Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 434075 times)

felstedrider

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #2500 on: 19 April, 2023, 08:12:02 am »
So I've been getting out for training whenever can but April's mad for my family with Easter, holidays, birthdays a d anniversary so slipped a bit. However took day off yesterday and planned a longer run along the flitch way, a old railway track that's now a bridleway.

Ended up doing 43 40 km in just under 5 hours which was very pleased with as a big step up in distance and parts of the path were very muddy.

Legs also aren't too bad this morning

Most of my early runs were on the Flitch Way which I can pick up within a couple of minutes of my front door.

My hip woes continued and I have stopped running for now as there's too much cycling on this Summer.   I'll try to get back to Parkrun pretty soon.

« Reply #2501 on: 30 April, 2023, 01:12:32 pm »
Putting this here as not sure if runners will look at ‘free to a good home’…

I’ve got a very low mileage (I.e. under 30) pair of Inov8 Trailfly G300 Max trail shoes. Unfortunately I don’t get on with them - although they’re a 5 on Inov8’s fit scale the toe box is lower than the G270s, which combined with the 6mm drop doesn’t help my clunky and Morton’s Neuroma’d right foot. Size 11.5 in Inov8 speak.

So, if anyone would like them and make use of them please drop me a on with your address.

Cheers

Mike

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2502 on: 03 May, 2023, 12:54:28 pm »
With it being PBP year there's too much cycling on the agenda for any serious running, so have hung up the shoes and will aim for another Beachy Head Marathon in October.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #2503 on: 04 May, 2023, 08:28:41 pm »
Is the flitch way cycleable on a road bike, 25mm tyres?
Thanks

« Reply #2504 on: 16 May, 2023, 07:52:29 am »
very steady 11 miles here.  Still using run / walk, but up to 8:2 which gives loads of time to recover.  I got to 90 minutes with no issues, comfortably in zone 2 as per the plan, but then something went awry and my heart rate shot up by 20 and the last half an hour was pretty tough.

Actually enjoyed most of a half marathon distance run on Sunday, 9:1 run/walk, about half a minute/km faster and HR 20 beats lower than 5 months ago. Wasn't at all sore on Monday.  The training is working...

« Reply #2505 on: 20 June, 2023, 04:12:32 pm »
I will get round to a proper write up but over weekend did my big run/walk. 101.95km in 14:45 moving. Undecided if enjoyed it but glad I did it.

« Reply #2506 on: 20 June, 2023, 07:01:31 pm »
Congratulations. That is awesome as an achievement.

« Reply #2507 on: 22 June, 2023, 09:46:00 pm »
Congratulations. That is awesome as an achievement.

Thanks, have popped a write upnin ride report but having basically done couch to 100k pretty dam pleased. Still shattered from it mind

« Reply #2508 on: 05 July, 2023, 09:15:13 pm »
Weirdly due to not being able to move very freely after run first week although managed a Saturday cycle and heading off to France for a wedding second week I'm now into third week with no running and my legs are tight and sore which is how they often were including the week before run when rested. Really does suggest that exercise is good for them.

Off out for a cycle tomorrow eve and think I'll try and get out for a run Sat morning before the wife heads off for the day leaving me to sort the social plans of the kids

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2509 on: 29 August, 2023, 09:44:58 am »
Now that PBP is over, have started running again.  6.5km this morning to test out the legs.  They seemed to go ok, was able to keep under 5 mins/km and push the last km quicker.  Beachy Head Marathon  is too soon and also clashes with a study day, but will look for a target late November or December.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #2510 on: 19 October, 2023, 05:41:11 pm »
Not sure whether to put this in this thread or the "I'm a div" one.
Spent part of the afternoon in A&E having fallen over while running this lunchtime.
The final section of my regular route is down hill on a pedestrian underpass with overhanging trees. It's always a bit slippery there, but usually not too bad if you stick to the centre of the path. Today I met two women each walking a dog. They were both very good about going to one side of the path and keeping the dog close to them. As I passed the second, I must have stepped too far onto the chutney at the side of the path and I went down like a ton of bricks. I was winded, have a bruised and grazed knee, a bashed elbow, and the smallest of cuts on my near my eyebrow from the hinge of my glasses. That last of course blend like blazes, so I looked appalling. One of the dog walkers stayed with me while the other went to my office, only a couple of hundred yards away, returning with two first-aiders.
As I'd obviously hit my head, I was told I had to go to A&E, so MrsC came to take me there.
There appears to be no serious damage. It does not look as though I have concussion. My knee is going to be painful for some time though.

The two women who stopped to help were lovely and Yeovil A&E were excellent.

I will have to work out a new lunchtime running route for the next few months. I don't think I will be doing parkrun on Saturday.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2511 on: 23 December, 2023, 12:28:38 pm »
Strava is such a nag!
It's been telling me I need new shoes for ages now, and they've only got 2000k on them.
So I've got new ones just to shut it up.

