Author Topic: [Recommend] SSD brands  (Read 1475 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
[Recommend] SSD brands
« on: 09 November, 2018, 01:33:31 pm »
Your opinions please.
I would like to get an SSD for Ms Beardy the younger’s MacBook Pro, but as it’s not something I buy very often I though I’d ask the hive mind for brand recommendations. So if you’ve any knowledge or experiences, good and bad, of SSDs please could you please share. I’m looking at either  500 or 1000 Gb.
Thanks in advance.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Re: [Recommend] SSD brands
« Reply #1 on: 09 November, 2018, 01:38:01 pm »
For reliability you could go for an "enterprise" grade SSD

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/hard-drives-ssd/ssd-sata-enterprise
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2 on: 09 November, 2018, 01:59:36 pm »
Crucial
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: 09 November, 2018, 09:23:53 pm »
I just outfitted the big thing with this: https://cpc.farnell.com/samsung/mz-76e500b-eu/ssd-2-5-sata-6gb-s-860-evo-500gb/dp/CS31637
The Samsung software in support is what sold it. Clone across, tell the BIOS to accept it, go!

It does a thing it calls TRIM, where it can set aside part of the disk space to move items round and round such that the memory all gets the same amount of wear to prolong life.

Night and Day in terms of performance and quietness vs a traditional HDD.
Cruzbike V2k, S40

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 09 November, 2018, 10:16:37 pm »
TRIM is a standard ATA command.  It allows the OS to tell the drive "I've finished with those sectors" without actually performing a write (which is faster, and prolongs the life of the flash memory).  The SSD can garbage collect however it sees fit, so there may be performance differences between brands.

Obviously it's only any use if the OS driver and filesystem support it, which all the major ones now do.  In the early days of SSDs, appropriate compatibility was a big deal (I've got a 32gig SSD[1] with buggy firmware whose write performance makes low-end spinning rust look fast), but these days they tend to Just Work.

[1] Relegated to boot drive duty in a router, where it matters not a jot.

« Reply #5 on: 09 November, 2018, 10:20:48 pm »
When I replaced the drive in my ageing iMac I used a Samsung 850 EVO SSD which to date has worked flawlessly.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #6 on: 09 November, 2018, 10:25:50 pm »
Quite a fan of kingston memory but currently have a few cheap 120gb crucial ones.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #7 on: 10 November, 2018, 03:14:19 pm »
I have several work machines running on Crucial drives. They're not the ultimate for speed, but quite quick enough to make a huge difference over spinning rust HDs. They've been cheap and reliable so far.  In my own PC I use Samsung for ludicrous speed, brand snobbery and because they're black.  Yes, I have a silly case with a window.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8 on: 10 November, 2018, 04:31:55 pm »
Kingston and Crucial on Towersnet.  No issues with either.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime