Author Topic: Belgium rides 2019  (Read 13114 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Belgium rides 2019
« Reply #25 on: 04 October, 2018, 11:25:49 pm »
My bidons are 750-800ml each and I'm not interested in using bigger ones.

I reckon it is a bit crap to send folk out for 6-ish hours straight with no opportunity to get water.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #26 on: 05 October, 2018, 08:24:27 am »

I reckon it is a bit crap to send folk out for 6-ish hours straight with no opportunity to get water.

Great info and advice from Rohnny on BoB. My little group topped up at Roubaix two full bottles each and the 130k September night ride (broken by a kip on a railway platform) didn't dent the water supplies that much. We didn't have to look for taps. At one point opening your mouth resulted  in an ample influx.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

« Reply #27 on: 05 October, 2018, 09:12:46 am »

If I know there is a 130K gap with no or limited possibilities to get water and I want/need to drink more than 2 bottles, I would buy extra water before entering that section. The same with the food supply. I would make sure I have enough to get through each section.

Maybe I need to cancel the 2 manned controls with food and beds so each participant knows he/she has to rely on their own judgement to get water/food/beds.
Or I need to find much more volunteers to run the event so I can set up controls every 50K. And charge 1 euro for every water bottle (because the entry fee for a BRM 1000 is limited at 10 euro by the national organisation. Only extra's may be charged).
As I said before: it is not club med.

« Reply #28 on: 05 October, 2018, 09:21:20 am »
At the back of my rackpack I can usually stash a 1.5 liter bottle. Plus 3 0.75l bottles in the bottlecages. 4.25l should be enough for 130k. Even on a hot day. Riding a full 24 hours that would then in total be 12.75l for 24 hours.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #29 on: 05 October, 2018, 09:21:46 am »
You can do whatever you want to do. I still think it is a bit crap.

Some organisers of events I've ridden note on the routesheet that water is available at 'these locations that aren't obvious when riding past' or slightly off-route or the route is adjusted to go past taps or they stash water along the route (noted on the routesheet) or even have a secret control out of a car, with water.

Your national organisation is also a bit crap if it doesn't recognise that longer rides tend to have higher costs. 'One size fits all' is a bit silly at the extremes.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

bairn again

« Reply #30 on: 05 October, 2018, 09:52:50 am »

If I know there is a 130K gap with no or limited possibilities to get water and I want/need to drink more than 2 bottles, I would buy extra water before entering that section. The same with the food supply. I would make sure I have enough to get through each section.

Maybe I need to cancel the 2 manned controls with food and beds so each participant knows he/she has to rely on their own judgement to get water/food/beds.
Or I need to find much more volunteers to run the event so I can set up controls every 50K. And charge 1 euro for every water bottle (because the entry fee for a BRM 1000 is limited at 10 euro by the national organisation. Only extra's may be charged).
As I said before: it is not club med.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #31 on: 05 October, 2018, 10:35:16 am »

Usefully timed email today, NS, the Dutch railways, have announced that they are installing a water tap in every station. This gives another useful place to top up with water when our for a ride.

I've found that installing OSMand on my phone, and turning on the water tap POI layer, makes it easy to find water taps when out, not all taps are on there, and not all taps on there are working, but it's better than nothing.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #32 on: 05 October, 2018, 11:32:21 am »

Usefully timed email today, NS, the Dutch railways, have announced that they are installing a water tap in every station. This gives another useful place to top up with water when our for a ride.

I've found that installing OSMand on my phone, and turning on the water tap POI layer, makes it easy to find water taps when out, not all taps are on there, and not all taps on there are working, but it's better than nothing.

J

That's also what I was thinking about when the NS announced the new watertaps plan. It'll make overnight cycling a lot easier.

« Reply #33 on: 05 October, 2018, 09:43:40 pm »
Checked the original sheet and yes, it's a typo - the list runs from now all the way through 2019. The 1200kms is in 2019. Apologies.

