Author Topic: Double Dutch 200 Easter Saturday CANCELLED  (Read 65531 times)

Re: Double Dutch 200 Easter Saturday
« Reply #225 on: 04 April, 2016, 12:39:19 pm »
At least the straight line from Pondersbridge to Upwood is less intimidating when it gets dark and you don't have to stare at infinity.

It feels like infinity, but in fact you can only see as far as the horizon, and given that you are probably bent as low as possible over the handlebars in order to make progress into the wind, this is only about 2 km!

Martin

« Reply #226 on: 10 August, 2016, 11:30:48 am »
I called in at Huntingdon a couple of days ago and 'spoons has finally opened  :P so the start and finish will be in Sandford House which is a minute's ride from the station

Sat 15th Apr 2017

« Reply #227 on: 11 August, 2016, 07:38:05 pm »
A local estate agent lists an interesting property, the King's Lynn ferry service is for sale: http://geoffreycollings.co.uk/property?id=12260356

Martin

« Reply #228 on: 12 August, 2016, 08:42:49 pm »
That's interesting; the operators have always been extremely helpful (even to the extent of running a continuous service to get all the riders across) and I've donated the surplus from the ride to Help for Heroes on their behalf, hope the new owners will be as accommodating

Martin

« Reply #229 on: 09 March, 2017, 11:13:13 am »
entries picking up well despite many of the Flatlander regulars riding to York instead (will wave as i pass you on the Friday) Lindt bunnies await

for those coming from That London the best train if you want to get breakfast at Spoons (the new start 1 minute from the station) is 0622 arr 0722. the slower 0634 are 0749 will still give you time, there will be someone there until 0830 for any latecomers, remember to buddy up for a GroupSave ticket (3 or 4 riders for the price of 2)

exactly the same route as last year (no excursion to the mythical tulip bulbfields east of Kings Lynn as i was unable to find them last year) apart from a very minor deviation at the end in order to be on the right side of the road for the finish.

rob

« Reply #230 on: 09 March, 2017, 11:33:05 am »
Can't make it this year but will be riding from home to Lincoln Easter Sat so will wave at riders (and Arrow teams) as I cross the fens.

« Reply #231 on: 09 March, 2017, 06:38:15 pm »
I've entered :thumbsup:

« Reply #232 on: 09 March, 2017, 09:18:58 pm »
This is a MUST DO on my 2017 calendar...looking forward to it.

« Reply #233 on: 10 March, 2017, 05:36:26 pm »
Can't make it this year but will be riding from home to Lincoln Easter Sat so will wave at riders (and Arrow teams) as I cross the fens.

Thanks Rob it twill be fantastic  ;D ;D

Martin

« Reply #234 on: 11 March, 2017, 11:58:53 pm »
A local estate agent lists an interesting property, the King's Lynn ferry service is for sale: http://geoffreycollings.co.uk/property?id=12260356

it's still with the same owners, who look forward to helping you aboard Arr Jim Laad!

need to find a Vegan bunny.....

« Reply #235 on: 12 March, 2017, 10:29:12 am »
I'm looking forward to a reunion ride of the AAA's champs, and my first 200k in a long time.
Fueled by a Choc Easter bunny, and great cycling friends.   And no hillys!

Martin

« Reply #236 on: 13 March, 2017, 11:48:46 pm »
Looking forward to another Stellar cast LL; on what started off as a DIY of mine for which I thought I'd get about 6 entries as a calendar;

maybe TG will join us en route before leaving us in his wake?

« Reply #237 on: 14 March, 2017, 11:30:20 am »
The now medium sized Saxon will be making this the first 200 since my minor inconvenience in October. My flattest and quickest 200 which should please my cardiac physios, AAA is off limits for now, but I am a Flatlander anyway.
I am allowed a bunny though!   

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #238 on: 14 March, 2017, 08:39:17 pm »
I'm planning to ride up from London on the Friday for a loop around the fens, then stayover at Huntingdon for the DD on Saturday.

