Author Topic: Repair HPX Handle?  (Read 4524 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Repair HPX Handle?
« on: 21 June, 2011, 07:05:49 pm »
One of HK's HPX pumps has jammed.  Not in the normal way pumps jam, in the barrel, but in the handle.

The spring-loading that allows the pump to be a 'frame-fit' has jammed at its most compressed setting.  The 'handle switch' is set to 'X', so it should be spring-loaded.  I can't work out how to disassemble the handle without breaking it.  It looks like I should be able to unscrew it but I can't work out how.  Has anybody found any instructions/exploded drawing for the handle or has anybody here managed to get one apart and back together?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Repair HPX Handle?
« Reply #1 on: 27 June, 2011, 10:46:45 pm »
Replying to myself for future reference, the handle appears to be press-fit.  There isn't a sensible way to disassemble the handle and to get it back together in working order.

« Reply #2 on: 27 June, 2011, 10:51:23 pm »
Just replace it with a Topeak Morph. Or I could send you my ancient HPX, which I haven't used since Mrs B & I got a Morph each (Mini for me, Road for her). Probably still works.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 27 June, 2011, 10:56:36 pm »
Minipumps are pretty useless for clouting dogs/cabs with.  Between us, there are four three HPXs in use in the house, along with a MasterBlaster.  We might end up with another MasterBlaster.

« Reply #4 on: 28 June, 2011, 02:38:18 pm »
We use our pumps for pumping up bike tyres, & choose them on the basis of how well they do that.  :P I've never had to clout a dog while cycling, & by the time I'd unhitched a pump, a cab would probably be gone.

You're welcome to my old HPX if you want it. Size 4.

I wouldn't bother with another Masterblaster if I was you. It has the disadvantages (from your perspective) of the various Morphs, without the countervailing advantage of much greater ease of use.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 28 June, 2011, 02:46:50 pm »
Thanks for the offer but HK's HPX pumps are 3s. The MasterBlaster Road I use is like a modern HPX, replacing the HPX I previously used. Evans Cycles | Topeak Road Master Blaster Pump | Online Bike Shop

I've used Morphs and they are fine if you chuck them in a pannier or suchlike but otherwise not my cup of tea. Springloaded pumps carried under the top tube mean that a HPX is quickly available for any necessary purpose.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 28 June, 2011, 02:54:16 pm »
What about spraying it with loads of WD40, waiting and giving it some percussive education of increasing intensity?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 28 June, 2011, 02:56:05 pm »
Done that and got it to work, mostly. Don't trust it not to jam at 2am in the pouring rain though, so replacement is now necessary.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 28 June, 2011, 06:52:34 pm »
You can't have waited long if you'd only done that after I posted...  ;) ;D

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 28 June, 2011, 06:55:31 pm »
I'd done that before the weekend. Overnight lubrication plus a whack on the concrete floor worked but the handle jammed again until another bash. Not worth the hassle if I can't disassemble and properly clean and grease it.

« Reply #10 on: 28 June, 2011, 06:58:09 pm »
Just like 99% of all known saddle recommendations are for Brooks, 99% of all known pump recommendations are for Morphes.*

I used to use an HPX but graduated to a Road Morphe which I mount using scavenged bottle-cage mounts from Blackburn Airsticks allowing me to move it between bikes in an effortless manner.   The pump is in effect a mini track pump and, with the hose, it is very easy and quick to use.  

* May contain traces of bollocks

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 28 June, 2011, 07:00:20 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion but I won't be getting a Morph for the reasons mentioned further up the thread.

« Reply #12 on: 29 June, 2011, 02:43:35 pm »
I used to use an HPX but graduated to a Road Morphe which I mount using scavenged bottle-cage mounts from Blackburn Airsticks allowing me to move it between bikes in an effortless manner.
Mrs B & I both have bottle bracket mounts for Morphs on our road bikes. I should get a couple more brackets for our MTBs. You can buy spares, e.g. at SJS. The pumps stay clipped in securely even without the velcro strap. Unlike my old HPX, mine has never been dislodged by a knee, or when picking the bike up.

I've heard that the Lezyne Floor Drive is also pretty good, & it comes with a frame mount, but it's more expensive than any Morph.

« Reply #13 on: 29 June, 2011, 06:30:34 pm »
The MasterBlaster Road I use is like a modern HPX, replacing the HPX I previously used.

The spring lockout on these can also jam, but at least it's easy to get at - just unscrew the collar round the end of the handle by the lockout tab.

« Reply #14 on: 06 April, 2012, 09:41:36 pm »
Silicon grease or spray is what you want to prevent damage to rubber.