Other stuff -
No need to pre-register. Turn up and pay on the day
200kms €5
300kms €6
400kms €7
600kms €8
1000kms €10

The routes are outlined a few months in advance and the detail - GPS and paper route sheet - put on each page about 3-4 weeks before the day.

I think that's it. You can go back to the water bottle discussion now.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #34 on: 06 October, 2018, 10:04:23 am »
I'll be looking into riding a 400 or 600 in Belgium next year.

British cyclists complaining about bad attitudes towards cyclists in Belgium?  ;D
I rode BoB in 2016 and never had a single issue in Belgium, in fact from memory a lot of the route was eerily quiet.
I had one driver get pissed off with me for riding on the road when there was a cycle path I could have used but I'd missed the opportunity to join it. (that was when the route went into Germany for a while).

I don't remember water being such a big issue either. I filled my two bottles and bought a 500ml one when I knew opportunities for water would be scarce (as advised by Rohnny).
It's a brilliant event organised by a team of only three people who put on two sleep controls, two bag drops and provide very good food. Yes it's tough, but the organisation and the advise given by them is brilliant.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #35 on: 07 October, 2018, 12:30:44 am »
I know how much effort is involved in a 600K with ONE  feed/bag / sleep stop at 330k open for only 12 hours. Two late on in the event is a magnificent volunteer effort. We were fully briefed about facilities.

« Reply #36 on: 07 October, 2018, 07:00:13 am »
I'll be looking into riding a 400 or 600 in Belgium next year.

British cyclists complaining about bad attitudes towards cyclists in Belgium?  ;D
I rode BoB in 2016 and never had a single issue in Belgium, in fact from memory a lot of the route was eerily quiet.
I had one driver get pissed off with me for riding on the road when there was a cycle path I could have used but I'd missed the opportunity to join it. (that was when the route went into Germany for

I’ve ridden a fair bit in Belgium, and find it extraordinary how well car and lorry drivers respect cyclists, and give way to them ( which is usually the requirement)

There can be some grumpiness if the cyclist is using the road where there is a cycle path unless you are in a group with ride marshals, and a car with a big red triangle on the roof following.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #37 on: 06 November, 2018, 06:25:53 pm »

Have just booked a bed in a Youth Hostel for the nights either side of the 200 in December. I'm trying for RRtY, and can't make the Dutch 200, so have to have a go at this one.

I'm pondering the 200 in early January, but the closest affordable hotel is 19km away. Making for a 240km day. In January. Not to mention means leaving hotel at 0630 to get to the start in time... If I don't make this ride, then I have to complete the Frank Simons Memorial ride at end of Jan to keep my RRtY going.

Anyone else doing the Belgian winter rides?

J
--

« Reply #38 on: 06 November, 2018, 07:07:52 pm »

Have just booked a bed in a Youth Hostel for the nights either side of the 200 in December. I'm trying for RRtY, and can't make the Dutch 200, so have to have a go at this one.

I'm pondering the 200 in early January, but the closest affordable hotel is 19km away. Making for a 240km day. In January. Not to mention means leaving hotel at 0630 to get to the start in time... If I don't make this ride, then I have to complete the Frank Simons Memorial ride at end of Jan to keep my RRtY going.

J

I've done the Wachtebeke events a few times with a start in Ghent. One of the hostels there is very accomodating, I could even make my own breakfast at silly o'clock before riding to the start.

« Reply #39 on: 06 November, 2018, 09:14:16 pm »
Have just booked a bed in a Youth Hostel for the nights either side of the 200 in December.

I was talking to a mate today about doing this. Have you found a bike-friendly hostel?

« Reply #40 on: 06 November, 2018, 09:36:29 pm »
Have just booked a bed in a Youth Hostel for the nights either side of the 200 in December.

I was talking to a mate today about doing this. Have you found a bike-friendly hostel?

