Author Topic: Am I overdoing it?  (Read 5443 times)

Am I overdoing it?
« on: 19 April, 2008, 07:13:15 pm »
Yowser, am I suffering today!!! I started with 40 miles cycling on Tuesday and 5 hours of skating, and then did 20 miles riding and 3 hours of skating each day on Weds, Thurs, and yesterday. My muscles are aching and shivery, I feel zoned out and have done nothing but stay collapsed on the couch all day and have had a 2 hour afternoon nap. I've also got extreme hunger and thirst. It's not flu though, more like extreme distressing pain from overexercise.

I'm sure I used to be able to do much more than this last summer. Maybe it's just too early in the season to be fit enough?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
Re: Am I overdoing it?
« Reply #1 on: 19 April, 2008, 07:15:42 pm »
Sounds like a lot - how old are you BikeMenty??

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2008, 07:16:58 pm »
Ice skating or roller skating?

Treewheeler

« Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2008, 08:33:23 pm »
Your just a big wet blanket! ;)
 Get out there with Teethgrinder and do some proper exercise...

annie

« Reply #4 on: 19 April, 2008, 08:44:20 pm »
I think you have overdone things.  I speak from experience.  I know that today I experienced the same flu like pains in my legs and feet after a very long walk with Nutkin, well we walked for 4 hours.  It subsided after about an hour, a piece of chocolate cake and a coffee later.

Eat, drink plenty and rest.

« Reply #5 on: 20 April, 2008, 09:39:02 am »
Yeah, my own fault really.  It's the sudden increase in demand for skating lessons with spring, together with not being able to have afternoon naps all last week.  Afternoon naps really help with recovery!!!

The funny thing is I stopped doing on-skate training, and took the train which halves my commute to 20 miles round trip, and it still wasn't enough!

I'm still tired and not quite right today, but it's back to work.  I'll just take it slow, and at least I have a full rest day tomorrow with another chance for a nap.

annie

« Reply #6 on: 21 April, 2008, 03:00:35 pm »
How are you today BentMikey?

« Reply #7 on: 21 April, 2008, 03:18:02 pm »
Better thanks!  It's another rest day thank goodness, just in time to get all knackered tomorrow again, LOL!

annie

« Reply #8 on: 21 April, 2008, 03:20:56 pm »
Glad to hear you are resting and feeling a bit better.  Be kind to your body and it will serve you well. :-*

« Reply #9 on: 28 April, 2008, 10:04:32 am »
I'm amazed, I'm still running myself into the ground after each half-week's effort.  (I tend to work and ride all weekend and rest on Monday, followed by work/ride on Tues, Weds, and Thursday, and another rest day on Friday).  I do remember the last two years springtime being hard, but this seems much worse.  Maybe I'm just forgetting the pain I went through then, though my commute has gotten a lot longer and hillier.

At least I'm not so bad today, I made a huge effort to cycle slowly and keep the power low all weekend, and I treated myself to an hour and a half's sports massage on Friday.

annie

« Reply #10 on: 28 April, 2008, 04:31:25 pm »
I feel pretty lousy today, flu like aches and most irritable.  Much better after going to a neighbour's to use their shower.  I did go to the gym this morning and walked the dogs.

There are lots of viruses making the rounds at the moment.  Even Mr Annie has complained of aching legs and feeling tired much of the time.

« Reply #11 on: 28 April, 2008, 04:33:30 pm »
I did go to the gym this morning and walked the dogs

Oooh Annie!!!  No more exercise for you, not even going to the gym!!!  I think you should take at least a whole week off, with as much rest and sleep as possible, and no exercise at all.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 28 April, 2008, 04:39:36 pm »
It's interesting that we have 3 threads (2+1 in Audax) on the go relating to rest'n'recovery, some by riders worried they've overdone it. Yet we're not even into the "season" proper when people normally do big rides and big miles.

I wonder if this reinforces the value of getting in the steady base miles over the winter before introducing the harder sessions as soon as the clocks leap forward?

[/patronising]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #13 on: 28 April, 2008, 05:55:56 pm »
Are you eating enough?  Especially protein?

annie

« Reply #14 on: 28 April, 2008, 08:24:15 pm »
It's interesting that we have 3 threads (2+1 in Audax) on the go relating to rest'n'recovery, some by riders worried they've overdone it. Yet we're not even into the "season" proper when people normally do big rides and big miles.

I wonder if this reinforces the value of getting in the steady base miles over the winter before introducing the harder sessions as soon as the clocks leap forward?

