Author Topic: Is this Campagnolo Chorus front hub cracked?  (Read 1394 times)

Is this Campagnolo Chorus front hub cracked?
« on: 14 September, 2019, 12:54:05 pm »
Is this Campagnolo Chrous front hub cracked, or is this how it's meant to look? I can't remember if it look like this before it got installed into the wheel. This is on my brand new Mercian.

[click to expand]

Actually, it looks like that in one of the eBay seller's photos (assuming they're showing my actual hub):

If it *is* cracked, what could have caused this? Hubs were new before being installed. If the QR skewer force was too high, could this have caused this?

Or is this normal and I shouldn't worry?
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

Re: Is this Campagnolo Chorus front hub cracked?
« Reply #1 on: 14 September, 2019, 01:00:49 pm »
That's not a crack.
That's the join line of whatever component the adjacent hex-headed bolt is holding together.

ETA - it looks to be some sort of clamp or collar. I'm guessing that it doesn't rotate with the hub.

« Reply #2 on: 14 September, 2019, 01:02:27 pm »
That's not a crack.
That's the join line of whatever component the adjacent hex-headed bolt is holding together.

Phew! Thanks sounds like I was worrying for nothing! Love how smooth these hubs are, so was hoping nothing was wrong.

« Reply #3 on: 14 September, 2019, 02:07:57 pm »
It looks like the bearing preload collar you get on most Campy hubs

« Reply #4 on: 14 September, 2019, 04:56:16 pm »
yes, that is the bearing adjusting collar. FWIW if there is no free play at all in the bearings when the wheel is out of the frame, the bearings are set too tightly, and this collar needs to be adjusted.  The correct adjustment is to make it so that there is  *just* no slack in the bearings when the QR skewer is at its normal tension. This can be done with the wheel in the frame; it is a good system that way.

cheers

« Reply #5 on: 14 September, 2019, 05:32:25 pm »
yes, that is the bearing adjusting collar. FWIW if there is no free play at all in the bearings when the wheel is out of the frame, the bearings are set too tightly, and this collar needs to be adjusted.  The correct adjustment is to make it so that there is  *just* no slack in the bearings when the QR skewer is at its normal tension. This can be done with the wheel in the frame; it is a good system that way.

cheers
Ingenious system.

« Reply #6 on: 14 September, 2019, 05:44:56 pm »
Similar in some ways to the Headstrong headset that Stronglight did.

« Reply #7 on: 14 September, 2019, 05:53:47 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback, always interesting to learn about this stuff