Author Topic: Silly bike parking  (Read 1450 times)

Silly bike parking
« on: 15 October, 2013, 06:10:56 pm »
I would really like to understand what happened in the brain of the people who designed this "bike parking" place:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Silly bike parking
« Reply #1 on: 15 October, 2013, 06:13:29 pm »
Perhaps they were thinking motorcycles?

« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2013, 06:32:29 pm »
In some countries (and that photo indicates to my Holmesian senses that it is Abroad) have a culture of using  stands and, if they feel like locking for a short stop, "nurse locks". So, for them a bay like this near the door makes sense.

Of course we ride silly bikes without stands here in Blighty. And believe we are surrounded by crooks so cart round locks weighing twice the weight of the bike - and won't park anywhere without a locking point with the solidity of Stone Henge.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2013, 06:36:07 pm »
Ever tried to get a D-lock round Stonehenge?  It's rubbish.  Unless perhaps it's the Spinal Tap version...

« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2013, 10:06:28 pm »
Good  place  to  park a  trike  :)

« Reply #5 on: 15 October, 2013, 10:14:44 pm »
that will be a granite lock then  :demon:
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #6 on: 16 October, 2013, 05:35:27 am »
Perhaps they were thinking motorcycles?

"Velo" in French clearly means bicycles, not motorcycles. I used to think  that they will put a bicycle rack here soon, but it has been like this for at least one year!

In some countries (and that photo indicates to my Holmesian senses that it is Abroad) have a culture of using  stands and, if they feel like locking for a short stop, "nurse locks". So, for them a bay like this near the door makes sense.

It is in Cosne-sur-Loire, France. I've seen many of these stand-equipped bikes in Belgium and Netherlands, but here the dutch-style city bike is a rarity. People here will rather use a cheap MTB
with no stand and no mudguards for daily commuting.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 16 October, 2013, 09:36:50 am »
This is yet another of those surprising ways in which Britain and France are more similar to each other than to the rest of Europe.  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #8 on: 16 October, 2013, 01:18:43 pm »
Seen today: Moderately decent bike, with fairly decent lock.  Locked around a 3 foot high street bollard.   Yes, you could just pick it up and lift it off the top of the bollard.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #9 on: 16 October, 2013, 01:29:55 pm »
Was it David Cameron's?

« Reply #10 on: 16 October, 2013, 10:48:20 pm »
Probably means "Just bring your bike in" :thumbsup: