Author Topic: Extension ladders - where to buy?  (Read 1479 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Extension ladders - where to buy?
« on: 22 August, 2009, 04:55:05 pm »
I'm in the hunt for a decent set of extension ladders (plus accessories). Aluminium should suffice.

Anyone got any recommendations for suppliers?

Thanks!
It is simpler than it looks.

alan

Re: Extension ladders - where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: 22 August, 2009, 06:08:50 pm »
B & Q

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #2 on: 22 August, 2009, 09:33:56 pm »
Screwfix.

Treewheeler

« Reply #3 on: 22 August, 2009, 10:09:36 pm »
If your cutting hedges, painting walls or pointing walls then look at Henchman.
Google them, made in the U.K too.

alan

« Reply #4 on: 23 August, 2009, 03:54:24 pm »
Contact a local tool hire company & ask them for a price for any surplus stock they may have.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #5 on: 23 August, 2009, 04:39:22 pm »
If your cutting hedges, painting walls or pointing walls then look at Henchman.
Google them, made in the U.K too.

Interesting, except I don't have any hedges, have sloping surrounds to the house and need 8.5m of height!  ;D

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6 on: 23 August, 2009, 05:56:17 pm »
I bought one from Globe Ladders in Birmingham - Globe Ladders - Leading Manufacturer of Ladders and Related Products  - being a biggish chap (as you are) I was recommended to get the "tradesman model" rather than the flimsy DIY one - AND I bought a triple rather than a double as it is more flexible (metaphorically!) in use and easier to store/transport etc.

Rob

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #7 on: 23 August, 2009, 07:08:29 pm »
Yes, I'd thought about triples, and I was also committed to going up the Tradesman's way too, seeing as I pack some pretty heavy equipment at times.  ;D

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #8 on: 23 August, 2009, 08:25:06 pm »
Yes, I'd thought about triples, and I was also committed to going up the Tradesman's way too, seeing as I pack some pretty heavy equipment at times.  ;D

I hope that's not an invitation to the showers next we ride the track at Newport  :hand: :hand: :hand:

Rob

« Reply #9 on: 24 August, 2009, 08:30:29 pm »
Definately worth paying a bit extra and getting a "trade"version rather than "DIY" as they will last longer and feel safer in use (less flexible) the downside is that they are heavier.  The triple section makes it easier to store and carry about, but again is heavier than a twin section.  I've got a Youngmans triple section one and it has been excellent and seen a fair bit of use.  The best ladder by far is a wooden pole ladder, but they just come in single sections so you need to buy one the length that you need, so storage is more than a bit tricky.........

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #10 on: 25 August, 2009, 10:57:33 pm »
I have two ladders. One is a standard B&Q DIY one. The other is a tradesmans one.

The difference is considerable. The trade one is about 7m long for each section, and each section weighs more than the total weight of the B&Q one. Very heavy - almost too heavy for me to move around. Rated extended length is about 35ft.

The gain is solidity. It is fantastically rigid. You could use it as a bridge. 4" I beams either side from thick Alu.

The other one is 'interesting'when you get it anywhere aproaching half extension. I am not terribly fond of using it but it does one storey just fine.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes