Author Topic: Best way to get back up to distance?  (Read 2224 times)

Best way to get back up to distance?
« on: 23 April, 2016, 10:17:54 pm »
OK, I've pretty much not ridden sine 12th March when I DNSd a 400 after 385k... I'd like to jump back on & would love to do a 4 or 600 but want it to be fun!

What's the general opinion of how best to quickly to ramp up?  It'd be foolish to enter the severn across which was my original plan :(

I've had a quiet year with 3x200's since Christmas being my only other long rides.  I'm thinking maybe some quality time on Trainerroad 3-4 times a week with a 200 on April 30th, then continue that and try a 4 at the end of may.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Best way to get back up to distance?
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2016, 10:24:19 pm »
If you've done 3 x 200 since xmas, I don't think you need to do anything other than Just Do It.
That's probably more prep than a lot of folks have for an Easter Arrow!
You are in RRTY territory here, for goodness sake!

I'd try to keep up some base miles in the meantime, like perhaps commutes or whatever.
And at the weekends, I'd want to be doing the odd 100k here and there just for fun.
But I'd not get religious about it. Otherwise, nothing special.

Just put the DNF behind you, and get back on the horse.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2016, 10:27:19 pm »
^ agreed

That is way more than I had done (nothing longer than 110km since end of January) and I got around the route check of the Severn across just fine.

Of course I had been riding reasonably constantly, just not any distance due to time and motivation constraints. You have the disadvantage of 5-6 weeks of not riding much since your DNF, but take it steady and you'll be reet.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2016, 04:30:53 pm »
Aye, JFDI is probably the order of the day.

I'd done nothing longer than 80km or so since PBP, with barely any riding at all this year, but got round the Oasts and Coasts yesterday just fine, topped off with 25 or 30km in each direction from home and back again. I'm a little tired today, but still functioning ...

« Reply #4 on: 24 April, 2016, 09:30:11 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement - will have to get something booked in!

Andrew

« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2016, 09:16:27 am »
I've done a 400 on the back of next to nothing. Just riding a bike innit?

Ok, I didn't break any records (nor bones) and I was flagging for the last 50 or so km but I took it easy and completed with hours to spare.

Just do it.

Gruby Mits

• I am in this only for the cake factor
« Reply #6 on: 26 April, 2016, 10:50:22 am »
How about a nice long weekend of touring? 3-4 days fully loaded, with some hills thrown in too will get you back to be solid.
Plus it is fun!
Anyway that works for me to shape up.
If you have the time...
What? Turn left that way?