For another brevet I stayed at St. Christopher's Inn, they do have a reasonable safe bikestorage (their own bikes are stored there). At another hostel, Charlie Rockets, I could park my bike in a storage room.

« Reply #41 on: 07 November, 2018, 09:13:16 am »

[..]

Weather permitting, I am planning to do the 200 in January (maybe combining it with a small cycling holiday since I still need to visit the Westvleteren brewery at some point). But it will be a last moment decision.

There seems to be a reasonably priced B&B, Finis Terrae, just outside Lokeren (approx. 8km from Wachtebeke).

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #42 on: 07 November, 2018, 09:17:05 pm »
Weather permitting, I am planning to do the 200 in January (maybe combining it with a small cycling holiday since I still need to visit the Westvleteren brewery at some point). But it will be a last moment decision.

There seems to be a reasonably priced B&B, Finis Terrae, just outside Lokeren (approx. 8km from Wachtebeke).

Finis Terrae want payment now, which given the weather means I may not make the ride (i.e. snow), is quite a financial risk.

I've booked a twin room at the Ibis Budget in Ghent, it's a 19km ride to the start. It's the cheapest option available, and I can cancel up until midday on the 4th. I've booked it for 2 nights.

It's a twin room, so if there is someone else on here who wants the second bed and doesn't mind sharing with a weird Brit, drop me a message.

J
--

« Reply #43 on: 07 November, 2018, 09:25:31 pm »
Finis Terrae want payment now, which given the weather means I may not make the ride (i.e. snow), is quite a financial risk.

I've booked a twin room at the Ibis Budget in Ghent, it's a 19km ride to the start. It's the cheapest option available, and I can cancel up until midday on the 4th. I've booked it for 2 nights.

It's a twin room, so if there is someone else on here who wants the second bed and doesn't mind sharing with a weird Brit, drop me a message.

J

Strange, I can book without paying immediately (and cancel for free until December 28).

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #44 on: 07 November, 2018, 09:34:28 pm »
Strange, I can book without paying immediately (and cancel for free until December 28).

I was using Booking.com.

28th is still not close enough to the event to know if the weather is going to really scupper things.

J
--

« Reply #45 on: 08 November, 2018, 07:22:37 am »

I was using Booking.com.

28th is still not close enough to the event to know if the weather is going to really scupper things.

Also using Booking.com... It appears that they treat people differently. And I've got enough faith in the weather forecast to make a decison on the 28th.

« Reply #46 on: 11 November, 2018, 09:03:17 pm »
Yesterday was the 200km BRM from Oudenburg, following the WW I battle front around Ypres and west Flanders. Its a fantastic route past some of the monuments and cemeteries including a stop at the Menin gate. With it being anniversary weekend it was very busy, especially Ypres and tynecot cemetery.

Anyway to cut a long story very short I had mechanical problems and had to cut it short after 70km and a visit to a bike store... My gear is definitely not up to the rigours of the Flemish roads and bike paths. I got back to the arrivee in Oudenburg after about 130km to find another Dutch Randonneur having a beer with the organiser, similar fate to myself, although he had ran out of inner tubes too. I guess that's 2 - 0 to Belgium   :facepalm:

I'll probably be back, apparently the 400km in May next year will follow part of this route and also some of the French Frontline too.
Regards,

Alan

« Reply #47 on: 21 November, 2018, 11:15:46 pm »
Me and a friend are committed to coming on the December 15th ride. Belgium is nice and warm in December, right?

« Reply #48 on: 24 November, 2018, 08:20:48 am »
My work schedule gives me 15 and 16 off, so I'll be there. I'll probably staying at some sort of hostel before and after the ride.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #49 on: 10 December, 2018, 06:20:56 pm »

Weather is looking... Interesting for Saturday. It's gonna be cold, the question is is it going to also be wet, or snowy, or icey, or all of them...

Anyone other than Ivo, Grams, and myself planning to ride?

J
--