Author Topic: Mobile phone advice  (Read 2739 times)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Mobile phone advice
« on: 20 July, 2009, 09:30:36 am »
Eldest peep is moving to a new school in Sept so we thought we'd get her a phone. Must be pink or other girly colour and have a camera. Anyone know of any good deals going? PAYG, not contract, obv.
Pen Pusher

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Mobile phone advice
« Reply #1 on: 20 July, 2009, 01:03:34 pm »
Orange has this for £9.50 but you'll need £10 top-up as well.
http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/handset/alcatel_ot-s319/detail/pay_as_you_go

« Reply #2 on: 20 July, 2009, 01:06:36 pm »
T-mobile do contacts for kids. Basically they let you do say £15 a month on the contact and if they use that up then they have to top it up with a PAYG card. That's what I use for Master Pcolbeck. He's been very good with it and has only had to use a top up once in 2 years. Girls however are different ...
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #3 on: 20 July, 2009, 01:56:23 pm »
T-mobile do contacts for kids. Basically they let you do say £15 a month on the contact

She's not having £15/mo spent on her phone! But I'll check out the options anyway. Ta :).
Pen Pusher

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #4 on: 20 July, 2009, 01:57:38 pm »
Orange has this for £9.50 but you'll need £10 top-up as well.
http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/handset/alcatel_ot-s319/detail/pay_as_you_go

That's cute, but no mention of a camera :(.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #5 on: 20 July, 2009, 02:11:12 pm »
T-mobile do contacts for kids. Basically they let you do say £15 a month on the contact

She's not having £15/mo spent on her phone! But I'll check out the options anyway. Ta :).

With girls it's the txting that gets out of hand. Boys are more like "meet you at 5:30 on Halo level 7 by". They can make a few pounds of credit go a long way. Girls need 100 txts per evening or they think they aren't in with the in crowd. Watch out :)
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #6 on: 20 July, 2009, 02:58:53 pm »
I second what pcolbeck says.  Girls see their friends all day then expect to either talk for hours (on the home phone  :demon: ) or send 100's of texts to them all evening, whereas the boys conversation is usually a lot shorter than the one quoted above, and genetrally just consists of three grunts.

Has your daughter expressed any preference as these things are very important to kids.  Obviously you need to keep the cost down but it is all about image, and nothing to do with cost or practicality of the phone.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #7 on: 24 August, 2009, 11:12:11 am »
Got a pink Samsung from CPW on Voda payg. £30 (with £10 credit) and she loves it!
Pen Pusher

« Reply #8 on: 24 August, 2009, 11:55:41 am »
Get unlimited texts and an indestructable phone!

My stepdaughter sends 3-4000 texts per month  and trashed a Samsung with a slidy case in 4 months.

« Reply #9 on: 24 August, 2009, 12:34:47 pm »

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #10 on: 24 August, 2009, 12:40:38 pm »

3-4000 texts per month 

:o

My thoughts, too. If/when she gets to that level she can pay for it herself!
Pen Pusher

« Reply #11 on: 24 August, 2009, 12:43:23 pm »
Heh. 53 last month according to my bill. Still a way to go to get to my allowance of 600/month.

How many of those 3-4000 are just "LOL" or "kthxbai" ?

Text messages are cheap. Even a £20 a month plan (on a 24 month contract) from Vodafone includes unlimited texts along with 300 minutes.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #12 on: 24 August, 2009, 12:49:29 pm »

3-4000 texts per month 

:o

Tell me!  we got her to cut down last month, to under 3000.  her, and her friends, repeat everything theyve talked at at school , mostly rubbish, and then repeat it all on MSN as well.  I've read some of her MSN conversations and they are frighteningly  in their lack of any real content ;D  If her texts mirror this, and I'm sure they do, then probably 50 out of the 3000 are actually meaningful.

Her brother on the other hand has a phone which is 12 months old and looks like new. He uses 2 of his 300 free minutes a month talktime and although he does text , they mostly have no more than three words ;D

« Reply #13 on: 24 August, 2009, 01:25:34 pm »
Her brother on the other hand has a phone which is 12 months old and looks like new. He uses 2 of his 300 free minutes a month talktime and although he does text , they mostly have no more than three words ;D
So tell me, how much per minute does that work out at?

gonzo

« Reply #14 on: 24 August, 2009, 01:34:03 pm »
Car insurance is more expensive for blokes because they are more likely to crash. Why are unlimited talk plans not more expensive for girls?

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #15 on: 24 August, 2009, 04:15:09 pm »
MSN and broadband.. I unplug the wireless router when I want to see my daughter and she then emerges from her room..

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #16 on: 24 August, 2009, 04:41:45 pm »
So tell me, how much per minute does that work out at?

No idea, probably about £5 :o  but he's on the cheapest tariff and cant get fewer minutes, but wants the text allowance to grunt on ;D