Author Topic: Which GPS for Audaxing  (Read 7967 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Which GPS for Audaxing
« on: 08 February, 2016, 10:59:52 am »
Whilst I have a very nice 920XT for measuring almost every performance variable possible, and some that aren't, it does not allow routes to be uploaded as GPX and has too small a screen in reality for that kind of stuff.

I'll probably get away with good old fashioned paper maps for the first few to learn the ropes, is there a definite advantage to a GPS unit, and if so which one?  Staying with Garmin the e-trex look reasonable  for example.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Re: Which GPS for Audaxing
« Reply #1 on: 08 February, 2016, 11:14:21 am »
And how long is a piece of string? !!!!!!!!!!

ElyDave

« Reply #2 on: 08 February, 2016, 11:24:27 am »
And how long is a piece of string? !!!!!!!!!!

at this stage maybe up to 300km

« Reply #3 on: 08 February, 2016, 11:33:27 am »
I use a Garmin Edge 800 and have found it to be fine, once you realise it crashes after a certain distance and you need to save route and start again.

Other considerations might be battery life and power options: I have to rely on external power for long rides while other devices can use AA batteries.  You pay your money and make your choice!

Plenty of previous discussions on this in the GPS board and like most things, including politics and religion, opinions vary.

« Reply #4 on: 08 February, 2016, 01:12:57 pm »
As you've already got a good recording device, all you need is a SatNav, not necessarily a GPS.

Garmin Zumo 340 for motorcyclists and a 10,000 mAhr USB pack.

or

TomTom Rider 400 with USB pack.

The TomTom has a 'Bicycle' transportation mode which gives ETA based on 20 kmh average speed. Also useful stuff like 'NON hilly route'.

ElyDave

« Reply #5 on: 08 February, 2016, 01:24:00 pm »
As you've already got a good recording device, all you need is a SatNav, not necessarily a GPS.

Garmin Zumo 340 for motorcyclists and a 10,000 mAhr USB pack.

or

TomTom Rider 400 with USB pack.

The TomTom has a 'Bicycle' transportation mode which gives ETA based on 20 kmh average speed. Also useful stuff like 'NON hilly route'.

SatNav/GPS tend to get used interchangably, but I understand what you mean.

Do those two do GPX route uploads as well?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 08 February, 2016, 01:43:26 pm »
The Edges (eg, 810) are best if you want loads of ride metrics at your fingertips - but I do mean loads, like 20 or 30 data fields.  If you can make do with 10, then the Etrex models (eg, 30x) have longer battery runtime and the bats can be replaced in seconds if needs be. 

If you intend to ride a 300, then if you buy an Edge (fixed rechargable bat) you would be doing so knowing full well that you're going to end up powering it externally - which IMHO would be just daft.   Edges are very attractive (obviously, because so many people have them and like them) but are really best suited to day-rides, by which I'd mean 12 hours or less.  I suppose if you're going to ride 10 100s and 200s in a year, and one 300 - that's OK.  If you're going to major on the longer rides, the Etrex is a better bet.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #7 on: 08 February, 2016, 03:19:24 pm »
The Zumo 340, although about double the weight of an eTrex, behaves exactly like a SatNav in a car, except its waterproof and cold proof for a motorcycle’s handlebars.
Pick the right deal ( £240 ) and you get free lifetime map updates.

It takes routes from Basecamp.

An added bonus on the Zumo is you can tell it how many mpg you do and how big your tank is. If you say 20 mpg and you have a 3 gallon tank, it’ll notify you when you’re approaching 60 miles and its time to fill up.

If you do opt for an eTrex and you find you are searching this forum for answers to your numerous problems, you‘ll then realise you should have bought the Zumo.

Dunno about using a slave battery with the Zumo. I push and pull the USB batt pack and my TomTom simply switches automatically from external to internal power supply. I had a 4 x AA USB pack which would provide a complete re-charge while the TT was in use on the bike. This got me comfortably through a 200. Another Set of AAs could get a 300 finished.

Now I have a 6000 mAhr USB pack which allows the TT to be used for 24 ish hours with careful planning. A 12000 mAhr pack is available. And larger.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #8 on: 08 February, 2016, 03:50:58 pm »
Etrex gets fewer mounting options, is a bit bulkier and doesn't talk to other sensors as well as an edge. I like my Etrex though as it runs on AA batteries so I don't need to worry about external chargers.

Whatever GPS unit you choose, go for one with a map displayed. I used to use a little Geko 201 with just the breadcrumb trail, but I find the map enabled devices far easier to navigate with. Especially at roundabouts with lots of exits close together that could be the right route.

Usually now I download or make a gpx track and just follow the purple line on the screen for the ride. Other than looking up the controls, it means very little navgating :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

ElyDave

« Reply #9 on: 08 February, 2016, 04:04:32 pm »
Thanks all

All this thing would need to do was the navigation, from GPX files.  I have the Garmin 920 XT for all the rest of it and would not plan on replacing/getting rid of that as it has a 40 hour life and I can use it for everything else non-audaxy and integrates with all the sensors.

« Reply #10 on: 09 February, 2016, 07:00:09 am »
If you eventually become an AUK Organiser in a large urban conurbation, like Birmingham, ALL the Garmin units designed for Hiking and Biking are totally crap for use as a ‘Courier’ tool for delivering to your local customers.
When they are adjusted to ‘By bicycle’ they avoid any busy road and you end up riding twice the distance you needed to.
When they are adjusted to ‘Delivery van’ they take you onto the A38(M), M6, M5 and M42 to attempt ‘short cuts’.

For a ‘stand alone’ SatNav for a bicycle, there is NOTHING better than the TomTom Urban rider ( 3.5” screen ). Sadly discontinued, but available for not much on eBay.

IJL

« Reply #11 on: 10 February, 2016, 03:44:00 pm »
Thanks all

All this thing would need to do was the navigation, from GPX files.  I have the Garmin 920 XT for all the rest of it and would not plan on replacing/getting rid of that as it has a 40 hour life and I can use it for everything else non-audaxy and integrates with all the sensors.

There's a lot of options but I use an edge 705 which will give turn by turn instructions, the battery lasts for a 200 in daylight but the backlight quickly drains power at night, it can be charged on the go with one of those rechargeable usb thingies (if you remember the thingy and the cable).  More the point ebay has a few used ones for reasonable money.

GPS navigation is certainly not essential, but it is nice to have, not only will it given instructions at each turn but it will mark the route on the map page so you know within a few metres when you go off route.  The beep when there's a turn coming up is also very useful if your attention span is as short as mine

« Reply #12 on: 10 February, 2016, 07:40:45 pm »
Get a Garmin Zumo. You know you want that sultry lady's voice in the Bluetooth earpiece.

ElyDave

« Reply #13 on: 11 February, 2016, 03:22:48 pm »
will it take a GPX file?

The EDGEs seem overpriced for what I need unless a cheapo E-bayer comes up as I already have the 920, and the EDGE is no use for running

« Reply #14 on: 12 February, 2016, 06:50:46 am »
will it take a GPX file?

The EDGEs seem overpriced for what I need unless a cheapo E-bayer comes up as I already have the 920, and the EDGE is no use for running

You load routes through Basecamp. So whatever basecamp can do.
The downside of the Zumo is it doesn't have a 'bicycle' setting, so ETAs cannot be realistic for a pedal cycle. The TomTom does and the ETA displayed is based on a 20 kmh average speed.
I look at Garmin's offerings regularly and so far, they have NOT got a bicycle applicable SatNav.

« Reply #15 on: 12 February, 2016, 07:18:02 am »
Get a Garmin Zumo. You know you want that sultry lady's voice in the Bluetooth earpiece.

Can't think why we don't see more of these on audaxes

::-)

« Reply #16 on: 12 February, 2016, 07:27:58 am »
Frankly Frankie has it right, although I disagree about the power source.

The 810s are sleek and efficient, with everything imaginable on them. You'll get car sat-nav style routing (ie. A warning bleep before every turn and an exploded view of the upcoming junction). I've been using the Edge series and their predecessors for 13 years without issues.

I much favour the internal battery devices over the AA ones as they are sleeker, and you don't get the issue of the device shutting down on bumpy roads ((Garmin may have rectified this, but I've no interest in risking it). If your ride time is over 14-15 hours (or less if you have all the Bluetooth bells and whistles switched on such as live tracking) then you'll need an external source. I've always used a small li-on USB pack in a tri bag on the top tube. Never found it to be a problem.

