Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 636862 times)

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #650 on: 05 January, 2010, 06:08:27 pm »
About 2" of wet snow in Liverpool this morning, that melted but it started chucking it down at lunchtime.  Currently about 4" and we were told to go home from work early in case public transport shuts down  :)

Some chaos on the roads, several of the routes out of Liverpool (eastwards) are quite steep. Cars sliding all over the place and buses stuck.

Clogging it down in Chester this afternoon. Roads are gridlocked in the centre.

Some interesting driving techniques  ::-)
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #651 on: 05 January, 2010, 06:21:35 pm »
I have to drive my daughter to school in the Hampshire Alps (South Downs) tomorrow. If this keeps up, she may be at home with us longer than planned.

Her local webcam: Petersfield Cam

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #652 on: 05 January, 2010, 06:24:53 pm »
The Metoff Ice have changed their minds about our snow. Now expected to arrive at 3 a.m.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #653 on: 05 January, 2010, 06:25:41 pm »
Just got home.... Only 6" (measured with ruler by offspring #3) here in Uber Sheffield...

« Reply #654 on: 05 January, 2010, 06:28:12 pm »
Just a light dusting here.  The chickens didn't want to go out in it though!
Spinning, but not cycling...

« Reply #655 on: 05 January, 2010, 06:31:18 pm »
Bit more snow here. Alot of side roads closed because they are ice and hills. So there are alot of people that cant drive anywhere because of the ice on the roads. Cant walk because of ice on the pavement.
Was a big thing on the local news on it.
My road is fine though so im still getting out on bike alright

It must be cold - your apostrophe key appears to have frozen solid again.

Im on quite a few different forums, for a few different things.
Why is it that a few members on here have a problem with my spelling and typing?
Or, is it mainly because you have a problem with me personally?

If you dont have a problem with me personally, then either live with my spelling or dont read my posts. I couldnt give a toss either way.

Or do you just like to take the piss and comment on someone who has a problem with spelling and typing? I persoanlly dont see the problem with what ive wrote, so YOU or any other member just critising it wont help. I may not be the sharpest knife in your draw, but that doesnt just make it fine for you to comment on my typing. You get the jist of my post, and understand what i mean.

Don't question. It makes people angry.

« Reply #656 on: 05 January, 2010, 06:32:51 pm »
The Metoff Ice have changed their minds about our snow. Now expected to arrive at 3 a.m.

The forecast for London has been shifting later and later, so rather than this evening, now it's probably going to be tomorrow morning.

Since I haven't left work yet, this suits me!

...of course from an earlier email, I know that I need to get to CityLink on the morrow to pick up a parcel.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #657 on: 05 January, 2010, 06:55:24 pm »
It stopped but is settled and freezing here now, and we're due another 6-8" overnight, which is interesting as I'm supposed to be working 2200-0700 in South Gloucestershire!

It's at times like these I wish I had a Land Rover!

« Reply #658 on: 05 January, 2010, 07:08:51 pm »
Chucking it down in Reading now. Mrs B is very relieved that she got home from work before it got too bad. Settling well, & a few cm deep already.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #659 on: 05 January, 2010, 07:11:39 pm »
I just poked my head out onto the balcony as I was locking up the lab, and it's started to snow very very finely.  You can't actually see it looking out the window, but I collected a few tiny snowflakes on my outstretched hand.

If you don't hear from me again, it'll have got heavier and I'll be stuck in a snowdrift between South Ken and Croydon. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #660 on: 05 January, 2010, 07:12:16 pm »
Just got home.... Only 6" (measured with ruler by offspring #3) here in Uber Sheffield...

Does the school use inches?  ???

« Reply #661 on: 05 January, 2010, 07:22:16 pm »
One of the neighbours & his son are making a snowman in the middle of the street. I told 'em there was no hurry, there'd be even more tomorrow, & he said "But I'll be at work tomorrow". I asked "Are you sure?". His wife laughed, & he replied, "Well, if I can get there".  ;D

If this keeps up Mrs. B will get the day off she's hoping for.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #662 on: 05 January, 2010, 07:24:07 pm »
WE HAZ SNO. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #663 on: 05 January, 2010, 07:24:58 pm »
ooer, it's snowing heavily here in Oxon and may do so all night. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #664 on: 05 January, 2010, 07:28:36 pm »
Well, it does appear to be snowing again in Pompey, so it'll be interesting to see how much actually falls overnight.

It was definitely a good move on my part to have got a fairly successful1 shopping trip to Chichester done today - I got back just as it started with the pre-snow rain showers.  :thumbsup:

1 Yesterday's ride highlighted some areas of my winter cycling wardrobe where further investment was required. Hence today's purchase of another Musto thermal base layer2, a Gore Windstopper skull cap and a pair of Specialized Defroster boots. There's no such thing as the wrong weather...

2 A garment that is veritably the dog's danglies. High zipped neck, toasty and non-whiffy, what's not to like?
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #665 on: 05 January, 2010, 07:31:03 pm »
ooer, it's snowing heavily here in Oxon and may do so all night.  

Yep!  Just walked home, about 30 mins briskish walk and it was great, barely a car on the main road and whopping big flakes dancing under the sodium lights!
Magic!

Meant to be in Portbury tomorrow, early start... ho hum  :demon:
Russia next week  :-[ :(

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #666 on: 05 January, 2010, 07:32:53 pm »
The BIKE is ready.

