Author Topic: Cambrian Series Permanents  (Read 105247 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Cambrian Series Permanents
« Reply #550 on: 05 June, 2017, 10:29:23 am »
If you do the Cambrian 1H you will find that Hundred House is closed (both pub and shop) but people have found innovative ways to get proof of passage such as selfies emailed to the organiser.  Technology is wonderful.

Not so, I cycled past pub today and most definitely open !

Thank you!  That's good news.  More on the controls front, the 1J goes through the post office at Staylittle, which is closed on Sundays and also, rather delightfully, from 12 -1 each day, for lunch.  But I've been provided with a photo of the sign so a similar picture should satisfy for brevidence if someone decides to do a nocturnal 100  ;D
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #551 on: 06 June, 2017, 10:13:59 pm »
Am starting to work on a 6C, carefully crafted to reach 10,000m ascent.  Any takers?

Yeah, just as soon as this pile of fresh brake parts have been installed onto the ultra bike :)

Well, here's a first thought - needs some detailed checking - but adding a loop of Bala - Abergele - Llanberis - Denbigh - Mold - Llangollen to the 4C route and removing the Bala - Llangollen link, would add about 3000m climbing and 180km so turning the 4C into a 6C at 617km and 11,000m climbing.  Which I think would qualify for one of those 10,000m+ 600k permanents with a 50hr time limit??

Ho hum.  I'll get working on it.  Who's the new AAA man.  They'll need to put in some overtime on this one!

My first check, its 618km and 10730m ascent.  Will keep you all posted on progress of getting this established. 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #552 on: 15 June, 2017, 07:18:01 pm »
Docs have been submitted to the perm secretary and the new AAAman has come back with a new climbing figure which is censored more than I had.  Have also emailed Sophie Matter at ACP to try to establish this a Super Randonnee, so that it will have three versions, a BR with 42 hour time limit, a Super Randonee with 60 hours (which might support a couple of nights in Llanidloes - it was centre of the Universe last time I was there at 1.30am) and a Tourist option.  There is also a profile under the name Cambrian 6C on Openrunner (which was required as part of the Super Randonnee submission), which looks gratuitously hilly absolutely brilliant.

« Reply #553 on: 15 June, 2017, 08:28:33 pm »
Excellent work ! A Brit-based 600 Super Randonnee would be, well, just super  ;D

Off to have a look on OpenRunner ....

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #554 on: 16 June, 2017, 08:42:15 am »
Well done CET, really pleased that you're going forward with this and hope it all gets approved

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #555 on: 17 June, 2017, 08:56:10 am »
I've just had the 500th entry since taking over the Cambrian Series, and there have been 246 completed events (with I think one in the post). 

That's just over 50,000km official distance (and probably more besides) and about 800,000m ascent, or closing on 100 Everests.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #556 on: 03 July, 2017, 10:47:07 pm »
Sophie Matter is happy with the route of the Cambrian 6C, so we are getting close to having our first Super-Randonnee

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #557 on: 28 July, 2017, 10:28:52 pm »
The Cambrian 6C Super Randonee is almost there.  Once the dust has settled on LEL I'll order the cards.  The Permsec is setting it up as an event on the AUK website (together with a BR version - 11750m ascent in 42 hours is there for taking ladies and gents) so that we have a means of payment. 

I'm almost tempted to ride it as a Super Randonee myself as it takes out most of the riding in the early hours bit that I seem to be struggling with, but keeps all the legendary hills and some which aren't legendary but should be (All y Gwernant out of Llangollen comes to mind) that make these rides so much fun. 

It also has a brief tourist guide to Wales, including a couple of photo spots that I'd ridden past without noticing that came as a genuine surprise.

« Reply #558 on: 29 July, 2017, 05:57:04 pm »
The Cambrian 6C Super Randonee is almost there.  Once the dust has settled on LEL I'll order the cards.  The Permsec is setting it up as an event on the AUK website (together with a BR version - 11750m ascent in 42 hours is there for taking ladies and gents) so that we have a means of payment. 

I'm almost tempted to ride it as a Super Randonee myself as it takes out most of the riding in the early hours bit that I seem to be struggling with, but keeps all the legendary hills and some which aren't legendary but should be (All y Gwernant out of Llangollen comes to mind) that make these rides so much fun. 

It also has a brief tourist guide to Wales, including a couple of photo spots that I'd ridden past without noticing that came as a genuine surprise.
Thanks for your efforts  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I MAY one day be fit enough to have a crack at it.
Eddington Number 75

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #559 on: 05 August, 2017, 01:15:25 am »

If completed in less than 42 hours counts as both super randonee and 600km brevet? I assume you have to declare which at thr start? No going for a 42hr finish but then claiming super randonee if out if time?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #560 on: 05 August, 2017, 07:58:25 am »

If completed in less than 42 hours counts as both super randonee and 600km brevet? I assume you have to declare which at thr start? No going for a 42hr finish but then claiming super randonee if out if time?

When it is set up on the AUK website there will be three entry options - a BR (42 hour time limit) - counts for AUK points and AAA points, an SR (Super Randonnee).  Both of these options I will validate as a Super-Randonnee (although note that the SR requires specific photographic proof of passage).  There will also be the Tourist Super Randonnee version.

I'd quite like to offer an attempt at the 42 hour version and allow an SR for finishers within 60 hours, but I think that might fall foul of rules around entering two events concurrently (which I seem to recall from correspondence a few years back is not the done thing)

Apologies

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #561 on: 06 August, 2017, 05:51:43 pm »
BR (42 hour time limit)

I am not the best climber but like a good challenge. I have looked at the route of the 6C and wondered where to sleep on the first night of the 42 hour version?

Ideas would be appreciated - thanks

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #562 on: 07 August, 2017, 06:46:24 am »
The first challenge is having time to sleep.  The Cambrian 4C (to my knowledge) has been completed three times, in 28, 28 and 25 hours (the last being by a stronger rider in good nick and in perfect conditions - no wind or rain) with riders taking no sleep except the occasional catnap.

However, if I were to give this a go, I would probably base myself in Llanidloes (as a start/finish) as this splits the figure of 8 into two loops of 243km and 365km, do the northern loop with a 4am start to plan a 2am finish, come back to some prepared food and a short sleep and then aim to complete the southern loop the next day.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #563 on: 23 August, 2017, 10:10:55 am »

When it is set up on the AUK website there will be three entry options - a BR (42 hour time limit) - counts for AUK points and AAA points, an SR (Super Randonnee).  Both of these options I will validate as a Super-Randonnee (although note that the SR requires specific photographic proof of passage).  There will also be the Tourist Super Randonnee version.

I'd quite like to offer an attempt at the 42 hour version and allow an SR for finishers within 60 hours, but I think that might fall foul of rules around entering two events concurrently (which I seem to recall from correspondence a few years back is not the done thing)

Apologies
According to the super randonee rules
Cannot be counted as participation in or credit for another event held in conjunction with the SR
Cannot be held at the same time and same course as a BRM  of 600km
Not sure how this squares with validating one ride as both SR and BR

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #564 on: 27 August, 2017, 10:37:57 am »
Hi all. Does anyone have good contact details for the Cambrian series DIY organiser? I've entered 4D but not had any confirmation yet. Thanks in advance!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #565 on: 28 August, 2017, 08:57:30 pm »
I'm working away during the week every week to Christmas so please allow at least a week for me to turn around entries.  Apologies.

« Reply #566 on: 16 September, 2017, 07:55:51 am »
Shall be having a try at the 2c next weekend whilst I'm in Wales.. Any helpful hints, tips or routes most welcome

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #567 on: 16 September, 2017, 02:49:01 pm »
New Quay to Newcastle Emlyn - A485 then B4571.  This is really hard work in a prevailing wind - feels like constant uphill from New Quay and very little shelter.  Choice of cafes in Newcastle Emlyn

Newcastle Emlyn to Fishguard - A484 then B4232 - to pick up A487 at Eglwyswrw (which nearly set the UK record for most consecutive rainy days (85 to 20 January 2016) and follow to Fishguard.  Fishguard has a poor choice of cafes so if you need to stop for a bite to eat (this section is fairly relentless if the wind is in the west, which it usually is) then stop in Newport which is about 8k before Fishguard.  There's a good cafe on Market Street.  If you have time the Golden Lion does a very good meal.

