Author Topic: Seeing the track on Vista HCx screen better...  (Read 1211 times)

Seeing the track on Vista HCx screen better...
« on: 29 April, 2016, 11:42:03 pm »
In case anyone's interested (may be old hat) I had a go at increasing the width of the HCx displayed track by displaying two slightly different tracks of same colour.  I downsized to 500 trackpoints in ridewithgps, and then with the same original track downsized to 500 with a different (WinGDB3) program...

Some pics...

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Seeing the track on HCx screen...
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2016, 12:09:04 am »
Hmm, the obvious refinement would be to write a program to generate a second track a few metres off to the side of the first.

Re: Seeing the track on Vista HCx screen...
« Reply #2 on: 30 April, 2016, 07:13:47 am »
Would be neat.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Seeing the track on Vista HCx screen better...
« Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2016, 01:37:23 am »
The traditional approach is to generate a route and a track.

Assuming you start with a track, set it to display in dark green, which gives the best contrast against other map colours and is  least likely to be confused with a road. Then use wingdb or similar to convert the track to one or more route segments as appropriate leaving the color as default pink or white as you prefer.

That way you get the static track shown as a narrow line highlighted by the wider route. It also means you get the turn by turn instructions from the 'follow road' route, and can clearly see if the Garmin is routing is attempting to take you away from the set track, though that becomes less likely as you set more route points/route segments. 50 route points per 200km is usually enough to keep you on on track, which is handy because thats the routepoint limit per route segment for (H)CX models.

Same approach works for Cx range though I don't think you can set colours, though that's a minor problem really

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2016, 10:13:31 am »
Illustrated here - green Track over a white follow-road Route.

On the current-model Etrexes and most other newer Garmins, just colouring a Track and displaying on screen doesn't really work, because
a) 'show on map' is no longer the default mode - if you want to see your coloured line, you have to go into the menus to turn it on
b) the 'improved' map rendering makes the single Track line more difficult to see, it just gets lost between the two lines defining the road.
On these models you really have to 'navigate' a Track, which turns it into a Route-like thicker purple line.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #5 on: 03 May, 2016, 01:12:25 pm »
Thanks.

I'll try the green on white this w/e; possibly also with an additional track (with differently reduced trackpoints).  I tried the OP method at the w/e and in bright conditions, when wearing sunglasses, having a second non-identically plotted track line, with some separation on the display did seem to help me...

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 03 May, 2016, 01:53:36 pm »
Well I think your OP method is a pretty good idea - though of course it does halve your Track storage.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll