Author Topic: Training for a 100k  (Read 3641 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Training for a 100k
« on: 01 October, 2017, 06:32:36 pm »

I'm trying to train for a 100k ride. Currently my commute is 7.5k each way, and I've been extending that with the occasional 28k route home, and averaging ~100-114km per week (mon-fri). I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to increase my distances? I'm kinda working in the dark here, have not trained properly for a long ride before. When I've tried in the past I've always given myself a training injury at some point...

Any advice greatly appreciated.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Re: Training for a 100k
« Reply #1 on: 01 October, 2017, 06:34:20 pm »
I'd say you'd be fine for 100km with what you are doing, tbh, so I'm no help, sorry.

Samuel D

« Reply #2 on: 01 October, 2017, 06:40:37 pm »
Do a couple of rides of around 50–60 km on the terrain you expect to do the 100 km ride, eating a snack (e.g. a sandwich) about halfway. If your body reacts okay to eating and then continuing to ride, you’ll be fine for the 100 km ride, considering your average weekly distance.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 01 October, 2017, 06:41:00 pm »
My rule of thumb is "Whatever you can comfortably do in a week (around work, life, etc.), you can uncomfortably do in a day." By that reckoning, you are ready to do a 100 whenever you like.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #4 on: 01 October, 2017, 07:41:04 pm »
Is this for a specific event? If so, try to do at least a 50km ride with the same bike, clothing, food that you are planning to use on the event - you will then know if you need to change any part of your setup before the day.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 01 October, 2017, 08:37:21 pm »

Thanks for the replies. Do any of the replies change if it's 2 100k rides, on consecutive days?

J
--

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 01 October, 2017, 08:48:01 pm »
Just make sure you eat and rest sensibly in the days before and between the rides.

Don't skip meals, do get to bed at a sensible time and eat a good meal after the first 100km ride.

I'm beginning to sound like the Yiddisher Mama I am not...

« Reply #7 on: 01 October, 2017, 09:22:56 pm »

Thanks for the replies. Do any of the replies change if it's 2 100k rides, on consecutive days?

J

I think all you need  is just a bit of self confidence! All the other replies are plain common sense, I totally agree with. With your basic training, you can do 2x100km, it's all within your mind.

A

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8 on: 02 October, 2017, 08:45:18 am »
Just make sure you eat and rest sensibly in the days before and between the rides.

Don't skip meals, do get to bed at a sensible time and eat a good meal after the first 100km ride.

I'm beginning to sound like the Yiddisher Mama I am not...

This plus what others have said.  Break it into an elevenses, lunch and 3's and make sure you eat something or at least have a short rest and a cuppa.  The biggest difference between what you are doing over a week and what you want to do is that you are eating and sleeping between all the little bits that make up the 100km.  You can lessen that uncomfortableness by having the breaks.  The second 100km might ache a bit when you go to set off, but will get better as the day goes on :)

Try it out on a couple of 50km rides that should give you an idea for pace also... but if you are regularly doing 100km a week, it will be taxing but doable I would have thought :)
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #9 on: 02 October, 2017, 08:55:38 am »
Is the 2x out and back? If so, then the second day will be easier because you will know what to expect.

Is there some particular aspect that is concerning you? For example, is there a load of climbing? Comfort on the saddle? Aches and pains?

One thing I do when doing multi day rides that stretch me is to have Ibuprofen on me, so it's there if I need it. I rarely do, but it can be a lifesaver.

dim

« Reply #10 on: 02 October, 2017, 09:10:58 am »
On my daily commute, I travel from home to Cambridge city on the cyclepath most days. From my home to Cambridge station is just over 5km and it's a fast ride (12 minutes or less depending how many pedestrians and other cyclists get in the way)

When I am doing a long ride, and I'm starting to get tired, (and lets say I still have 40km to ride), I say to myself:

40km .... not too far, it's only 4 times to the station and back

sounds corny, but it works for me  ;)
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 02 October, 2017, 09:22:29 am »
Is the 2x out and back? If so, then the second day will be easier because you will know what to expect.

Is there some particular aspect that is concerning you? For example, is there a load of climbing? Comfort on the saddle? Aches and pains?

I think my biggest fear is saddle comfort and the aches and pains of being in the same position. I've only ever done long rides on bikes that don't fit properly in the past - 65k on my old bike that was way too long and caused all sorts of arm and shoulder pain. This ride will prove whether my bike fit has actually worked.

That said the first day does have quite a bit of climbing, tho I don't mind if I have to get off and walk the steep bits. My bike has a 34:34 gear, so I should be able to get up most things, even if I'm not much faster than walking pace. It's just really hard to train for climbs, Amsterdam isn't known for it's hills...

One thing I do when doing multi day rides that stretch me is to have Ibuprofen on me, so it's there if I need it. I rarely do, but it can be a lifesaver.

Ah, good ole vitamin I. I will be carrying this by default.

Thanks

J
--

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 02 October, 2017, 10:29:43 am »

J

You can largely answer that yourself, going by how you feel after you're used to doing 100k.  Basic rule is don't hammer it on the first day. And eat something like spaghetti carbonara in the evening.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight