Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 636468 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #1125 on: 13 January, 2010, 11:49:41 am »
No change since 9 a.m. It does seem to be trying to settle on some surfaces and not others.

I have decided to postpone my lunch time teaching apptmt..
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #1126 on: 13 January, 2010, 11:54:31 am »
<still haven't had a chance to try out the new tyre I put on the back of the 'cheetah***>

Now that's going to be a whole lot of TEH FUNNAY  :thumbsup:

We've just had an email from corp comms:

Team, 

In view of the continuing snowfall, there is a likelihood that traffic conditions will deteriorate progressively during the afternoon and evening.

You are advised to leave the office today at a time which gives you a reasonable probability of reaching home before darkness and freezing conditions fall.

Bless 'em  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #1127 on: 13 January, 2010, 11:55:45 am »
With all this snow and rain coming, next thing will be floods.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1128 on: 13 January, 2010, 11:56:45 am »
Not flooding here yet in Brighton.

Just thought I'd get in first on this one!  ;D ;D ;D
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #1129 on: 13 January, 2010, 11:57:02 am »
Fun on the trains this morning. Electrical fault (20 minute wait at Queenstown Road while they tried to restart power to the rear 4 coaches) followed by no free platforms at Waterloo (45 minute wait yards outside the station) meant my train journey into work took 90 minutes instead of the usual 18.

Think I'll have lunch, pack up the laptop and go home early to avoid a similar debacle on the way back.

Very very tempted to cycle in this morning, wish I had now...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1130 on: 13 January, 2010, 11:57:45 am »
None overnight in Harlot - mine was the only motorcar with SNO on it when I arrived this morning.  It's been coming down steadily since about 08:30 but doesn't seem to be settling very well.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1131 on: 13 January, 2010, 12:00:27 pm »
Not flooding here yet in Brighton.

Just thought I'd get in first on this one!  ;D ;D ;D

You ought to see what the Bishop of Carlisle is saying about the rest of the country.  ;D
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1132 on: 13 January, 2010, 12:01:02 pm »
I hadn’t seen the forecast (not that it would have mattered) so wasn’t expecting more snow today – I was going to switch back to my road bike today but a glance out of the window first thing changed my mind.

So still on the MTB with fat knobblies I made my way in via Richmond Park, past vehicles that were wheelspinning in what appeared to be slush (the park was closed to motor traffic again this morning)– I was able to enjoy the fresh snow in the middle of the park and on the Tamsin Trail before it gets rutted and icy.

Vehicles were nose to tail on the other side of the Park, almost all the way from Roehampton Gate to the Upper Richmond Road - I used the cycle track for a change and made reasonable time.  After that it was just slush on the roads, apart from a few side roads, the Wandle delta and Battersea Park.

Took quite a bit longer than normal but was lots of fun.

Tim

« Reply #1133 on: 13 January, 2010, 12:01:06 pm »
<still haven't had a chance to try out the new tyre I put on the back of the 'cheetah***>

Now that's going to be a whole lot of TEH FUNNAY  :thumbsup:

We've just had an email from corp comms:

Riding it on Friday (on tyres with barely more tread than slicks) was a real problem getting to work (uphill) - muchly not teh fannay.

Two problems - not enough weight over the back wheel and an almost slick tyre means that it is very difficult to apply any meaningful impetus. It's wider than the wheel routes cut into the lanes, so at least one wheel was in the mush meaning it dug in muchly grinding me to a halt.

Coming home (downhill) on Friday was a different matter - games played included when do I jam the brakes on to come to rest at the next <pick landmark of choice>, if I jam the brakes on whilst riding in the middle of the road will the camber draw me to the left hand verge or the right hand verge...

I'm hoping that the knobbly bastard will allow sufficient drive power to get me up hills despite the best efforts of the trike to dig in.

border-rider

« Reply #1134 on: 13 January, 2010, 12:03:12 pm »
Quite a lot came down here last night, and it is still snowing.  Probably 4 inches.  We're just on the edge of it, and the Forest has it badly.

« Reply #1135 on: 13 January, 2010, 12:06:39 pm »
Rain here. Patchy white in the fields.

border-rider

« Reply #1136 on: 13 January, 2010, 12:20:54 pm »
It's fair bucketing down with Big Sno now.  I'm glad I got out for my run earlier :)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1137 on: 13 January, 2010, 12:25:02 pm »
We've had 4" lovely and white and cold.

A devlivery man still managed to deliver a box of hard disks and software though, so I'm not bored.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1138 on: 13 January, 2010, 12:29:55 pm »
I'm hoping that the knobbly bastard will allow sufficient drive power to get me up hills despite the best efforts of the trike to dig in.

I had a cycle cross tyre on the back of mine last winter.  It does give power up the hill, but the slicks on the front wheels do not allow for any stoppage.  No tyres gave grip when travelling sideways on ice at 25mph.

I also beached it on the ice outside the house mid donut.  Couldn't get sufficient grip to climb the camber of the road.

« Reply #1139 on: 13 January, 2010, 12:31:24 pm »
My road in Forest Hill SE London, taken a few minutes ago.

To be fair, busier roads a quarter of a mile distant are clear and rideable - although the overnight forecast of -4°C is likely to change that.

« Reply #1140 on: 13 January, 2010, 12:35:56 pm »
My road in Forest Hill SE London, taken a few minutes ago.

Oh look, there's my bedroom...  :o

When I headed off this morning, it was a pristine blanket of snow.  There were only two other sets of footprints up the road.  One set belonged to my daughter.

« Reply #1141 on: 13 January, 2010, 12:38:18 pm »
...I also beached it on the ice outside the house mid donut...

You are, dear sir, a big kid.

« Reply #1142 on: 13 January, 2010, 12:39:44 pm »
A good 6" and still dumping SNO here!

I'm taking a day's leave.  

gordon taylor

« Reply #1143 on: 13 January, 2010, 12:40:24 pm »
We had a little bit of snow overnight and the roads were as slippy as hell this morning. I was in first (smug) on studded tyres and the rest of the staff drifted in over the next two hours. Stafford was gridlocked following a couple of bumps at crucial junctions.

We have a contingency prepared so we gather the children in the hall and send them off when a teacher is in and ready. Lesson one started about 15 mnutes late and the day has progressed smoothly since then. All our children (500) are local and walk or cycle to school so they're pretty much all here.

Unfortunately the posh high school in town has shut (again  ::-) ) so our kids are indignant and grumpy. Ha! I've just improved the mood of one group with an hour of trigonometry too.

And the head of science split his trousers whilst snowballing at break. Ha Ha!

I love this job.  ;D ;D ;D

simonp

« Reply #1144 on: 13 January, 2010, 12:42:46 pm »
It's snowing here.  Very small flakes.  The first time I've actually been out cycling when it's actually been snowing, this winter.  I've not been cycling much because my car is in the garage (and I've continually been promised the part will arrive tomorrow.  Finally I've decided to not believe them, and have cycled in, which means it'll be fixed today).  I took snow tyres, not expecting ice or snow, but there's still frozen snow in some places on the cycle paths.  Then it started snowing as I left the physio.

« Reply #1145 on: 13 January, 2010, 12:52:58 pm »
Is today the wrong day to have used the Brompton?

« Reply #1146 on: 13 January, 2010, 01:30:36 pm »

You don't so much dance with the Devil, more so, do the jive with him.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Tim

« Reply #1147 on: 13 January, 2010, 01:50:54 pm »
Was this time last week the wrong day to take the tandem?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1148 on: 13 January, 2010, 01:56:41 pm »
Coming down properly here now.  Yay!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος