Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018994 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Seen today
« Reply #2050 on: 07 August, 2011, 11:14:32 am »
A very cheeky mouse in the shed. I went out to fill up the washing liquid and feed the birds. While I was filling the bottle I heard a scuffling noise and turned round to see a mouse leaping out of the bag of dried mealworms and sitting on the box of fat balls. I knew it would eat the fat balls given the chance but I wasn't expecting it to eat the worms. Will explain why the bag was suddenly full of 'broken biscuits' though!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Chris N

« Reply #2051 on: 07 August, 2011, 12:43:08 pm »
Lots in Mid Wales yesterday: red kites, buzzards, goldfinches, a hare and what looked like a merlin.  I think that's the first one I've seen. :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2052 on: 08 August, 2011, 11:10:11 am »
I forgot to include this in my ride report last week, but on Tuesday, whilst descending in the Black Isle towards Fortrose, I was travelling at about 25 - 30 mph when what I'm reasonably sure was a vole shot out from my left and I think it went between my wheels. I hope I missed it  - I certainly didn't feel anything - and simultaneously there was a great disturbance to my left and a red deer doe suddenly set off, travelling at about the same speed as I was. I once saw one of these buggers leap clean over a fence which must have been about 6' high so even though there was a hedge between us, I braked sharply so as to avoid any chance of the deer trying to emulate the vole.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2053 on: 08 August, 2011, 04:41:09 pm »
Saw a barn owl last night.

On today's ride saw a huge hare run across the road in front of me in Higham, Suffolk.

Saw a baby alpaca who had been born five hours before - he's Dillon and belongs to my friend Kirstie.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #2054 on: 08 August, 2011, 05:00:40 pm »
Saw a baby alpaca who had been born five hours before - he's Dillon and belongs to my friend Kirstie.

Photie ?
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #2055 on: 08 August, 2011, 05:05:42 pm »
Day before yesterday a Marsh Harrier

I saw one of these for the first time (leaving aside one that I may have hallucinated at Dunwich) on Wednesday up on the north Norfolk coast between Holkham and Wells.  A very fine sight.  A hobby and a little egret also at Holkham, and peregrines at Poplar while we queued for the Blackwall tunnel.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2056 on: 08 August, 2011, 05:47:43 pm »
Speaking of voles, there was a large dead one on the drive yesterday.  The cats deny responsibility but the little one is looking a bit shifty.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2057 on: 08 August, 2011, 06:03:05 pm »

Photie ?

Being sniffed by his half-brother Stanley

My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #2058 on: 08 August, 2011, 06:07:34 pm »
Happy  :)

5 hours you say ?  They come out big don't they !
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #2059 on: 09 August, 2011, 08:19:58 am »
Happy  :)

5 hours you say ?  They come out big don't they !

Probably fold up quite well though.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2060 on: 09 August, 2011, 08:48:05 am »
We were driving back from seeing family, under the lee of Stac Pollaidh, when one of the kids said we might see some deer. I said that as it was windy and chilly they would all be in their burrows. Miss Jaded added that all you'd see would be their antlers, like old branches. Right around the next corner we were both proved right.

These deer were the wrong side of the wire.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2061 on: 09 August, 2011, 08:53:20 am »
That reminds me. I saw a roe deer stood by the side of the rail track on Sunday evening. That must be the fifth time in a year and it is always in the same stretch, between the Balcombe tunnel and the M23.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2062 on: 12 August, 2011, 02:27:37 pm »
Just seen this out of the window. It was moving too fast/too far away to get a good photo

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2063 on: 12 August, 2011, 02:28:30 pm »
And this little chap near the beach.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2064 on: 12 August, 2011, 08:00:53 pm »
Mr Bullfinch is back on the sunflower seeds.  I haven't seen him for a week or two.  Mrs Bullfinch was with him this morning.  They are getting incredibly rare, but they did manage to knock out at least one sprog this season.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #2065 on: 12 August, 2011, 09:00:55 pm »
A fox scampering through the gardens behind our place this morning

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #2066 on: 12 August, 2011, 09:06:41 pm »
I've noticed this year there's been lots more of the UK 7 spot ladybirds around, compared with last year, when there were lots of the foreign invading Harlequin ladybirds.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #2067 on: 12 August, 2011, 09:14:47 pm »
I saw a ladybird in a park the other week with four spots. mmmmm
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2068 on: 14 August, 2011, 08:16:26 pm »
Yesterday morning: a sparrow hawk perched on a dead tree in the park. It was very impressive that, although it was standing on a large bough with no other twigs or foliage near it, it actually merged in with the colour of the bark very well. Jan and I were watching it for a few minutes when the bloody dog got bored and started barking, whereupon the sparrow hawk flew away.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #2069 on: 14 August, 2011, 10:35:12 pm »
Heard, rather than seen on today's ride:  a quail  :smug:

« Reply #2070 on: 15 August, 2011, 03:34:38 am »
And this little chap near the beach.

Very nice!
scottclark.photoshelter.com

« Reply #2071 on: 15 August, 2011, 09:45:50 am »
That reminds me. I saw a roe deer stood by the side of the rail track on Sunday evening. That must be the fifth time in a year and it is always in the same stretch, between the Balcombe tunnel and the M23.
I used to count it a bad day if I didn't see roe deer on my rail commute between Reading & Newbury. There were three spots where I'd often see them.

Saw one standing in a wheat field watching us cycle by on Friday, & a dead fawn at the side of the road yesterday. A lot of flattened fauna on our Sunday ride: as well as the fawn, there was  a big & bloated badger, stinking to high heaven, & more pigeons & rabbits (mostly obviously young) than one could shake a stick at.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

border-rider

« Reply #2072 on: 19 August, 2011, 08:03:07 am »
10 house martins doing complicated aerobatics outside the kitchen and shouting, just for the sheer joy of it, on a lovely sunny morning  :)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2073 on: 23 August, 2011, 08:33:03 am »
A mouse. Being squabbled over by the hens as they had caught it in the run this morning.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #2074 on: 23 August, 2011, 04:04:34 pm »
Perv Cat from nextdoor who likes to stand up on the box under the bathroom window, poke her head through the open window and watch you shower.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart