Author Topic: Strap me up?  (Read 2547 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Strap me up?
« on: 13 January, 2010, 12:57:57 pm »
Lifting straps: What do people think of 'em?

One of my current gym goals is a bodyweight clean.  To do that, I'm finding that I need to be comfortable lifting significantly more than that for the lower end - some heavy deadlifts, basically, to make the clean explosion easy.  My limiting factor in heavy deadlifts is my grip, not my back or hips (exacerbated by the once-broken finger making my right hand even weaker than my merley nerdy left). In particular, over about 120% bodyweight I have to use a mixed grip to avoid dropping the bar.

I could work around this by using lifting straps for just the heavy sets.  But then would my grip ever improve?  Dilemma dilemma!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Re: Strap me up?
« Reply #1 on: 13 January, 2010, 01:11:29 pm »
I've used straps only for personal bests.

Nothing worse though than a back that is much stronger than a grip.
(looking like you're really powerful, but really unable to deliver the goods)

Are you using the "hook grip" a bit painful at first, but you soon get used to it.
It's your own natural lifting strap. It'll deliver twelfty % more gripping power than a conventional grip.

The most effective grip and forearm developer I know is this:

Seat yourself on a bench and hunch forward placing your forearms on your thighs
with your palms facing up, and palms just sitting over the knees.

Get a light* barbell and now let it roll controlled down to your finger tips and now return it
to the heel of your palms.
You're doing curls but keeping your forearms in contact with your thighs throughout.

This exercise  is so effective that it is really easy to over do it.
So much so, that it's a total mission to pick up your post-workout shake and get it to your mouth.

* that's all you'll ever need for this one.

When I've hit dead-lifting plateaus, through grip issues, I've gone back
to the above exercise for a while and it's helped me break through them.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 13 January, 2010, 01:31:12 pm »
when we were doing a lot of lifting for rowing training we werent allowed to use straps.  Our forearm / grip build exercise was a 2 foot long bit of oar with three feet of cable attached and a 10kg weight on the other end.  You hold it at arms length and slowly wind the weight up and down.  A few of them and you'll be begging for mercy and your forearms will throb beautifully.

« Reply #3 on: 13 January, 2010, 01:34:33 pm »
Yeah, what Mike has said.  

That one's a real torture that gives awesome results.  :thumbsup:

That's another one where you have to be careful not to overtrain, as it's so effective.
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 13 January, 2010, 01:36:04 pm »
Bah, you're supposed to say "buy the toys, there there."   :P

I'll stick a grip obliterator in as a finisher today and giggle at the silly forearm pump once more.  ;D
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #5 on: 13 January, 2010, 01:40:08 pm »
Of course, you could get a suburito bokken, and do 500 cuts morning and evening.  It's the grip, and the stopping of the bloody heavy weight that do the good, not the swing.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 13 January, 2010, 01:56:27 pm »
Don't get me started or I'll end up playing with hammers.  And they scare the cat! O:-)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 13 January, 2010, 02:06:39 pm »

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #8 on: 13 January, 2010, 03:28:40 pm »
Got the 1 and trainer models, but I can't figure a way to work my gammy little finger, either way round.   

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #9 on: 13 January, 2010, 03:48:37 pm »
Another thought: am I going about this the right way?  Viz, if I want to clean 100kg, should I be driving for a heavy deadlift up to around 200kg or repping 150 until I barf?  Hmm.

« Reply #10 on: 14 January, 2010, 10:11:26 am »
both.
 ;D

and hang cleans, and front squats - no end of fun to be had   ;D ;D ;D
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #11 on: 14 January, 2010, 10:41:06 am »
I f'kin hate front squats, they brutalise my wrists.

Ah well, nothing for it but to do the work.  Bah!  Grunt!  Clank!   :smug:

« Reply #12 on: 14 January, 2010, 10:46:34 am »
I f'kin hate front squats, they brutalise my wrists.

So do the more favoured 'Egyptian Mummy' grip instead.

« Reply #13 on: 14 January, 2010, 10:49:17 am »
Another thought: am I going about this the right way?  Viz, if I want to clean 100kg, should I be driving for a heavy deadlift up to around 200kg or repping 150 until I barf?  Hmm.

You need both, and also, lots of close and medium grip upright rows.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #14 on: 14 January, 2010, 12:37:25 pm »
Ooh, good point there, that's exactly the phase I'm borking at.  *adds to list*

Ditto joy with mummy grip.  Not everything has to be a 'clean simulation' after all...

« Reply #15 on: 14 January, 2010, 12:56:12 pm »
Great thing about "Mummy" front squats is the absolute perfect form you have to adopt
in which to execute them.
There can be no bad habits for this one.
It teaches "perfect form" and you also only need a very moderate weight in which to fry your quads with.
Brilliant for "core" stability too, which is an absolute must for clean 'n' jerk.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #16 on: 14 January, 2010, 01:32:31 pm »
Rock climbers strengthen grip by just hanging - not from a bar but from a flat surface, so your fingers are taking the weight.

Not extended hang but with some tension so your muscles are under stress.  Pulling up is good but not necessary - better is probably varying by doing one-arm hangs, two-finger hangs (varying the fingers used).

But be careful, puts a big load on finger tendons and ligaments so go canny.

Another technique is just to hold the bar for a few secs after each deadift rep before you set it down.

« Reply #17 on: 14 January, 2010, 01:35:28 pm »
better is probably varying by doing one-arm hangs, two-finger hangs

I'm now visualising that Deckard scene from Blade Runner.  :o

« Reply #18 on: 14 January, 2010, 01:39:38 pm »
Exactly!

Tho' you are allowed to use two hands.

A renowned boulderer called John Gill was reported (ie actually observed) to do one finger/one hand pullups on a gymnastic ring - f:ckin' A   ;D

« Reply #19 on: 14 January, 2010, 01:41:30 pm »
 :o
I hope he doesn't do prostrate examinations.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #20 on: 14 January, 2010, 01:45:04 pm »
I feel like I've stumbled into some homo-erotic tryst after reading this thread. Does anybody else feel sullied and dirty after reading the thoughts of these obvious bum-ber-teers?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #21 on: 14 January, 2010, 01:57:43 pm »
I feel like I've stumbled into some homo-erotic tryst after reading this thread. Does anybody else feel sullied and dirty after reading the thoughts of these obvious bum-ber-teers?

You and your account of VHS recorder "trapped" tape port, while in A&E?

« Reply #22 on: 14 January, 2010, 05:09:15 pm »
A bit OT, apologies, but if you are interested in stupidly strong folks doing ridiculous feats try

Chin-Ups

Of relevance to this cycling forum might be

Bert Assirati   

Born in England, a European professional wrestling champion, a record-holding weightlifter, and a skilled gymnast. He could hold a one-arm handstand at 266 lbs. and could perform a series of back somersaults with lightness and grace. Also a long distance cyclist.