One Dahon Speed TR folder. Two sets of lights fore and aft. Tyres slightly deflated.

By the door is cycling wear du jour: overtrousers & wellies.

So, do I go now while it's snowing or leave it till later and risk it stopping or, worse, raining?

« Reply #667 on: 05 January, 2010, 07:34:29 pm »
The BIKE is ready.

One Dahon Speed TR folder. Two sets of lights fore and aft. Tyres slightly deflated.

By the door is cycling wear du jour: overtrousers & wellies.

So, do I go now while it's snowing or leave it till later and risk it stopping or, worse, raining?

For safety reasons, I'd call the Police and ask them to deliver Pizza.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #668 on: 05 January, 2010, 07:35:04 pm »
Bit more snow here. Alot of side roads closed because they are ice and hills. So there are alot of people that cant drive anywhere because of the ice on the roads. Cant walk because of ice on the pavement.

Why is it that a few members on here have a problem with my spelling and typing?

If you dont have a problem with me personally, then either live with my spelling or dont read my posts. I couldnt give a toss either way.

Or do you just like to take the piss and comment on someone who has a problem with spelling and typing? I persoanlly dont see the problem with what ive wrote, so YOU or any other member just critising it wont help. I may not be the sharpest knife in your draw, but that doesnt just make it fine for you to comment on my typing. You get the jist of my post, and understand what i mean.

Many of us went to schools where these things mattered a great deal. Some of your 'bad habits' were drummed out of us by the age of ten. At ten, we might have taken the '11+' exam to enter secondary school. Poor sentence structure, punctuation, grammar, spelling and usage would have caused us to FAIL and blighted our future.
When we see poor usage now, we cringe, either privately or publically.
Look at our profiles; some of us are old enough to be your parents.

The older generation is full of Grumpy Old Gits who grumble about poor educational standards of the youth of today. Either improve the standard of your English or accept the odd poke by the Old Fogeys...

I am known to have posted here and Elsewhere about poor English on, for example the BBC News website.

We don't like watching standards slip.

Helen, aged 51.57

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #669 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:13:32 pm »
I'm only 28 and I find crap spelling and grammar cringeworthy. 

"I persoanlly dont see the problem with what ive wrote"??

If you're using a computer, the chances are you have a spelling and grammar checker.  You might like to try it.  Otherwise you look ignorant - I'd have been ashamed to write that badly as an eight-year-old - as well as too lazy to use a spell check.  And that in turn means that people are less likely to take your opinions seriously.

« Reply #670 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:20:36 pm »

Many of us went to schools where these things mattered a great deal. Some of your 'bad habits' were drummed out of us by the age of ten. At ten, we might have taken the '11+' exam to enter secondary school. Poor sentence structure, punctuation, grammar, spelling and usage would have caused us to FAIL and blighted our future.
When we see poor usage now, we cringe, either privately or publically.
Look at our profiles; some of us are old enough to be your parents.

The older generation is full of Grumpy Old Gits who grumble about poor educational standards of the youth of today. Either improve the standard of your English or accept the odd poke by the Old Fogeys...

I am known to have posted here and Elsewhere about poor English on, for example the BBC News website.

We don't like watching standards slip.

Helen, aged 51.57

Nope, shit excuse if you ask me. Im on forums with people of a mixed age. NON have a poke at my grammer, spelling or punctuation or usage of words. It appears to only be cycling forums that have a poke. But, i also notice that they often dont poke and moan at some other peoples spelling or use of words or grammer or punctuation.
But then, on the other forums there are people with much worse grammer, spelling, punctuation and use of words dont have anything said, because the people accept that they probably arent that good with words. Aslong as they dont do everything in caps lock and use sentences that everyone can understand then its fine.
Obviously some people on here are either too picky or have some problems(worse then me and my spelling and use of words)

I am on the computer, but my computer is away at the moment so ive no spell checker on this one, and also i havent got one on my phone(you can tell if ive posted from my phone by the phone symbol)

Personally, if you dont want to take my opinion seriously because my grammer isnt as good as yours then fine.

« Reply #671 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:26:48 pm »
I dont find it ignorant at all either. My spelling, grammer, punctuation is how it.
If anything, i find YOU ignorant for commenting on it, and taking the piss out of it when you know nothing about me, and can understand what im writing perfectly, you just feel the need to comment on my lack of grammer and punctuation.
I take i you have never worked or been around someone with dyslexia, autism or any other problem which could mean that they have trouble with their writing/typing?
(And before you tell me its no excuse, its not for some people. Some people do fine when they have dyslexia, other struggle)

« Reply #672 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:29:42 pm »
Dyslexia makes you unable to conjugate common verbs?

I did not know that.

« Reply #673 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:32:44 pm »
Dyslexia makes you unable to conjugate common verbs?

I did not know that.

Sorry?

« Reply #674 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:40:27 pm »
Where do we draw the line if we're going to make a fuss about technical writing ability, or lack of?
I see mistakes and make a fair few myself.
I personally (35 year old misery guts) couldn't give a toss. It's nice to see things well written and sometimes much easier to understand what's being said. But as long as the idea comes across I don't worry. If I don't understand I can ask or ignore.
Are we going to have a minimum standard of education and a test before anyone can become a member of YACF?
I'd better start packing...