New Shoes by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

« Reply #2512 on: 01 January, 2024, 09:25:46 am »
Having got the running bug last year, although bulk was first half of year and not really doing new year's met a mate for a little 5km explore which went out the window and did a rather muddy 10km run instead. He is a talented runner and I don't go quick but having him with me always helps me run a few PB sections on strava

Really need my shifts to come through for work so can book into an event to aim for and train for

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2513 on: 06 January, 2024, 05:47:43 pm »
Set myself the goal of running the Basingstoke Canal this year, about the 5th time I've set that goal, and never managed it yet.  13km in going that was heavy, waterlogged in places, today and felt full of running at the end, so will probably aim for a half next Friday, but might make it a tarmac one unless its icy.  Not planning any Audax events until April and no PBP to worry about, so will see where running takes me this year.

« Reply #2514 on: 09 January, 2024, 02:55:26 pm »
A mate on strava posted a challenge,  run  100 miles in January. I was a long time ago a reasonable runner.  1984  Hitchin hard half marathon 1.21 and Swineshead ten aileron 1.01. Have run intermittently since but not for last 3 years . I'm on target 29 miles to date. It's slow, mostly 9m/ m. One 8.20 m/ m for 4.5 miles. My target ought to be met and beyond January  I'm aiming for 70% WAVA score. At 63 that's 23.15 for 5km, so probably a reasonably goal for April. I wattbike to help injury free aerobic fitness

Feanor

« Reply #2515 on: 26 January, 2024, 08:30:08 pm »
Since coming off chemo some months back, I've been slowly trying to ramp up my hill running.
I've done lots of my regular routes, and am slowly building strength.
I'm still significantly behind my previous times, and I'm not sure I'll ever get back to them; the best I can hope for is to get back onto the 'steady decline' curve I would have been on.

Today, I did a run up a hill I've never been on before; a little-known minor hill called Pressendye.
10k, a bit technically challenging in places, but a good day out.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10632810527

« Reply #2516 on: 06 February, 2024, 04:44:31 am »
Good luck Feanor.
I managed to complete the run 100 miles in January. Work commitments meant i missed 3 days and was concerned id miss the deadline. Fortunately, and amazing to me i remained injury free throughout and on 30th ran 13.1 miles in 2 hours flat with one of my sons who also joined this challenge. 2 miles on the 31st January and id met the target.
After a 3 day rest i attempted a 5 km time trial and ran 3.01 instead of 3.1 miles as it was dark and i was slightly short. Nevertheless, i recorded 23: 25. Equates to 67% on theWAVA score.
Im currently 85 kg at 184 cm tall. A full 15 kg heavier than in my 20s. My next goal is to get to 78 kg.
I intend to focus on audax this year but will run twice a week  so as not to lose the running fitness. At 63 its getting exponentially harder each year. Im just grateful i am able run at all when some of my friend and relatives of similar age have various health issues.

Feanor

« Reply #2517 on: 15 February, 2024, 06:47:59 pm »
Did a hillier variation of one of my regular routes today.
It's normally a 10k loop round Bennachie, a local hill.
Today, I approached it from a different point which added 4k to the length, but a bunch of climbing because I had to go up and over an extra hill both there and back.

https://www.strava.com/activities/10766714357

Weather was a bit pish, and I was glad of the heated seats when I got back to the car.

« Reply #2518 on: 20 February, 2024, 09:48:09 am »
Out for my pre-work run yesterday and saw a badger in the half light running across the fields.  Lovely.

« Reply #2519 on: 12 March, 2024, 02:03:37 pm »
As have been cycling to work loads haven't run much last 6 months. However got some time off work so went for a run. Was absolutely sodden but felt really good to be out. Annoyingly did 4.99km but always stop strava a little way from home and walk last bit to cool down and whereas have previously ended up running a few more metres to get to next distance I had stopped under a bridge to access phone without it getting soaked.

« Reply #2520 on: 20 March, 2024, 08:42:56 pm »
I think my road shoes are dead after probably sub 300km, did 800km last year but a good amount of that was in my old shoes and then off road came in so got a set of decathlon trail shoes which I was massively impressed with. My legs really ache after a short run yesterday and looking at them they're really worn on outside of heels.

Feanor

« Reply #2521 on: 28 March, 2024, 10:23:40 pm »
Did a 15k hill route today; the route of the medium distance option of the 'Illuminator' night-time hill race.
There was rather more Sno than I'd expected!

https://www.strava.com/activities/11055086099

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2522 on: 29 March, 2024, 08:59:53 am »
Since Spanish soil turn to sticky and slippery clay when wet, I'm on a forced hiatus from trail running, thanks Storm Nelson.

Yes there's roads in Spain but the last time I did that my legs hurt for two days after and also the idea of pounding tarmac is filled with boredom and dread. 
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #2523 on: 30 March, 2024, 01:35:37 pm »
Out for a little jaunt this morning. I ran with a friend week before slast and she had pace displayed on her watch so helped pace me better as would normally go too fast, have to walk a bit and then back to jogging. With her ran whole way and today was same. Pace was good and felt like could have kept going a lot longer until decided to smash out last push up an incline and then raced someone down the hill towards home

Feanor

« Reply #2524 on: 07 April, 2024, 07:55:50 pm »
Was in Edinburgh this weekend, and did a 10k hill run in the Pentlands.
A different set of hills to my usual Pentlands route.

Surprisingly hard. The initial climb gained about 300m in about 1.5k.
For context, the Cairn o' Mount steep side gains the same elevation over about 3.3k, but that's being done onna bike usually.
The wind was absolutely brutal on the summit ridge.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11118213802