Author Topic: NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light  (Read 102894 times)

Re: NEW - Busch & Muller Luxos Front Light
« Reply #275 on: 10 April, 2015, 04:34:12 pm »
The Axa is half the price. The Luxos (I've ridden alongside several) is not twice as good.
If money was no object I might go for a Luxos... but it seems you're quite likely to have to send it back...?

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #276 on: 10 April, 2015, 04:39:03 pm »
... but it seems you're quite likely to have to send it back...?

I've had mine for awhile now and it's been fine [fingers crossed, I hope it doesn't go pfffft tonight]

« Reply #277 on: 15 April, 2015, 04:11:31 pm »
Quite late addition to the discussion. FWIW, I've run an AXA since LEL 2013, where it was brilliant (and reliable) and kept me, and various electricals (Garmin, phone etc.) running very well.
However, it's recently been less reliable, with (in particular) the charging being intermittent.
So, I upgraded to a Luxos U, which has a brilliant beam-pattern, but I seem unable to get the hang of the switching or, FTM, the charging, where I've yet to get the "charging available" light come on at all !
Now, I've not give it a good "shake-down" ride, where all may become clear..........but I'm tempted to carry the AXA as a (mostly) reliable spare,........seeming to defeat the object of upgrading (doh !).
"the only constant is inconstancy"
Alistair (pieeater) Dulwich Paragon

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #278 on: 14 May, 2015, 09:22:30 pm »
Well, my new one on the fixed appears to have gone puff after 500km.

It was wet tonight, really wet.

I got home and it wouldn't turn off. I was so cold and wet, I really couldn't have cared less.

Anyway - it now won't turn on from either the handlebar switch or the back of the light.

Damnit. The other one (with detachable lead) has done many, many km and in some grim conditions.

I will have to dig out receipts and look at getting it sorted.

Half of me is tempted not to have a luxos as I don't use the USB charging, but the light is very good.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #279 on: 15 May, 2015, 09:28:38 am »
I'm sure there are many satisfied owners out there that we don't hear from but Audaxing tests stuff pretty thoroughly and we seem to be hearing of a steady number of failures of the Luxos. I do use the USB charging function though and would be reluctant to lose it; perhaps it's time to fire up the Google-fu and start looking for alternatives?

« Reply #280 on: 15 May, 2015, 01:14:48 pm »
I'm sure there are many satisfied owners out there that we don't hear from but Audaxing tests stuff pretty thoroughly ...
Mine was showing water droplets under the translucent cover of the handlebar switch after the BC400 but, so far - touch wood,  still carries on working for both lighting and USB output.
I tend to run the Etrex HCx off it permanently now (with AA for back-up) as it is quite happy even at night with front & back illumination.
Chinese Cree XML torch on lockblock mount is there as a back up/ and for throwing a beam a long way down the road.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #281 on: 15 May, 2015, 01:52:44 pm »
My brand new Luxos also survived the BC400

It's got quite a lot of parts to it to go wrong as well as the light 1) the cache battery 2) the switch 3) the USB charger

I am not expecting it to last as well as previous, simpler B&M lights.  But all it has to do is get through the BCM, some training rides and PBP.  I don't think that is too much to ask

Oscar's dad

« Reply #282 on: 06 October, 2015, 05:24:46 pm »
... but it seems you're quite likely to have to send it back...?

I've had  mine for awhile now and it's been fine [fingers crossed, I hope it doesn't go pfffft tonight]

Bottoms!

I now have two of these.  The first must be well over a year old and never given any trouble.  The second is just a few months old and fitted to my new Surly.

The weekend before last I noticed the red LED built into the handlebar switch of the newer light was glowing much brighter than I remember.  The same was true last Wednesday evening.  Then the light started flashing and wouldn't switch off.  I disconnected it from the hub but still the flashing continued, obviously powered by the cache battery.

I contacted Rose and have just sent it back to them.  Thus far their returns system seems very smooth and I sent it back for free.  We'll wait to see what happens next.

In the meantime I have taken the older light off the Ribble and it seems quite happy on the Surly.