Fishguard - use the ATM at Barclays.  Careful navigation to pick up the road to Maenchlochog through the Presceli's  Very long climb in several sections.  Left in Maenchlochog and follow minor roads through Glandy Cross, LLanboidy and then turn left to pick up a rollercoaster to Meidrim.  (It's easy to get lost in these lanes....even the organiser has, however the main road route along the A40 is HORRIBLE and a lot further).  B4289 to the A40, which has a cycle path.  There's a 24-hr petrol station on the A40 which is acceptable a a Carmarthen control otherwise there is a big Tesco and lots of small shops.

Cross the river in Carmarthen and follow the B4300 to Ffairfach - this is much nicer than the A40 and the flattest part of any Cambrian Series ride.  Climb into Llandeilo, choice of small shops and ATMs (I've only controlled in Llandeilo in the early hours so am not sure about the cafes)

B4032 to Llansawel then little lanes to pick up the A482 6 or 7km S of Lampeter.  Dai's Diner on the right about 100km before the roundabout in the town centre saved my life on the Cambrian 3B - it opens quite early in the morning.  Follow the A475 for about 1km towards Newcastle Emlyn then over the hills to Cribyn, then Mydroilyn, a short section of the A487 in Llanarth and then a final blast back to New Quay. 

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #568 on: 17 September, 2017, 08:30:06 am »
Rode that around Easter, 2? years ago. Very nice. Took me all day, a hard route, but by Carmarthen you've broken the back of it.

I did stop in Fishguard; the "Corner Cafe" (according to google) is straight ahead of you on the "main" town-centre roundabout. But note that this is maybe 50m past the L turn you want to make to continue on the shortest route, but it's probably yards from the ATM :) Perfectly nice cafe, v quiet on a week day.
I didn't think of trying Newport, so if that's CET's tip, he's probably right!

Carmarthen:
There must be a suitable cafe in the centre, but I've failed to find one  :facepalm: So next time I do this I will make the services on the A40 my "proper" stop. It's a nice well-equipped place, and does come directly after all the hard stuff, so ideal in many ways.

Dai's Diner in Lampeter is a definite win  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #569 on: 07 October, 2017, 03:01:38 pm »
Audax Year 2017 is done and dusted.  73 entries and 41 completed rides (although some of those were on brevets from previous years).  Only two exciting rides this year - the 6A was completed, with its 9AAA points and the 4B.  Otherwise the rides were all 100s and 200s.  Looks like I will be doing a couple of the longer permanents next year, a 300 and a 400, primarily as I'm working mostly out of the UK so being around for calendar rides is going to be difficult.

Two milestones were passed in the 2017 year - my 500th brevet issued and the 250th completed ride logged.  The 4A, 4E, 4F, 4G, and 6B are the virgin rides, with no finish logged, and the 400s are proving the hardest to complete - with only 5 completed rides at this distance since 2007 - truly the PhD of Audax events.

« Reply #570 on: 07 October, 2017, 06:22:27 pm »
Otherwise the rides were all 100s and 200s

Sure I banged out the balance of the  300’s from the series during  the season :)
Season 1 - 211 AAA Points, 120 Club points,  PBP 72h, ISR, Welsh SR, Easter Arrow, Hyper Rand, AAA Champion, ACB Team and CTC champions

« Reply #571 on: 07 October, 2017, 06:24:00 pm »
How’s the submission of 6c progressing?
Season 1 - 211 AAA Points, 120 Club points,  PBP 72h, ISR, Welsh SR, Easter Arrow, Hyper Rand, AAA Champion, ACB Team and CTC champions

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #572 on: 08 October, 2017, 04:59:02 pm »
Waiting for the brevet cards to arrive from France and then it should be a go.

« Reply #573 on: 25 January, 2018, 02:16:13 pm »
Waiting for the brevet cards to arrive from France and then it should be a go.

Any further update please?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #574 on: 25 January, 2018, 05:08:01 pm »
Are you riding it before March???   Chapeau!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles