Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 633511 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #675 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:41:40 pm »
To be honest, it's not just the spelling, grammar and punctuation, 1gear, it's the whole content of your posts.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #676 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:43:12 pm »
Where do we draw the line if we're going to make a fuss about technical writing ability, or lack of?
I see mistakes and make a fair few myself.
I personally (35 year old misery guts) couldn't give a toss. It's nice to see things well written and sometimes much easier to understand what's being said. But as long as the idea comes across I don't worry. If I don't understand I can ask or ignore.
Are we going to have a minimum standard of education and a test before anyone can become a member of YACF?
I'd better start packing...

It would appear so.
 ::-)
I wonder how many other people would go, or be allowed to stay in on special terms ::-)

As for kirst, dont read my posts then.
Id rather someone say it was the content of my posts thats the problem instead of moaning about my grammer.

Actually no, what am i saying, i couldnt care if you didnt like the content of my posts. Self moderate and dont read them dear.

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #677 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:44:44 pm »
Will you stop calling people dear and love please? Well, actually, I'll let the other recipients of your patronising remarks speak for themselves. Please don't call me dear or love or any other term of endearment again.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #678 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:47:02 pm »
Will you stop calling people dear and love please? Well, actually, I'll let the other recipients of your patronising remarks speak for themselves. Please don't call me dear or love or any other term of endearment again.

Sorry darling

;)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #679 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:51:47 pm »
Where do we draw the line if we're going to make a fuss about technical writing ability, or lack of?
I personally (35 year old misery guts) couldn't give a toss. It's nice to see things well written and sometimes much easier to understand what's being said. But as long as the idea comes across I don't worry. If I don't understand I can ask or ignore.
Are we going to have a minimum standard of education and a test before anyone can become a member of YACF?

English is not my native language and I make mistakes. Nevertheless people don't complain as they see that I make an effort. I don't think that 1gear tries very hard to spell properly whereas obviously you do your best. I skip most of his posts, I read yours. I can't see why we should all make an effort to decipher what he says. Soon I will be posting in French because I can't be bothered to write in English and ultimately YACF will be a Babel tower!
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #680 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:59:31 pm »

Sorry darling

;)

Being deliberately provocative is tiresome/ not big / or clever.

In time, the penny may drop, 1gear.

Nothing personal, you understand.
 :)

Can we go back to the "It's snowing!" bit, please  :D

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #681 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:59:40 pm »
I am crap at spelling.  It's not something that I can repair.  The computer age has made life easier for me, but it cannot fix my crapness at spelling.

Meanwhile, back to the snow.  :thumbsup:
Birmingham is deep in it.  Even major routes are covered. 
I've just had the most enjoyable ride home.  Obviously I had to take in a couple of Old Speckle Hens on the way - just to be sure that if I fell off, it wouldn't hurt.
When the snow is this bad, you're not going to come off unexpectedly - you're actually expecting to come off all the time and ride accordingly.
There's absolutely no traffic at all and on the couple of occasions I did become a heap of Basil, I lay there laughing and making a snow angel before getting up.  8)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #682 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:59:54 pm »
To a certain extent, posting something with glaring errors in it shows a lack of care and pride in what is produced. I suspect you would not go to a party with a stained shirt or shoes that didn't match. Why produce something which looks like rubbish?
We have ribbed some dyslexic posters but usually stop after a while and seldom complain about posters whose first language is not English.
Many of us write letters to newspapers and magazine articles on cycling matters. I'd like to think that some of my postings here aspire to a publishable standard.
I would take no pride in appearing inarticulate.

PS I have acted as proofreader for Arrivée, Audax UK's magazine. This is produced entirely by amateurs who work to professional standards. Howlers in magazines and books devalue the publication.

« Reply #683 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:03:37 pm »
Dyslexia makes you unable to conjugate common verbs?

I did not know that.

Sorry?

HTH :)

Chris S

« Reply #684 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:06:46 pm »
Pfft. Lighten up you lot. What's got at you tonight, something bad happen on Eastenders? ;)

« Reply #685 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:09:53 pm »
something bad happen on Eastenders? ;)

I like your style  ;D

« Reply #686 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:10:13 pm »
Whoa, I click on this thread hoping to see snow posts and all I see is a slanging match at 1gear.
I was not expecting that.
But now I have read the updates, I agree with Panoramix.  I can't post in French but I don't bother to read what 1gear types as it all appears to be drivel, poorly spelt drivel too  :o  :demon:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #687 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:11:16 pm »
To a certain extent, posting something with glaring errors in it shows a lack of care and pride in what is produced. I suspect you would not go to a party with a stained shirt or shoes that didn't match. Why produce something which looks like rubbish?
We have ribbed some dyslexic posters but usually stop after a while and seldom complain about posters whose first language is not English.
Many of us write letters to newspapers and magazine articles on cycling matters. I'd like to think that some of my postings here aspire to a publishable standard.
I would take no pride in appearing inarticulate.