« Reply #283 on: 06 October, 2015, 10:43:05 pm »
My Luxos-U from Rose Bikes was purchased in Nov 2013. It recently lost its main beam, and then seemed to lose USB charging power. The Rose returns procedure seems to be working well and smoothly so far for me as well - I posted it back to them for free using a PDF returns label, and they have emailed me saying the replacement is on its way. Let's hope this one lasts longer than the first!

« Reply #284 on: 07 October, 2015, 01:30:39 pm »
I have just bought a B&M light although not a Luxos, tis a IQ Premium to replace the much abused original (40 lux ?) IQ which had started to switch itself off at odd times, with what I have read on this thread about the unreliability problems with B&M lights I am wondering if I have made the right decision.
       My main light a Lumicycle (I am belt and braces and like two lights both front and rear) although more expensive has been excellent, I always understood B&M to be really good but the failure/problem rate seems quite high.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #285 on: 07 October, 2015, 01:34:06 pm »
Had a IQ Cyo Premium for about an year now - no problems and excellent beam shape.  Just bought another with DRL for the wife - we'll see how it goes!

« Reply #286 on: 07 October, 2015, 05:42:47 pm »
I have just bought a B&M light although not a Luxos, tis a IQ Premium to replace the much abused original (40 lux ?) IQ which had started to switch itself off at odd times, with what I have read on this thread about the unreliability problems with B&M lights I am wondering if I have made the right decision.
       My main light a Lumicycle (I am belt and braces and like two lights both front and rear) although more expensive has been excellent, I always understood B&M to be really good but the failure/problem rate seems quite high.

I do struggle with the idea that BuM lights are 'really good'. Sure, they are optically clever, but the battery cover on the Ixon  premium  is dire and the bar mounting is poor. The best bit though is the Blue Peter sticky backed plastic  bodge to fix the 'light in the eyes' problem.  Hardly what  you  might  expect from well thought through  design.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #287 on: 07 October, 2015, 06:41:17 pm »
I do struggle with the idea that BuM lights are 'really good'. Sure, they are optically clever, but the battery cover on the Ixon  premium  is dire and the bar mounting is poor. The best bit though is the Blue Peter sticky backed plastic  bodge to fix the 'light in the eyes' problem.  Hardly what  you  might  expect from well thought through  design.

That's because when they finished designing the IQ Fly, they passed the designs to the work experience kid who knocked up a battery version on a Friday afternoon, and called it the Ixon IQ.

The Fly and Cyo - in their various forms - have proven to be extremely reliable, as this forum of hardcore dynamo light users will testify.  Being dynamo lights, they avoid the bracket and battery compartment issues, and the de rigueur fork crown mounting makes light in your eyes a non-problem.

Similarly, the thing that tends to go wrong on B&M rear lights is the switch.  Pure dynamo lights don't have one, so are reliable.

The Luxos appears to be a more fragile beast.  External connectors and a rechargeable battery were always going to introduce new points of failure.   :-\

Disclaimer:  This household has 1 Cyo, 2 Cyo Rs and a Cyo Premium, all of which work flawlessly.  And the remains of an IxonIQ that I eventually gave up bodging back to life after the battery compartment self-destructed and water ingress killed the electronics.  I'd quite like a Luxos U on my tourer, but I have to wait for either its Cyo to fail, or an n+1 opportunity first.

« Reply #288 on: 08 October, 2015, 11:34:57 am »

Some B&M light models are solid as rocks (eg the Cyo), some are not. The Luxos seems to be in the "not" category.

« Reply #289 on: 08 October, 2015, 02:58:31 pm »

Some B&M light models are solid as rocks (eg the Cyo), some are not. The Luxos seems to be in the "not" category.

I've got an original Cyo (Senso Plus model) where the switch has failed to always on. Not really a problem, in the scheme of things.

