Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 636086 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #550 on: 04 January, 2010, 04:46:33 pm »

Ha! Your car's numberplate accurately expresses what it is thinking about the weather!

FN YKY = effin yukky
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #551 on: 04 January, 2010, 05:11:59 pm »
A small dusting this morning, but the (<¼") snow we had was not melted even by the midday sun.

This morning's walk from Leigh to Hadleigh Castle & back was a beauty.

That's Hadleigh in the background, where the 2012 mountain biking will happen. The train is heading for Fenchurch Street.

The central heating exhaust at Hadleigh Salvation Army Farm.

The small jellyfish-like object is a stalagmite of ice, dripping from the condensation of the boilers.

Tea on the terrace in 3° of frost. That's ice on the table. It actually felt quite warm, wrapped up as we were in our thermals and sitting in the sun.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #552 on: 04 January, 2010, 05:18:42 pm »
The temp dropped like a rock when the sun went down in the park I was training in today. One sec I couldn't see my breath the next I could and it was really brrrrrr
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #553 on: 04 January, 2010, 05:19:20 pm »
We are due for more snow tonight. We had a ten minute light shower earlier and it covered the ground almost immediately. I don't think a single flake of it melted.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #554 on: 04 January, 2010, 08:28:39 pm »
Snow, just fup off!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #555 on: 04 January, 2010, 08:31:02 pm »
Oi Sno.

Just bugger off to Gordy's, will ya.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #556 on: 04 January, 2010, 10:05:44 pm »
I got a surprise when I looked out of the window earlier- another 1-2cm has fallen.
Tomorrow won't be fun- all the pavements here are solid ice.

« Reply #557 on: 04 January, 2010, 10:14:03 pm »
No snow here, & a mere -4 here in the inner city, but it's down to -8 up at Benson airfield - & dropping.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #558 on: 04 January, 2010, 10:16:27 pm »
More falling here tonight too.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #559 on: 04 January, 2010, 10:57:28 pm »
Its proper winter weather here in the big smog so it is rather pointless that there ain't any snow falling.

Brrr and January normally meant snow when I grew up and please if you are going to snow let it be more than a little inch that melt in afternoon.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #560 on: 04 January, 2010, 10:58:44 pm »
Supposed to snow in London tomorrow and Wednesday. With temps as they are I can't see it melting, if it does.

border-rider

« Reply #561 on: 04 January, 2010, 10:58:56 pm »
No snow here, but it was -6.5 when we got home at 9:30 tonight, and I reckon it could end colder than this morning's -8

Zoidburg

« Reply #562 on: 04 January, 2010, 11:36:28 pm »
Has anyone heard the usual pearl of wisdom "it's to cold to snow" yet this year? People who say that should left out on the frozen moors in just their undercrackers.

Zoidburg

« Reply #563 on: 04 January, 2010, 11:37:01 pm »
Has anyone heard the usual pearl of wisdom "it's to cold to snow" yet this year? People who say that should left out on the frozen moors in just their undercrackers.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #564 on: 04 January, 2010, 11:41:20 pm »
No snow here, but it was -6.5 when we got home at 9:30 tonight, and I reckon it could end colder than this morning's -8

Too cold to snow then?  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #565 on: 04 January, 2010, 11:54:26 pm »

The lowest temperature I ever recorded on my admittedly not brilliantly reliable Brannan maxi-mini thermometer was on 12th Jan 1987, -14°C at 7 p.m. We already had 8 inches or so lying at that time, but at 7 or soon after the temperature went up to -12 and a further 11 inches of snow fell.

Saarfend recorded the lowest temperatures throughout the UK for the rest of that week.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #566 on: 05 January, 2010, 12:03:25 am »
I WANT MORE SNO  >:(

« Reply #567 on: 05 January, 2010, 12:08:58 am »
+1. I haven't heard it for years, but I remember once hearing it from someone who I knew had experience of snow falling at lower temperatures than that about which he said it.

Tosser.  >:(

Some crap tabloid I saw in a newsagents today had a headline claiming it was the coldest winter for 30 years. More tossers. I remember colder weather in a few winters in the 1980s, i.e. less than 30 years ago.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Really Ancien

« Reply #568 on: 05 January, 2010, 12:29:02 am »

Most snow in the UK is frontal. It falls when a warm front meets a cold front. So it generally means a warming from cold conditions, followed by heavy snow, turning to rain. The current Arctic conditions are rarer, giving rise to 'the wrong type of snow'. This type of snow is typified by a diamantine sparkle, and it behaves as a powder, it is outside most people's experience, we generally get snow with a high moisture content.

This effect is rare in the UK.

Damon.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #569 on: 05 January, 2010, 07:10:26 am »
I see it's headline news again now that there's a forecast of more of it for SE England.
Aero but not dynamic

gordon taylor

« Reply #570 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:09:32 am »
Oi Sno.

Just bugger off to Gordy's, will ya.

I can report (Tuesady am) we still have NO SNOW AT ALL, although the rest of the whole world seems to be buried in the stuff, according to the BBC.

We may have some forecast for tonight, but I bet it misses us again.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!

border-rider

« Reply #571 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:11:30 am »
I can report (Tuesady am) we still have NO SNOW AT ALL, although the rest of the whole world seems to be buried in the stuff, according to the BBC.

None for us (again)

« Reply #572 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:11:37 am »
I bet we'll be snow free here in Oxon...    :thumbsup:
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #573 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:28:14 am »
Snowing here, 5cm in the last two hours and still snowing. If the roads were treated last night it's not done much good. My locale is very slow, I got a train to work today for the first time in 15 years, bus will be crawling down the hill. Train is much cheaper too. I'll try to get a photo when it gets light.

« Reply #574 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:29:54 am »

Most snow in the UK is frontal. It falls when a warm front meets a cold front. So it generally means a warming from cold conditions, followed by heavy snow, turning to rain. The current Arctic conditions are rarer, giving rise to 'the wrong type of snow'. This type of snow is typified by a diamantine sparkle, and it behaves as a powder, it is outside most people's experience, we generally get snow with a high moisture content.

Was thinking that today as I walked to the station. It's really nice snow, like powder.