Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 636862 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #1075 on: 12 January, 2010, 06:06:13 pm »
Blizzarding a mix of both.  Heavy wet SNO here right now, settling and heatsucky.  It's taken out my satellite dish!

Bugger.
I've had enough now.  I've done winter.
I want crocuses and daffodils.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

gordon taylor

« Reply #1076 on: 12 January, 2010, 07:42:23 pm »
Our 2cm of snow has all but disappeared, but whatever slush is left on the lanes is lethal. I've abandoned my dog walk tonight after just 200m because I couldn't keep my footing. It looks like wallpaper paste. If it is still there in the morning, I might be back on studded tyres.

« Reply #1077 on: 12 January, 2010, 08:16:13 pm »
Rather blizzard like here on the edges of Dartmoor. Wet stuff but drifting - could be quite nasty in places I think.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #1078 on: 12 January, 2010, 08:27:41 pm »
Haldon Hill is on the news again.   ::-)

Sleet now in Creddy.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #1079 on: 12 January, 2010, 09:16:33 pm »

You've got to wonder how Smokey Joe survived there for so many years, given that whenever the snow falls it grinds to a halt.

I guess it's just the steepness of the hill that makes it a bit of a bugger when the conditions are less than perfect.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #1080 on: 12 January, 2010, 11:03:03 pm »
Here in Bristol we have sleet that has turned the snow left into a horrible sticky slush.
Chief cat entertainer.

simonp

« Reply #1081 on: 12 January, 2010, 11:47:18 pm »
Our 2cm of snow has all but disappeared, but whatever slush is left on the lanes is lethal. I've abandoned my dog walk tonight after just 200m because I couldn't keep my footing. It looks like wallpaper paste. If it is still there in the morning, I might be back on studded tyres.

Though I complained about studs not being up to slush I have to say they're much better than trainers on a thin layer since the tyres cut through it. Shoes with flat-ish soles just slip.

« Reply #1082 on: 13 January, 2010, 12:05:32 am »

Sleet now in Creddy.

When I saw that I said to Mrs Nutty "I bet my mate Andy is cycling past the stranded motorists and laughing."

I hope you didn't let me down  ;)

« Reply #1083 on: 13 January, 2010, 05:17:18 am »
We have had 2 inches in the night.   ;D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1084 on: 13 January, 2010, 06:41:55 am »
It was very windy last night, but the snow (only about half an inch atm) really came when the wind had dropped.

It's forecast to keep going all day though.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #1085 on: 13 January, 2010, 06:49:08 am »
Woke up to find that all the melted snow has been topped up overnight, this is really peeing me off now, enough is enough FFS!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1086 on: 13 January, 2010, 07:12:31 am »
Inch and a bit here in London, I wonder if the school I'm going to today is open.

And more important if we get more snow tonight and tomorrow because I'm flying to Denmark in the am.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #1087 on: 13 January, 2010, 07:16:43 am »
An inch here near Oxford. Can't work out if it's still snowing because it's too murky outside! On the up-side we have fox footprints down the front path to our house.

« Reply #1088 on: 13 January, 2010, 07:29:17 am »
Yesterday we used the car (with only a little slideyness) on the normal routes, the buses were more or less back to normal and the family Dan all went to school and work.
Now we've had about 5cm of really wet snow (I went out in my PJs to clear a path to the bushes for the cat). Schools are closed again and the snowman we made on the first day is only just peeking out. The temperature isn't that low (just warm enough for snow?  ;)  ) so I fear this will just turn to a lot more slush and fail to be any fun at all.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1089 on: 13 January, 2010, 07:56:59 am »
Oh FFS, winter.  You've made your point.
Now, nob off, will you.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1090 on: 13 January, 2010, 07:58:55 am »
Yes, like others, probably an inch or so overnight in Croydon, rather irritating since it'll probably just melt and add to the slushy muck which was there yesterday evening. :-\

« Reply #1091 on: 13 January, 2010, 08:31:23 am »
Worse! Very fine drizzle that is freezing as it "lands". All ready to go for my daily pedal but it's just too icy. Damn. Might as well have stayed in bed.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1092 on: 13 January, 2010, 08:36:37 am »
Snow in E London and the City.  And I wimped out again and took the Tube.  :'( 

OTOH, it does look pretty out there.  Must take a trip up to the top floor for a clearer view and take some pics.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1093 on: 13 January, 2010, 08:37:27 am »
I was toying with fitting the snow tyres and cycling in it, but it needs some buggering about with the cassette and possibly brakes and mudguards as well, and I don't have that much time this morning, I need to be in a meeting, so I think I'll have to leave it, and use the Tram and Tube. :(

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1094 on: 13 January, 2010, 08:38:16 am »
Dumped again here in Brighton, and it's still cascading down like fine white ash.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #1095 on: 13 January, 2010, 09:06:11 am »
we have snow in southampton about 2 inches

« Reply #1096 on: 13 January, 2010, 09:08:09 am »
Worse! Very fine drizzle that is freezing as it "lands". All ready to go for my daily pedal but it's just too icy. Damn. Might as well have stayed in bed.
Like that here. Roads not gritted.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1097 on: 13 January, 2010, 09:12:13 am »
0°C here and a very light snow has just started. It is settling - just - but I don't suppose it will amount to much.

I have commuting at 11.30ish and 2.45ish.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1098 on: 13 January, 2010, 09:19:07 am »
Snow in E London and the City.  And I wimped out again and took the Tube.  :'( 

Hang on a minute. You wimped out and I cycled? Are we in some weird alternative universe?

The roads were skoggy, but I took it easy and rode in the bits that buses and cars had cleared, and eschewed my usual little cycle-only shortcuts through Bloomsbury etc, and all was well.

Apart from the fact that I was wearing denim rainlegs, but you can't have everything...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1099 on: 13 January, 2010, 09:28:03 am »

Apart from the fact that I was wearing denim rainlegs, but you can't have everything...

Weren't you a bit cold?  :o
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: