Author Topic: Preserving apples  (Read 1278 times)

Preserving apples
« on: 01 September, 2011, 01:45:13 am »
Twenty years ago I recall spending hours in the garage with my old Granddad wrapping all the apples we'd picked off his trees in paper and stacking them individually in pallets.

Today I buy apples in the supermarket, and if I don't eat them within a week they are all mushy/soft/rotten.

I'm in the unfortunate process of a house clearance, and the apple tree in the garden is windfalling like mad.  I haven't the time at the moment to pick everything and make cider (as I want to).

Do I pick and put the apples in the garage and hope they don't rot, or am I wasting my time?  Will they be edible later?

Does anybody else have apple trees?  What do you do with the excess crop?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: Preserving apples
« Reply #1 on: 01 September, 2011, 02:02:11 am »
Yep cool and in the garage will be fine.

« Reply #2 on: 01 September, 2011, 02:29:26 am »
What paper to wrap them in?  Where to get it?  and I recall he had pallets that had individual depressions for each apple...

Do I need to go round any remaining greengrocer here, or supermarkets, and try to blag their discarded trays off them?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 01 September, 2011, 08:34:15 am »
With some of the apples at least, you could have a go at drying, after slicing, them.*

Or make apple pies and freeze them.  (I remember a top chef saying he uses eating rather than cooking apples).

Or make apple-and-other-fruit jam or chutney.

Or juice them.

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #4 on: 01 September, 2011, 09:17:23 am »
What paper to wrap them in?  Where to get it?  and I recall he had pallets that had individual depressions for each apple...

Do I need to go round any remaining greengrocer here, or supermarkets, and try to blag their discarded trays off them?

Last lot I did, just left them in a out house with no heating and were in wooden crates and the dimples paper from a supermarket.  I just went in everyday bought something and nicked two bits of the dimpled paper.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #5 on: 01 September, 2011, 09:43:02 am »
If you're going to store them whole, make sure there's a gap between each one and the next.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #6 on: 01 September, 2011, 09:43:11 am »
Some apples keep, other don't, and the length of time they keep will vary. Depends on the variety. And on the prior handling - I find a lot of supermarket fruit is roughly handled (by staff and cusomers) and the incipient bruising mars the fruit in a short while. I've no idea if cider apples keep - but then is the tree you have a cider apple variety?

We take a lot of cooker windfalls from our neighbours this time of year. Most we make into apple sauce using the microwave, and then freeze, some go in to apple and apple&balckberry pies. This year we'll be getting some eaters as well, and though they can be treated the same way, I think we'll try some apple flans (a la Francais).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #7 on: 01 September, 2011, 09:47:17 am »
I have a recipe for apple and almond cake which is very easy to make and freezes well.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 01 September, 2011, 09:53:38 am »
Much depends on the variety of apple. I think a general rule of thumb is that the later the variety, the denser the flesh and the longer they will keep. Also, of course, by definition because they are a late variety you are generally storing them in cooler conditions.

Last weekend at Mildenhall, the lovely Nutkin provided a large bag of Discovery apples which a few of us chomped at the time. However, Discovery is an early variety and not really a "keeper". I brought the rest home with me. We've been eating them regularly but Mrs Wow has stewed some. The flesh doesn't pulp much like Bramleys for example, but they taste lovely - more like stewed pears than apples. Once stewed they can be frozen.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #9 on: 01 September, 2011, 10:05:16 am »
Of cousre you can do baked apples for a dessert too - a memory of childhood with the apples cored and stuffed with butter, brown sigar and sultanas, then baked in the oven.

Instead of stewing I dice the flesh small-ish, put in a Pyrex 2pint jut with a plate as a lid, and microwave on full power for 4-6 minutes depending on variety - Bramleys go in 4 mins, eaters need longer.  Add a knob of butter, pinch of salt and a bit of sugar, beat with a fork until desired consistency.

I think I may also do some fried apple rings with some pork later in the month.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #10 on: 09 September, 2011, 09:01:23 am »
We pick wild plums locally and this year I tried making the plum leather from the Rivercottage handbook/preserves.  I know you can make it with apples and blackberries too. It is amazing, takes ages to cook mind but it ends up like a posh and much healthier version of the fruit winders. Great for putting in a rack pack for some energy. Inbox me if you want to know how to make it!
Not just a cyclist's wife!