Author Topic: Running Windows on my Mac  (Read 1552 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Running Windows on my Mac
« on: 27 August, 2013, 12:35:38 pm »
I'm sure I was reading a thread about this in the last day or two on here but I can't find it so maybe it was elsewhere.

Anyway, here's the situation.

I use an iMac 27" for my work and my leisure.
One small aspect of work (using a database to calculate songwriter royalties from various files sent to me) requires my old PC with Microsoft Access. I use this once per quarter.

I have also kept our financial records on the PC in Microsoft Money for 18 years (a very useful resource!) and so I fire this up once every two months or so and add all the transactions and run reports for my tax return.

So the PC gets used every couple of months for five hours or so. It it wired in to our router and I access the PC through a Remote Desktop Connection from my iMac. The PC has no access to the internet as we have no antivirus for it. It also has no keyboard or monitor or mouse or anything - just the box plugged into the router and a slot for a USB stick of the datafiles that I need to use.

The PC is also incredibly frustrating as it takes ages to boot up (despite only running Windows, Office and Money) and is forever bleating about things. Plus it's ugly.

Anyway, next April I am moving to Germany for a year. I am taking my iMac of course but have absolutely no desire to take the PC. I do have a PC laptop that my Dad gave me (which I've never really used), a reasonable but old IBM Thinkpad. Now I could take that with me and use it for the Access/Money stuff but I'd have to use the wretched laptop keyboard and my workflow wouldn't be as good (at the moment on the iMac I copy the results from Access through the Remote Desktop and paste them into the Mac's Microsoft Excel and work on them there with all the Mac benefits).

The thread I was reading talked about a bit of software that allows you to run Windows as a window on your Mac and might be useful. It's not Bootcamp where you have to reboot (that would be a pain as I flick between getting the data from Access and manipulating it on the Mac). Anyone know anything about it and whether it might suit my purposes when I head off to the Fatherland??

Thanks in advance folks.

Oh, and I wish I could have Access and Money on the Mac but it seems not. I would be delighted for us to be an entirely-un-PC house!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: Running Windows on my Mac
« Reply #1 on: 27 August, 2013, 12:39:58 pm »
Not a mac user so there may be other (better/cheaper/free) alternatives but the "big" one I know about is Parallels Desktop.

http://www.parallels.com/

My understanding is that you can either have a Windows desktop in a window on your Mac, or even "pop" out the Access window so it appears as a (somewhat) native app on your Mac desktop.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2 on: 27 August, 2013, 12:54:16 pm »
That may be the thing - I see it's £65 which is OKish but still a bit of an outlay. I shall think a bit longer!

If it were £30 I would have bought it straight away!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3 on: 27 August, 2013, 01:11:37 pm »
Following another thread on here, I used CCCleaner to get rid of unwanted programs being initiated at start up. A dramatic improvement in time taken to switch on.

On your longer term solution, are you commited to continue using Access for third parties? You might be better migrating to other Apple applications rather than running Windows under Apple.

Does Apple have a version of Wine, an emulator that allows windos applications to run under Linux?
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #4 on: 27 August, 2013, 01:16:09 pm »
That may be the thing - I see it's £65 which is OKish but still a bit of an outlay. I shall think a bit longer!

If it were £30 I would have bought it straight away!

Also bear in mind that you might need a new Windows licence. If the licence on your old Windows PC is an OEM rather than retail licence, the T&Cs state that it's not transferrable between machines. It might be easier and cheaper to follow Wunja's suggestion and look for alternative software solutions.

For example, I don't know how well-developed the OSX fork of LibreOffice (or whatever they call themselves these days) is but I think that might be able to open - or at least import - an Access database file.

Vince

« Reply #5 on: 27 August, 2013, 01:30:02 pm »
Microsoft Money is no longer in support, so it would be advisable to find an alternate in any case.

Article to installing Wine under OS/X here

Compatibility of Money with Wine listed here
216km from Marsh Gibbon

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 27 August, 2013, 01:30:50 pm »
You can do this with VirtualBox or VMWare. VirtualBox has a free version, though it seems VMWare doesn't (on Mac OS).

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 27 August, 2013, 01:36:47 pm »
I use Parallels, others use VMware or others.

I'm currently using Parallels to demonstrate software to a customer; it is in a window, but can be full screen, or even have the windows application windows appear as if they are on Mac.

Each option has some down sides (e.g. price for Parallels!) but for what you want you don't need a all-powerful solution. You do need a Windows licence though, although Microsoft seem to be better at allowing reinstalls of XP.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #8 on: 27 August, 2013, 02:13:42 pm »
I used to use Parallels to run Windows, but I ran out of uses for Windows, so let that lapse. I did recently have a need for IE7 (don't ask, but I'm looking at you, Business Objects) and installed XP using VirtualBox and it's peachy and cost no money (I have an old OEM XP licence). I actually run the VM off a USB disk and it's still obscenely perky for an XP machine, though it hasn't had time to clutter. Anyway, it's a nice inexpensive solution that should meet your requirements to run legacy Windows software under MacOS. It supports copy and paste, seamless mouse and keyboard integration etc.

Long term though, you ought to look at migrating to newer software. I know it's a pain, but one day you'll find they no longer work. Trust me, I get calls to this day about software we discontinued a decade ago and they've discovered that after a systems upgrade that it doesn't work and, oh, 'help!

(Note that if you run Windows as VM, you should ensure it's secure – MS Security Essentials is perfectly adequate.)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #9 on: 27 August, 2013, 02:47:01 pm »
I know that Microsoft Money is well out of support but unfortunately it seems no alternative program can read its files.

I do have a separate iPhone app where I also keep financial records but that doesn't have such good reporting and of course doesn't have 18 years of records.

OpenOffice's database couldn't read my Access Database so was a non-starter.

With regard to the Access database, the company has invested in some new software which will take over this function within a year or two so I only need to keep going until then but the Microsoft Money situation is one I've tried to fix for years and failed!

Vince

« Reply #10 on: 27 August, 2013, 03:03:35 pm »
Money should be able to export data in a .qif format which other applications should be able to read (so the internet says).
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #11 on: 27 August, 2013, 03:16:23 pm »
Money should be able to export data in a .qif format which other applications should be able to read (so the internet says).
So the Internet says. I did some research a while back and found a Mac program with a free trial that supposedly could read Money files but it didn't work. And I wasted a fair few hours trying to get it to do so.

If I find myself exceptionally bored in the near future I shall have another look...

red marley

« Reply #12 on: 27 August, 2013, 03:24:46 pm »
For importing and viewing Access files on the Mac, I use the catchily titled MDB ACCDB Viewer. Assuming you are not reliant on Access forms or complex queries (although you can of course use it to convert to another db format and do the queries there), it works really well.

I am also another Parallels fan for the very occasional need to use Windows programs. I prefer it to bootcamp not just because you can have the Windows stuff running in a normal mac window, but also because you can pause and restore the Windows state quickly. The only aspect that slows things down, whatever the VM, is that with occasional use, having to perform the umpteen Windows updates after 3 months of non-use, can take a while.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #13 on: 27 August, 2013, 03:32:39 pm »
Parallels is indeed excellent and a wondrous solution to needing access (SWIDT?) to Windows and its associated programs. But, when you've added the cost of a copy of Windows and the program(s) you need, it ain't cheap. Whatever version of Windows you have on your PC may possibly be able to be installed under Parallels (or VM, or VirtualBox) using your existing product key if it's not tied to that box - worth a try, if the history is difficult to establish (or remember!).

« Reply #14 on: 27 August, 2013, 07:00:45 pm »
I use VMWare fusion for that sort of thing, which seems to be £40 plus MS licence. I use that because that's what we have at work. I use it very rarely, because most of what I do can be done on a Mac.

In your position I'd be wondering whether there was a viable alternative software. "No" is an acceptable answer, but its worth checking before buying something new and investing time in setting the thing up.

I know very little about money software.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #15 on: 27 August, 2013, 09:17:10 pm »
I've downloaded iBank's 30 day trial, reviews seem to be reasonable and there's an iPhone app which lets you add transactions (which is handy as I am currently doing two month's worth  of receipts onto MSMoney before I do the QIF exports).

The Access thing is the big pain, mainly because it's also a work requirement (rather than my personal needs) but as a freelancer it's not something I can easily ask them to underwrite cost-wise.

I may end up taking a laptop to the Fatherland.

« Reply #16 on: 27 August, 2013, 09:48:28 pm »
You can do this with VirtualBox or VMWare. VirtualBox has a free version, though it seems VMWare doesn't (on Mac OS).

I'm using a free version of VirtualBox. No problems. (Also no proper understanding of how it was set up for me!)

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #17 on: 27 August, 2013, 10:42:21 pm »
Have been running XP on my Mac Pro ever since I got it- Boot Camp installation on a separate hard drive plus virtualisation (both VMWare Fusion and Parallels can use a BC install). After having problems with Fusion v4 repeatedly borking the XP install- not sure what the issue was, no problems before in several years of use- I gave up on it, and I've recently got Parallels. The two programs are very close on feature set and performance- one or the other edges ahead in certain features, but there's not much in it. By far the cheapest way to buy either is to keep an eye out for the frequent heavily discounted bundle offers from the likes of MacLegion, StackSocial and MacUpdate- I got Fusion 4 that way last year, and Parallels was in a StackSocial bundle ($49 including a load of other programs) a month back.

ian

« Reply #18 on: 28 August, 2013, 08:20:11 am »
It's worth a punt with VirtualBox – it does everything Parallels 5 did and by that point, there weren't really any other features I needed. All I wanted was the ability to (occasionally) run another OS in a window on my Mac. Install of XP in VirtualBox took about 20 minutes. The only downside was the several days of XP updates (complicated somewhat by Windows Update needing, well, an update before it would update itself).

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #19 on: 28 August, 2013, 08:34:53 am »
Would I need to do the Windows updates though? As if I could I'd rather not let the Windows side anywhere near the Internet. I don't trust Windows with the web.

ian

« Reply #20 on: 28 August, 2013, 07:34:13 pm »
Would I need to do the Windows updates though? As if I could I'd rather not let the Windows side anywhere near the Internet. I don't trust Windows with the web.

I suppose you could skip the updates if the software you need works without them (provided you disable the virtual network adaptor). It was just a palaver, there's three service packs and a million other updates, not helped by Windows Update needing updating. It's the way of things, Apple isn't shy of slipping in the occasional gigabyte of updates either.

Windows XP is fine exposed to the internet provided there's basic security in place, though if you don't need it, I don't suppose it much matters. Anyway, it might be a cheap solution to save you lugging a PC around.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #21 on: 28 August, 2013, 07:44:40 pm »
I have just spent 3-4 hours fighting with iBank which seems good but keeps importing my transfer transactions (between accounts) as duplicates and I can't seem to fix it.

I shall sleep on it and see if I have more success tomorrow!

« Reply #22 on: 28 August, 2013, 07:58:23 pm »
XP probably won't be fine exposed to the internet come April 2014 when the security updates stop. There will probably be quite a few zero day exploits ready queued up ready to roll once the updates stop.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #23 on: 29 August, 2013, 02:17:47 pm »
Well Uncle James has downloaded VirtualBox and got it up and running fine on my Mac.

Looks like it's a fairly steep learning curve but he's got XP loaded and Microsoft Money and I've just tested it and my finance package is sitting there, running perfectly well.

The next thing to do is load my Microsoft Office suite and try the Access Database but that's for another day - two hours of wrestling with PCs is plenty for anyone!

The shared folder he created had the name Drop Box which was rather too similar to my DropBox folder so we changed its name and that seems to have upset it so we may need to have a bit more of a look at that as my old method of transferring files between the two machines (a memory stick) doesn't work when they're both on the same machine.

I have also had a bit of a lightbulb moment for iBank and will try that again when I've got some of my work out of the way.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #24 on: 29 August, 2013, 06:06:28 pm »
It's working!

Microsoft Money is working.
My Songwriter Royalties Database is working.

Uncle James is a hero of computer wizardry. We can bin the old PC now if we so desire.

I may still investigate iBank a bit more as the ability to add transactions from my phone is a useful one, especially if Money decides to fall over sometime in the future. On the other hand, Money works well for me at the moment, if annoyingly with its little tunes and its expert assistant that has no idea of how UK banks/Bonds work!