Author Topic: Post Ride Asymmetric Ailments  (Read 1647 times)

Post Ride Asymmetric Ailments
« on: 24 August, 2019, 12:05:35 am »
Having just completed a 530km ride over 2 days and reviewing the state of my body I note the following:

Slight swelling to left ankle
Sizeable blister on left buttock :-[
Slight numbness to left hand

All of these are minor issues that will clear up in a day or two, but the fact they're all on my left side makes me think there may perhaps be a simple fix to reduce future occurrence?  I know I've been prone to setting my saddle too high in the past and have reduced the height by 3cm over the last year or so and this is the first big ride I've done since then.
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Post Ride Asymmetric Ailments
« Reply #1 on: 24 August, 2019, 07:17:43 am »
It is my impression that more people have left ulnar nerve issues than right.
I certainly did!
It there does not surprise me that your numbness affects your left hand whatever else is going on.

« Reply #2 on: 24 August, 2019, 08:57:31 am »
Are you right handed? I wonder if your right hand was off the bars more often, drinking and what not, so more pressure/weight on the left.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 24 August, 2019, 01:12:41 pm »
Obvious silly question:  Are your legs the same length (they may not be if you've ever broken a bone)?  Even if they're not, they may be mis-matched in strength in a way that affects the way you bear weight on a saddle.

I'll second Ashaman42 - I'm right handed and tend to spend a lot more time gripping the bars hard with my left hand.  That's the wrist that takes a pounding when I ride uprights on crap surfaces, and the shoulder that fatigues first from prolonged elbows-in aero grip on the tiller of the low-racer.

« Reply #4 on: 24 August, 2019, 02:10:47 pm »
Your saddle is in the wrong position. Try moving your saddle back by small increments.  After that try moving your cleats backwards ( towards the heel).

Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 24 August, 2019, 03:00:07 pm »
Hum. I'm right-handed and keep my right hand on the bars. Maybe something to do with having the brakes the right way round.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 24 August, 2019, 03:15:26 pm »
Hum. I'm right-handed and keep my right hand on the bars. Maybe something to do with having the brakes the right way round.

Hmm, but presumably you have the primary gear shifter on the right hand too?  Though how much that affects your ability to maintain a grip will depend on the type of bars and shifters.

I'm trying to remember if my right wrist suffers more when I'm riding off-road.  But I suppose if the conditions are technical enough that you're primarily braking on the rear, you've got a firm grip on both sides of the bars anyway.

« Reply #7 on: 24 August, 2019, 06:22:10 pm »
Some interesting and useful replies!  To put things into context I should say that this is probably the best ever state I've come out after a 300km+ ride, so I'm thinking that after 10 years of distance riding that I've finally got my bike set up near to perfection. Ashaman42's observation is a good one as my right hand  is much busier doing stuff than my left. I may well have a leg length discrepancy and will look into that further. Also I think my left leg is dominant when riding. The bum blister was a first for me and down to a bad choice of shorts on the day, just weird it was only on one cheek. I always have my saddles set pretty much as far back as they'll  go and I generally ride without cleats or clips.
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #8 on: 27 August, 2019, 11:24:53 am »
Steve Hogg - Australian bike fitter - says that far more people have problems on the left side of their body, especially knees, than right. 

I'm left-handed and most of my issues have been on the left.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 27 August, 2019, 12:47:40 pm »
Well obviously, that's the side you usually fall off your bike :)

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #10 on: 27 August, 2019, 09:17:37 pm »
Interesting. I have more ulnar nerve issues in the right hand. On the right: main brake (front) and rear derailleur (Di2). Not sure if there's a different in soreness on the left or right side of my bum  :D

In the past I've had issues with my achilles, but not anymore after setting the saddle a little lower and the cleats as far back as possible.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11 on: 28 August, 2019, 09:08:43 am »

Hmm, but presumably you have the primary gear shifter on the right hand too?  Though how much that affects your ability to maintain a grip will depend on the type of bars and shifters.

I'm trying to remember if my right wrist suffers more when I'm riding off-road.  But I suppose if the conditions are technical enough that you're primarily braking on the rear, you've got a firm grip on both sides of the bars anyway.

Back brake & rear mech on the right hand, shallow drops.  I usually try to brake with both hands at once, although if I'm riding with both hands on the flat bit I'll use the front brake for short, gentle braking, e.g. for keeping station on the guy in front.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #12 on: 28 August, 2019, 10:39:59 am »
My ongoing sessions at the physio have revealled that i'm just wonky all over.

Right shoulder and nipple are about an inch lower than the left. Right ITB, knee, Hamstring and Psoas all up the swanny. Left ankle knackered.

I feel like i'm falling apart.