ElyDave

« Reply #17 on: 12 February, 2016, 08:37:51 am »
let me say it again, I won't be buying an edge unless I get one dirt cheap. My XT920 has all the metrics you can shake a stick at and a 40 hour battery life, and I can go run with it.

I thought about a ride specific device before buying the 920 but decided against it, Nav was not one of the issues at the time.

« Reply #18 on: 12 February, 2016, 08:53:12 am »
Get a cheap bike computer from aldi then.

If you don't want NAV you don't need a GPS.

ElyDave

« Reply #19 on: 12 February, 2016, 09:03:30 am »
FFS, read my last post, AT THE TIME NAV WAS NOT AN ISSUE.  This thread was asking which NAV GPS is best for audax, not which performance tracker.

I HAVE A GARMIN 920XT which does the metrics.

« Reply #20 on: 12 February, 2016, 09:25:15 am »
Don’t heat up ElyDave.

If you chop these guys heads off, they’ve got “Garmin” written through them.

Six years ago, I got sick with the labourious fiddling and crap routing of Garmin, so took the plunge and bought a TomTom Urban rider 3.5” touchscreen.
Did I get the piss taken? Did I get slagged off? Oh yes and it hasn’t stopped.

The long and the short of it, there doesn’t need to be a thread on this forum discussing TomTom UR faults because I haven’t encountered any faults. In six years, its been 99.9% reliable. That 0.1 % was my fault.

Maybe, just maybe, some ‘lateral thinking’ might happen here. When there's a second AUK who uses TT UR, maybe the pair of us can start a 'TT UR' thread. I have ridden many AUK events in the past six years with no worry about the routes I load onto TT.

I recently rode Marmite Geoff’s 100km ride with nine Waypoints. The route would have been shorter if I’d followed TT’s initial route suggestion.

Yes, its heavier than a Garmin eTrex. Yes, its larger than a Garmin eTrex, but hey, when I ask for a postcode, address or Lat/Long and ask it ‘by bike’, I get a sensible route without needing to create and overcheck the route on a laptop.

It’s a motorcycle SatNav for M/C couriers. If it was crap, TT would not have continued with subsequent versions with added functionality.

Slag me off. Do I care? Nope.

The strange thing is, when I’m on an event, other riders are intrigued and impressed with the performance of my TT. Its only on this internet forum I get grief.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 12 February, 2016, 10:03:14 am »
Possibly because you suggest it in response to pretty much every GPS question going, regardless of whether it's an applicable solution?

I've used TomTom's car units, and don't doubt that it's excellent for getting a sensible route from wherever you are to a given postcode.  I've seen rower40 OTP use his Urban Rider on the bike, and it works admirably well.

But The OP in this instance was asking for a device for following GPX tracks.  I don't think TomTom can do that?

ElyDave

« Reply #22 on: 12 February, 2016, 10:11:58 am »
Cheers Ning,

I will have a look at that TomTom as I've not heard of it. 

Generally I find folks on here very helpful, and I'm not anti Garmin at all, but when I've said at least three times I already have a Garmin which provides X and I don't need another one to do that...

Dave

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 12 February, 2016, 10:38:34 am »
Generally I find folks on here very helpful, and I'm not anti Garmin at all, but when I've said at least three times I already have a Garmin which provides X and I don't need another one to do that...

Well yes, but if you want feature Y, it's silly to dismiss a device that provides features X, Y and Z simply because you've already got one that'll do X and have no interest in Z.

If nothing else, a device that can do X+Y means you only then need to carry/power a single device.

Of course, it's perfectly legitimate to carry a unit that can do X and Z for its Xing capabilities, and a second device that's really good at Y.

And it's the nature of internet forums that people provide information based on their knowledge, and some don't read the question properly.  Hence if you ask a generic GPS question on a cycling form you'll get plenty of posts about Garmins (because they make some of the best units for what most cyclists need), some posts about smartphones (because lots of people have them, and with a bit of effort it's possible to use them for GPS stuff), and Ningishzidda talking about his TomTom and how his Garmin's at the bottom of the river in Stratford.

On which note, how do smartphone-based solutions (eg. the TomTom app) compare to the Urban Rider for pure navigation?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #24 on: 12 February, 2016, 10:44:43 am »
I've said at least three times I already have a Garmin which provides X and I don't need another one to do that...

In fairness, I don't think there are many appropriate devices that will only do that one thing.
They pretty much will all have one or more of the other features included.
Would that duplication be a problem?