[/patronising]

I cycled all winter, just lots of good steady rides, also ran and walked but never did too much.  Illness causes set backs and it takes a while for the body to catch up with the mind.  I did my first 200 in February and my second in March, felt much better by the end of the second. 

Have a huggle Mikey :-*

« Reply #15 on: 29 April, 2008, 08:28:09 am »
Matt makes a good point - at least for me.  I didn't do so much this winter for one reason and another, and it's a small part of the problem.  The bigger part is of course going from 2 days of teaching skating lessons per week to 5, with 2 or 3 times as many hours each.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #16 on: 30 April, 2008, 10:46:41 am »
I wonder about the possibility of multi-modal commuting Mike, you live quite far from where you work - would it be possible to ride a couple of miles to a station, train it, then ride the final leg to where you teach?

Also, as per your comment on another thread - consider the option of turning to internal combustion. You can ride a motorbike, and a nice 600 like the Suzuki GSX-650F fitted with hard luggage could really help you out. It is fully faired, friendly and good fun too. You wouldn't need to use it for every journey, but it would certainly help relieve the strain on your body if you used it on alternating days for example.

From what you have said in this thread, it seems like your body is saying that it just isn't able to meet the demands your are placing on it. In the short term this is more unpleasent than anything, but if you push yourself this hard over time, you could really end up doing yourself some harm - which could hamper your cycling when you get older.

It is never nice to be reminded of your body's frailty, but one must listen to the messeges you are recieving, and react accordingly. You know better than most what you are capable of when trained and fully fit, and it is so frustrating to be suffering as you are, but you need a break - overtraining is counterproductive.

Keep us updated as to how you are doing. Here's rooting for you.  :)
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #17 on: 30 April, 2008, 04:11:47 pm »
Some good points there JRG.  I think mostly I just need to be more careful about riding slowly, and about resting enough and using the train where necessary.  The bummer is there are no train stations up here on Biggin Hill, so using the train only halves my ride from 42 miles to 20 miles round trip.  What bugs me is that I know I should be capable of a lot more mileage going by what so many on here are managing to do with relative ease, although perhaps they are not doing a physical training job as well.

Still like the idea of getting a motorbike though.  In the past I gave up because my girlfriend and her family were not keen on the safety side (now she's Mrs BM!!!).  With all my cycling and more sensible behaviour nowadays, she wasn't so against the idea when I brought it up the other day.

The one benefit of this is that I'd be able to get in a lot more time on my skates for skate specific training, which is the first thing I drop when I know I can't handle any more in a particular week.  Last year I managed to do only a couple of interval sessions, and that really sucks!

« Reply #18 on: 30 April, 2008, 04:39:22 pm »
I'm a great believer in the value of overdoing it occasionally. It is the way I 'train'. But you can overdo overdoing it, if you see what I mean.

« Reply #19 on: 09 May, 2008, 04:24:47 pm »
Well, much better this week, after a relative rest week last week with all the rain.  It was a very busy week too, lots of lessons, 250km on bike, plus some intervals on skates yesterday, and yesterday's ride in was hammering, I was up to 30mph several times on the flat.  It seems my body is adapting quickly, thank goodness!

I'm hurting today though, but I did at least get in a good 1.5 hour plus afternoon nap each day this week.  Now I just need to significantly up my skating mileage in preparation for the London to Brighton.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 09 May, 2008, 05:23:43 pm »
Well, much better this week, after a relative rest week last week with all the rain.  It was a very busy week too, lots of lessons, 250km on bike, plus some intervals on skates yesterday,
Someone of your fitness should be able to do 250k/week on the bike without overtraining (+ a few skate miles) _IFF_ you take it easy. So if you need another 'rest' week, just turn down the pace.

(I presume you can give lessons without beating each pupil in a sprint?!?)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #21 on: 09 May, 2008, 06:38:10 pm »
I think you over-rate my fitness level!!

The rest week was only because of the rain, which meant I couldn't work.  Even so, a full week's work should really be 350km of cycling, except I've been taking the train home as well as riding slowly.

« Reply #22 on: 15 May, 2008, 11:52:15 am »
I'm defo overdoing it at the moment, riding harder and harder, and putting in some skating mileage.  Problem was that skating mileage was all an ego contest with cyclists in the Park.  Oops!

« Reply #23 on: 02 June, 2008, 07:54:29 am »
Still simmering away at the maximum of what my body can take, but I've felt a huge improvement in the last month and have increased my volume significantly.  My average speed has gone up a fair bit too.  Woooo!!!