« Reply #290 on: 03 November, 2015, 01:37:48 pm »
Just catching up with this thread.   
My original 2013 Luxos U with the plug in switch/charger worked fine for most of that year before giving up the ghost and refusing to accept any power from the hub,  a bit inconvenient as I had just set off I'm the early morning December blackness to ECE the Tinsel and Lanes Audax.   I relied on a couple of blinkies to get me round before sending the light back to dotbike for a no quibble swap to the newer wired in switch version which I've had ever since.   
This newer one hasn't been problem free though.   On the Pendle this year in that dampness it decided to go into flashing mode - (didn't know it had a flashing mode - it has now!).   Turns out moisture was getting into the remote switch /USB charge port.   As I only ever charge stuff via a micro USB This has now been fixed and weatherproofed by plugging in a short micro USB lead and sealing the lead/charge port interface with sugru.   This lead is now there semi permanently.   

I also have a 2013 vintage Luxos B which has done sterling service in all weathers on my commuter.   I'll have to check, but I think it's done more miles too.   Never had an issue with this lamp at all (*tempts fate before tonight's commute home *)
I prefer it's light output to the U version too,  seems better at low speeds, though that might be down to the Shimano hub rather than the SON Delux on the other bike.   No gimmicky slow speed light jiggery-pokery either.   

A lot of the issues with the Luxos U seem to be to do with the remote switch /charger, So If you just want a light I would recommend the Luxos B version.
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #291 on: 11 November, 2015, 12:38:00 pm »
Think the handlebar switch is faulty on mine. The red LED no longer works and it's only a month old. I'll send it back. What's the e-werk (USB one) like for reliability? I may ask to part exchange for that and a reliable headlight.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #292 on: 11 November, 2015, 10:34:39 pm »
I had similar with mine after I allowed it to remain charging my garmin and drained the internal battery. Took a good 3 miles or so before it would operate properly again.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #293 on: 15 November, 2015, 10:47:36 pm »
I had similar with mine after I allowed it to remain charging my garmin and drained the internal battery. Took a good 3 miles or so before it would operate properly again.

Had another look at it tonight. The red light took a whole hour (at 24km/hr) of continuous riding to light up, is that normal?

Also occasionally at low speed it would flicker then blast out a bright white flash of light (bit like a camera flash) then continue with normal beam brightness.

The switch is incredibly hard to switch on and off too. God help anyone with arthritis!

Does any of this sound familiar? Wished I'd spotted this thread sooner as I probably would have gone for a Cyo and e-werk instead!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #294 on: 16 November, 2015, 06:51:37 am »
^^^  Sorry to inform you but no that isn't normal.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #295 on: 16 November, 2015, 08:03:25 am »
Agree with OD
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #296 on: 16 November, 2015, 08:23:41 am »
I have found IQ Fly and Cyo variants utterly reliable and am yet to have a failure.   I also recently acquired a B&M usb-werk for charging on the move.   I'm a fan of keeping systems separate as a failure in one doesn't affect anything else.

Where I have had a B&M failure is on a 4D Toplight rear light.   The Switch has become rather slack and could do with a genius opening it up and fettling it.   

« Reply #297 on: 16 November, 2015, 10:58:02 am »
Thanks guys, I thought it wasn't normal. I'll send it back to Germany. It's a shame as I love the beam pattern (wide and bright without dazzling oncoming traffic). Think I'll go for the Cyo or possibly try the Luxos B or Eyc - with my fingers crossed!

« Reply #298 on: 19 November, 2015, 01:13:55 pm »
I've got my nice SON Delux wheel from Mike Conway & now need a light to venture into dynamo lighting for the first time (I'll ignore that tyre-driven dynamo light I had as a kid).

I'm coming from bight battery lights (Exposure Toro) though with a symmetrical beam it's been angled down a lot to avoid blinding the cars.  I plan to keep that for mountain biking for which it's better suited IMHO.

I'm still torn between the Luxos U , or the Edelux II.  Both look great, I really wanted USB charging, but give the concerns about reliability of the Luxos I guess the edelux may have to win :/

« Reply #299 on: 19 November, 2015, 01:54:20 pm »
I'm still torn between the Luxos U , or the Edelux II.  Both look great, I really wanted USB charging, but give the concerns about reliability of the Luxos I guess the edelux may have to win :/

You know B&M have just started doing something called an IQ-X?  Looks like a higher quality construction variant of the Cyo, similar to an Edelux.  Don't know where that puts their relationship with SON, who buy the B&M reflector to produce the Edelux.