Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 633612 times)

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #800 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:22:24 am »
Easy ride into central London today -   bit of sno on the local roads for the first couple of minutes but then delightfully clear, very light traffic and only a couple of motorised muppets trying to kill cyclists.  I yelled "do a skid" at a fixenger who was coming out of a side road and riding on the pavement past SE23's very finest restaurant, the Babur Brasserie, the home of the monster meat thali.  He grinned.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #801 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:26:40 am »
An hour to do ten miles, crikey.  Much of the main road just compacted snow, lorries parked up rather than take the swoopy bits, all very exciting.  Four inches at home!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #802 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:45:21 am »
After a dreadful nights sleep due to my shoulder, I am taking the opportunity to work from home and rest / recuperate.  Maybe tomorrow I will venture out in all this white stuff.

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #803 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:48:05 am »
4-5" in Penarth. Mrs g phoned her headteacher and was told her school was open. I drove her the 4 miles on untreated roads (great fun) giving a snow driving lesson. When we arrived the head decided the school was closed!  ::-)

Drove back home.

Walked in to the office passing a lollipop lady waiting let children across the road. She told me the local school was open cos it was not mentioned on the BBC Wales website, as closed. She had not used her lollipop stick at all to guide kids across the road.

The freeze tonight should be interesting.
Faith, hope and gluttony.........

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #804 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:52:47 am »
Up to about 5" now and still coming down.  I have dug around the house three times since 8am.  The road will have to wait until it stops tonight.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #805 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:54:47 am »
Wow! just spotted the first gritting lorry of the season in full operation, not just driving along flashing its lights.
Shame the main road is pretty much clear of snow.

Faith, hope and gluttony.........

« Reply #806 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:57:13 am »
Well, aren't you all lucky. :P Here's what happened in Dorset:

Tues 1300 - heavy rain for 20 minutes. Temp up to about +5°C. All ice melted.

1600-1700 - rode home in the wet. Overheated it was so warm and I had all my snow clobber on.

Tues 2000 - no snow. Met Office website changed to 0300 Wed. BBC forecast is hampshire/wiltshire/devon all under 4ft but nothing for Dorset.

Wed 0600 - Still nothing. In fact, it was the first morning in 3 weeks the ice in our estate has thawed enough to ride the roads.

Wed 0830 - arrive at work after a damp ride in, probably the warmest of the week so far, no ice anywhere and definately no snow.

The Scilly isles has snow for pete's sake, but not costa del Weymouth. There's just not enough angry smilies in the world. >:(

« Reply #807 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:58:47 am »
Lots of schools closed in Delhi, apparently...

The temp has dropped to 7 degrees and everyone is complaining :)  (thats +7, not -7)

Not many buildings have heating, I guess.

« Reply #808 on: 06 January, 2010, 10:12:20 am »
Snowing again here.

« Reply #809 on: 06 January, 2010, 10:12:53 am »
It's started again here in the foothills :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #810 on: 06 January, 2010, 11:04:15 am »
Every school in the borough has been closed. Snow is just starting to come down again.
Postman has already been, for how it is out there, I'm impressed.
Nice one postie, for getting my Red Cross food parcel through.   :thumbsup:
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #811 on: 06 January, 2010, 11:07:00 am »
There's a white blanket about 7cm deep on my lawn. Snow continues to fall but the road outside is all but clear, if slushy.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #812 on: 06 January, 2010, 11:07:49 am »
about 2mm here near cambridge but more forecast for today. Boo - we need several feet to get me out of tomorrows horrid meeting.

I have a meeting in London tomorrow that I want to avoid.  I'm hoping we get enough snow to legitimately allow me to cancel it...  :demon:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #813 on: 06 January, 2010, 11:47:01 am »
<looks out of window>

The only snow that was on the lawn has now melted.

I WANTZ SNO!!!!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

« Reply #814 on: 06 January, 2010, 11:51:11 am »
<looks out of window>

The only snow that was on the lawn has now melted.

I WANTZ SNO!!!!

Just the seven? Huh, you can't want it that much then.
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.

« Reply #815 on: 06 January, 2010, 11:57:16 am »
I wantz it lotz.   But I'm rationing you :demon:  You know you can't have too many at a time.

« Reply #816 on: 06 January, 2010, 12:00:31 pm »

Neil Diamond: You don't bring me  >:(  anymore.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #817 on: 06 January, 2010, 12:12:15 pm »
It's snowing in Twickenham. We now have 2mm of snow on the pavement (none on the road as it's gritted about 10 times a day)

Just waiting for the call from the schools to say they are closing due to adverse weather :)
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #818 on: 06 January, 2010, 12:20:47 pm »
I want either masses of snow so I can bank up the fire and finish off the mince pies after sledging; or for it to stop and warm up so I can ride my bike again. An inch of snow on sheets of ice is just RUBBISH.
Oooo as I type the flakes are getting bigger. Maybe masses is falling now :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #819 on: 06 January, 2010, 12:24:36 pm »
Quote from: Forger's Gazette Headline
It's Snow Chaos!  And They Still Claim It's Global Warming

In the face of such a deep & rounded understanding of the scientific evidence, what can you do that doesn't involve a shovel-based cognitive process realignment?
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #820 on: 06 January, 2010, 12:25:29 pm »
I want either masses of snow so I can bank up the fire and finish off the mince pies after sledging;

You've just reminded me - we can do fried Christmas pudding after our sledging!  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #821 on: 06 January, 2010, 12:42:31 pm »
We saw three snowploughs on our way to work this morning! All ploughing.  :o
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #822 on: 06 January, 2010, 12:44:58 pm »
It's finally started snowing in Cambridge... and very pretty it is too.  I shall look forward to my cycle home later.  :thumbsup:

The Powers That Be have started discussing closing the building... so my fun may come a bit earlier...  :D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #823 on: 06 January, 2010, 12:45:38 pm »
If you want to see what's coming, use the raintoday.co.uk radar - it's ace.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #824 on: 06 January, 2010, 12:46:12 pm »
Quote from: Forger's Gazette Headline
It's Snow Chaos!  And They Still Claim It's Global Warming

In the face of such a deep & rounded understanding of the scientific evidence, what can you do that doesn't involve a shovel-based cognitive process realignment?

Point and laugh?