Company Welcome. :)

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #239 on: 16 March, 2017, 02:53:27 pm »
I'm planning to ride up from London on the Friday for a loop around the fens, then stayover at Huntingdon for the DD on Saturday.

See you on the start line Mr T. Be great to catch up, been a long time!  :thumbsup:

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #240 on: 16 March, 2017, 07:41:46 pm »

See you on the start line Mr T. Be great to catch up, been a long time!  :thumbsup:

It has indeed. Look forward to it! :)

Martin

« Reply #241 on: 17 March, 2017, 12:11:13 am »
The  'spoons start gives an opportunity for a pre -ride breakfast; but my experience is that it's usually pretty slow (although all you can drink coffee is usually pretty quick as all they have to do is take your money and hand you a mug!) There is another branch in March 44k which I always use; it's pan flat (ish) before then so no calories required!

I can do a big pre-order at the start if you text ;-)

Martin

« Reply #242 on: 02 April, 2017, 10:00:49 pm »
gonna need more bunnies......

« Reply #243 on: 02 April, 2017, 11:58:49 pm »
There is another branch in March 44k which I always use; it's pan flat (ish) before then so no calories required!
After March, of course, it gets flatter...

Martin

« Reply #244 on: 04 April, 2017, 09:28:47 pm »
not sure what the daffs will be like on the day; they are all shot round these parts, although being commercially cultivated hopefully there will be many late flowering ones.

VERY long range weather forecast is looking ok

« Reply #245 on: 04 April, 2017, 10:22:57 pm »
At least the straight line from Pondersbridge to Upwood is less intimidating when it gets dark and you don't have to stare at infinity.

It feels like infinity, but in fact you can only see as far as the horizon, and given that you are probably bent as low as possible over the handlebars in order to make progress into the wind, this is only about 2 km!

In many ways, that whole stretch back from Spalding is my favourite bit. It's the section I know best, having ridden it for other reasons too. It's King's Lynn - Spalding that I find a challenge; it just keeps on and on.

Martin

« Reply #246 on: 04 April, 2017, 10:52:36 pm »
In many ways, that whole stretch back from Spalding is my favourite bit. It's the section I know best, having ridden it for other reasons too. It's King's Lynn - Spalding that I find a challenge; it just keeps on and on.

I've tried to make that section interesting; The unmarked cyclepath which avoids a dodgy bit of the A17 (thanks ChrisS for that would not have known otherwise) Crosskeys Bridge, Guys Head, those bulbfields, Moulton windmill.  They even had planes flying at RAF Holbeach once on a route check

But point taken, I did try to scout a route east of Kings Lynn last year where they still have tulip fields but could not find them. And I had a suggestion to take the route to an info on Holme Fen (lowest place in the Uk at -4m) but it involves the outskirts of Peterborough. Worth seeing though.

« Reply #247 on: 04 April, 2017, 11:40:16 pm »
I'm not sure that it's uninteresting. I like seeing different kinds of countryside. It just hits me at a point when I'm generally riding alone, especially after the bridge. I have to drive myself to get to the info control. After that, I feel I'm on the home run to Spalding. Except I'm not. That run only takes me to Moulton. Then from there to Spalding still seems a fair distance.

I don't really know why. It just seems unending.

But that's the challenge of the ride, and why I'll be back, of course ;D

Martin

« Reply #248 on: 05 April, 2017, 09:47:25 am »

I don't really know why. It just seems unending.

well it is nearly 70k

most years it's been a bit of purgatory due to the crosswinds but finally ends in paradise when you turn for home at Holbeach. I was extremely lucky to avoid last year's strong headwind (having route checked the day before) but have had to contend with it on other occasions, including the first time I rode it as a DIY and had it all the way from Boston to Huntingdon

« Reply #249 on: 12 April, 2017, 07:24:25 am »
Its looking like King's Lynn to Spalding will be the tough section this year. At least the rain seems to be holding off.