PS I have acted as proofreader for Arrivée, Audax UK's magazine. This is produced entirely by amateurs who work to professional standards. Howlers in magazines and books devalue the publication.

??? ??? ???
WTF?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #688 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:12:46 pm »
Can we go back to the "It's snowing!" bit, please  :D

+1

Attention seeking little boys detract from the happy SNO thread.

border-rider

« Reply #689 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:13:07 pm »
Snowing here now (at last) :)

It's a Good Thing that Waitrose made it through this evening.  We've got wood for the burner, oil for the AGA and a load of food :)

There are tiny kitty prints all round the back door...

« Reply #690 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:13:36 pm »
Dyslexia makes you unable to conjugate common verbs?

I did not know that.

Sorry?

HTH :)

I look at that, and i just see alot of words and non of them make much sence, nor do i have to power to sit down and really read it.
I still dont think that my writing is hard to understand. But never mind.

Sorry darling

;)

Being deliberately provocative is tiresome/ not big / or clever.

In time, the penny may drop, 1gear.

Nothing personal, you understand.
 :)

Can we go back to the "It's snowing!" bit, please  :D

What are people hoping when they mention my spelling? I see that more as provocing me.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #691 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:16:30 pm »
Can we talk about snow, please? I've just got back home.

Sadly, I am too speechless with awe and cold fingered for the finely crafted prose that hellymedic would prefer to read.

Firstly; riding a bike. How the bloody hell do you do that? The folder was great because I could lower the seat and progress in quadruped style when needed but it lost points for twitchy steering and small wheels that chose their own direction of travel. I rode as far as the village (0.5miles) and pushed the rest.

Secondly; cars. Ho. Ho. Ho. They don't go well up hills on ice, do they? Met loads of drivers forced out of their natural element and experimenting with the pedestrian perversion. Not all of them were sharing the warm humour of a Blitz spirit. But most were.

Thirdly; snow. I've not seen snow like this since I was boy on the edges of the Fen. Beautiful big wet flakes of British snow. Trees and shrubs bent over. Amazing.

Finally; mistaken identity. Everyone I chatted to took me for a gritty all weather bike commuter.

Chris S

« Reply #692 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:16:46 pm »
What are people hoping when they mention my spelling? I see that more as provocing me.

Let it go. Move on. Some people just like to give marks out of ten to others. I don't know why - perhaps it makes them feel better about themselves, who knows?

Now. Back to the SNO (Oh fuck it, I spelled it wrong).

« Reply #693 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:17:02 pm »
Back on topic, it's snowing heavily here and I've had to go out and clear it off the sat dish LNB a couple of times.

I left work just as it was starting to snow, the ride home only had one iffy road, which is a fairly steep downhill that is a dead end so gets no traffic to clear it (the dead end bit has a short cycle path leading into it, so it is a through route for bikes). The ride home took the normal amount of time - actually a bit faster than I do it some days.

The thing I'm kicking myself about is that this morning I swapped over from using my big pannier to my saddle bag, as I didn't need to carry a change of clothes into work. Of course, that meant I couldn't bring the laptop home, so working from home tomorrow won't be easy. I can access emails and teleconf, but unless I'm on a real company laptop the security stuff won't let me access email attachments, the document database or network drives  :(

border-rider

« Reply #694 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:18:40 pm »

Firstly; riding a bike. How the bloody hell do you do that?

Fixed wheel, big soft tyres, short cranks ;)

Chris S

« Reply #695 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:19:29 pm »
Hey MattH - it sounds like the kind of conditions where you nip out for a crafty 400...? ;)

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #696 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:20:22 pm »

Yep I agree with this.

Actually Kirst, some of 1gear's writing has brought a breath of fresh air to this forum. I really hope that we don't make people feel small about what they have written.  :-[

I'll get my bonnet (In Cranford style).

(Oh and its not yet snowing in lovely Lewisham).

« Reply #697 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:24:34 pm »
SNOW!

Reading - 10 minutes ago.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #698 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:27:25 pm »
Hey MattH - it sounds like the kind of conditions where you nip out for a crafty 400...? ;)

I was thinking about digging out the MTB  :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #699 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:28:02 pm »
Not falling in our corner of S London yet.  I hope it holds off till Butterfly gets home later... :-\
Getting there...