish. One day I'll get her to review Ginsters for you. When someone has moved this thread to NSFW ...
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

ian

« Reply #59 on: 18 November, 2015, 05:07:21 pm »
Dirty pasties are an essential part of any growing boy's diet. It's award-winning pastry manna available from any train station. They're frankly the best bit of the Christmas party season. I think one of my friends actually moved further down the line so he has an excuse to buy two for his now extended journey home. It's important to stay adequately nourished when drunk and travelling by train.

I confess to consuming posh Scotch eggs, the sort made with chorizo and spaniel or some such and available from those ubiquitous street food vendors. You probably can't have street food up north as the streets are too dirty and filled with animal waste products, but we like it in London. Us Londoners pretty much stopped eating indoors back in 2012 and merely hang around random vans and stalls waiting to be fed.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #60 on: 18 November, 2015, 05:20:31 pm »
Last week I spotted an emporium claiming to sell "Vietnamese Street Food".  Closer examination revealed that it was in fact a restaurant with no takeaway menu.  This was in Islington, mind, where there is a long and (dis)honourable tradition of words meaning whatever the bright spark at the Institute of Advanced Language-Mangling decides they mean.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #61 on: 18 November, 2015, 06:04:47 pm »
In a few years time the exotic food will be British food that's disappeared. The pie and mash shop in Shepherds Bush has gone, there are reports of the demise of an oatcake shop in Stoke. I need to find a pub that serves a proper ploughman's lunch with salad cream, so my other half can experience it before they disappear.

I was a big fan of heinz vegetable salad.  Salad should come  in a tin not plastic containers.

fuzzy

« Reply #62 on: 19 November, 2015, 01:35:27 pm »
LOL. Mrs Cyclist is Cornish. One day I'll get her to review Ginsters for you. When someone has moved this thread to NSFW ...

Mrs Fuzzy has links to that there Cornwall and we make regular trips. The main reason for the trips is visiting rellies BUT, the thing that makes it bearable is the return journey with a boot full of Healeys medium dry scrumpy cider, Roddas clotted cream and a several of boxes of Crantock Bakery pasties.

Proper Cornish pasties are a thing of beauty. Ginsters are the most acceptable substitute for when the supplies run out.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #63 on: 19 November, 2015, 01:43:20 pm »
Crocodile.

Turkey.

Yebbut what does turkey taste  like?
Tofu?

Good grief, no - at least tofu has some flavour!  I well remember turkey with all the allure of warm dry cardboard.
Getting there...

« Reply #64 on: 19 November, 2015, 02:03:18 pm »
Just remembered:

Indonesia - Durian. Delicious. A big favourite in Indonesia. Not allowed in many hotels or on aircraft though!

Acquired taste for sure. Presumably acquired by removing one's tastebuds with sulphuric acid and a wire brush?

Ais kacang, anyone?  :sick:

Yes, that really is sweetcorn.  And kidney beans.  And a generous splat of durian in there.  Truly horrendous.

« Reply #65 on: 19 November, 2015, 02:16:59 pm »

Mrs Fuzzy has links to that there Cornwall and we make regular trips. The main reason for the trips is visiting rellies BUT, the thing that makes it bearable is the return journey with a boot full of Healeys medium dry scrumpy cider, Roddas clotted cream and a several of boxes of Crantock Bakery pasties.

Proper Cornish pasties are a thing of beauty. Ginsters are the most acceptable substitute for when the supplies run out.

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #66 on: 19 November, 2015, 02:29:44 pm »
There's filipino Cheddar cheese and sweetcorn ice cream for those who like sweetcorn in dessert

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #67 on: 20 November, 2015, 10:06:27 pm »
Just remembered:

Ais kacang, anyone?  :sick:

Yes, that really is sweetcorn.  And kidney beans.  And a generous splat of durian in there.  Truly horrendous.

Do you feel better for that?

« Reply #68 on: 21 November, 2015, 12:15:47 am »
Had Bear in a Siberian restaurant on Pushkin Boulevard in Moscow last week.  Tasted strong.  Told Mrs FF it tasted like Pooh ... she didn't get the joke ....

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #69 on: 08 December, 2015, 03:56:34 am »
Crocodile.

The chicken served by the food vendor at the last trade show I attended.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #70 on: 08 December, 2015, 12:31:07 pm »
A pig's ear smothered in BBQ sauce in some hipsterish BBQ place off Carnaby Street. Was ok.

« Reply #71 on: 08 December, 2015, 02:04:11 pm »
My uncle, who lived in Hong Kong from the early '80s to 1997, says that the most difficult thing to get his head around eating was pigs' fallopian tubes in fish blood.

« Reply #72 on: 08 December, 2015, 02:49:10 pm »
Quorn when you look it up is quite strange. Microscopic mushroom like crap found growing in earth bound together with egg white.

« Reply #73 on: 08 December, 2015, 07:17:08 pm »
Salt Liquorice from Finland.

A work colleague brought back several packets for about 10 people. He later admitted he did it as a joke as he found it disgusting and thought everyone at work would too.

He was mostly right. I was the only one who ate more than one piece. I ended up with it all.

I also like salt lassi  (the yoghurt based Indian drink - not the dog). Most staff in Indian restaurants in the UK are surprised when I ask if they'll do a salt lassi instead of a sweet one.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #74 on: 08 December, 2015, 09:55:28 pm »
I make my own lower-carb versions, with runny yolks, lincolnshire sausage(meat) and rolled in parmesan. They are the yummiest.

Sounds yummy, make me one and I'll give it a review ;)