Author Topic: Bike lock  (Read 4410 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: Bike lock
« Reply #25 on: 01 August, 2019, 11:27:31 am »
From what I've read, the major purpose of locking your bike at controls on PBP is so that it doesn't get moved when you're not looking, so you don't waste time trying to find it. 

As a general point, even if you are locking the bike, it's with having some way of easily identifying your one among the hundreds that will be stacked up at the controls, especially at night. It may have looked a bit daft but I have always had a small, brightly coloured cuddly toy fixed to the handlebars or saddlebag for PBP or LEL. It makes it much easier to spot the bike among a sea of identical-looking handlebars and saddles.

Echoing other comments, I always take a lightweight lock too, for cafes, shops, etc.  Of course it won't deter the serious thief - only carrying half a ton of metal would - but it should put off any casual opportunists and I wouldn't want to risk a long, miserable walk to the next control / railway station.

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: Bike lock
« Reply #26 on: 01 August, 2019, 08:54:37 pm »
As a general point, even if you are locking the bike, it's with having some way of easily identifying your one among the hundreds that will be stacked up at the controls, especially at night. It may have looked a bit daft but I have always had a small, brightly coloured cuddly toy fixed to the handlebars or saddlebag for PBP or LEL. It makes it much easier to spot the bike among a sea of identical-looking handlebars and saddles.

Boggis the singe [don't call him un petit urs, he gets offended] will be coming along for the ride again - doesn't get out of bed for less than 1200kms. Reminded me he needs a tricoleur ribbon to replace his LEL tartan - he sits high up on my bar bag at the front so can be seen from all sides. It helps that my frame is large [Poppy Parkes is 24"] and Carradice bar-bags sit high too. A distinctive saddle cover or other eye-catching marker would work well - it is unbelievable how many bikes get parked in a small space at controls. You might remember you were parked near, say, a red tandem or an Italian club group of Colnagos, but by the time you get back out, all the landmarks have changed!

My cafe lock will probably not get used again this time, but I'll still carry it.