Author Topic: Dying Garmin 705  (Read 1432 times)

Dying Garmin 705
« on: 22 April, 2016, 06:53:49 pm »
Looks like my 5 yr old Garmin 705 is dying. It wont show up on my mac. I have tried hard resets etc and still no joy.

Unless I can find a fix I will be looking for a replacement. Any suggestions?

I want it for mainly day rides, audax and multiday audax rides. I tend to plan a route on bikehike and then follow the coloured line. (I dont really use turn by turn instructions). I have chubby fingers so small touch screens can get annoying.

And I want something that is easily swapable between bikes.

TIA
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

Re: Dying Garmin 705
« Reply #1 on: 22 April, 2016, 08:16:48 pm »
 800 and 810 is touch screen on a decent size.

« Reply #2 on: 22 April, 2016, 08:26:37 pm »
When my 705 started getting a bit old and grumpy I bought myself an Etrex 30X.  My only real complaint so far is that I haven't found a good way to get it to do turn by turn navigation but it sounds like that wouldn't be a problem for you.  Additional genuine mounts are expensive for what they are but potentially even more expensive if you buy the copies that then spill you gps!

« Reply #3 on: 22 April, 2016, 08:38:25 pm »
Looks like my 5 yr old Garmin 705 is dying. It wont show up on my mac. I have tried hard resets etc and still no joy.

I want it for mainly day rides, audax and multiday audax rides. I tend to plan a route on bikehike and then follow the coloured line. (I dont really use turn by turn instructions). I have chubby fingers so small touch screens can get annoying.

TIA

It's probably your Mac

:demon:

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 22 April, 2016, 08:48:40 pm »
Edge 520 looks good if you don't want a touchscreen, and don't want something too big.
It doesn't officially support mapping, but you can add some maps in the internal memory. Should work fine for following a preplanned route anyway.

« Reply #5 on: 22 April, 2016, 10:19:48 pm »

TIA

It's probably your Mac

:demon:

You know what...you might be right. I have plugged it into a windows laptop and it shows up. Found some files in the laps folder from todays ride and deleted them and now it shows on the mac again!

So in a roundabout way...thanks!
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 22 April, 2016, 11:44:24 pm »
Yes, it seems there can be problems with Mac OS creating hidden files on Garmins. Plus it can move files to a hidden trash folder, not actually deleting them.
This program may help: http://www.javawa.nl/cleaneject_en.html