Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018257 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Seen today
« Reply #2075 on: 23 August, 2011, 04:23:12 pm »
A huge flock of long-tailed tits.  Maybe this should go in the squee thread?

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs25/f/2008/035/2/7/Long_Tailed_Tit_2_by_cycoze.jpg
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2076 on: 23 August, 2011, 08:07:13 pm »
Perv Cat from nextdoor who likes to stand up on the box under the bathroom window, poke her head through the open window and watch you shower.
And to think that people once doubted re-incarnation.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #2077 on: 23 August, 2011, 09:46:30 pm »
Two close encounters out on the river tonight:
A low-flying pigeon that nearly took my hat off.
A wasp crawling around the neck of my waterbottle.  Fortunately very sleepy so it didn't sting.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

rogerzilla

« Reply #2078 on: 24 August, 2011, 07:54:19 am »
IME modern wasps don't sting anyway.  They're got fat and indolent, and are easy to kill.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #2079 on: 24 August, 2011, 01:49:43 pm »

Definitely squeee ...

« Reply #2080 on: 24 August, 2011, 04:38:20 pm »

Wild nature in all its raw glory -- three House Sparrows hopping into the air intakes of a parked Honda to pick out the dead bugs.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2081 on: 24 August, 2011, 04:57:22 pm »

I don't know what was on there but it triggered the IT policebot  :-\
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2082 on: 24 August, 2011, 06:27:14 pm »

I don't know what was on there but it triggered the IT policebot  :-\

Possibly.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #2083 on: 24 August, 2011, 07:54:22 pm »
from the country show on sunday:

not sure what kind of birdie it is, i remember them saying it was from 'arabia' and didnt like cold weather..

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #2084 on: 25 August, 2011, 08:47:31 pm »
Saker falcon, probably ...

rogerzilla

« Reply #2085 on: 28 August, 2011, 06:17:02 pm »
The easiest to train is supposed to be Harris's Hawk.  The best is supposed to be a cross between a gyr falcon and a peregrine; the gyr is more powerful but comes from the frozen north and doesn't tolerate warm climates.  Cross it with a peregrine and you get the best of both worlds.

border-rider

« Reply #2086 on: 28 August, 2011, 06:27:24 pm »
A cloud of over 100 swallows, swifts & martens whizzing around our little valley :)

On Monday morning, a red squirrel as we exited Paris

On Thursday afternoon, a squashed red squirrel in the same place :(

rogerzilla

« Reply #2087 on: 28 August, 2011, 06:39:16 pm »
A muntjac with a death wish crossing the road in front of me.  Horrible ugly things.

When we went blackberrying earlier this week, lots of spectacular "Robin's Pincushion" galls on the roadside dog roses.

« Reply #2088 on: 29 August, 2011, 05:45:52 pm »
Four apparently motherless young shrews, one of them lifeless & the others no doubt soon to join it. They were milling about at the edge of a track, except for the flattened one in the middle. One was looking weak. It tried to suckle my finger, poor thing.

Mrs B wondered if we might try to save them, but when I described the difficulty of rearing shrews, she regretfully abandoned the idea.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2089 on: 29 August, 2011, 08:54:13 pm »
A ladybird which had alighted on my bosom. I let it walk onto my finger and over my hand for a while and then I shook it off into some flowers.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #2090 on: 30 August, 2011, 08:55:47 am »
This morning when I got up, through the brain fog that accompanies going to bed too late on a school night, I faintly heard the tinkle of a cat bell. I dismissed it as the windows were open and the cats like our garden. Then I noticed a sleeping cat shape left on the soft cushions on our sofa. I felt the imprint and it was warm! When I went downstairs to the loo, on my freshly cleaned windowsill there were muddy paw prints. So Pervy Cat slips in through our bathroom window at night.

This isn't the first time I've thought that Pervy Cat has slept in our living room, but I've never had this much evidence before.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2091 on: 30 August, 2011, 09:07:23 am »
A ladybird which had alighted on my bosom. I let it walk onto my finger and over my hand for a while and then I shook it off into some flowers.

This post is useless without being filmed in soft focus with a backing of gentle music and then used to advertise some feminine hygiene products. :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #2092 on: 30 August, 2011, 04:49:47 pm »
A bit late to count as 'seen today', but 3 kingfishers blue-streaked across directly in front as mattc and I were riding the canalside path back to Ouistreham early on Saturday evening.
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

« Reply #2093 on: 03 September, 2011, 11:53:04 pm »
Our volunteers' jolly today finished with a visit to the new RSPB reserve at Middleton Lakes.

We saw a small flock of lapwings take flight as a buzzard appeared above. However the big excitement was seeing several grass snakes swimming in a recently excavated scrape on the edge of a reedbed. And despite the 2011 (Midlands) drought, it was full of water.

They were all fairly young. None was thicker than my little finger, and only one had the black flank markings that I've seen on bigger specimens on our (WWT) reserve in Alcester. It was just amazing to watch them wriggling through the water, with only a head poking up above the surface. I don't think life would be much fun for tadpoles on that bit of water.

The reserve has some nice Sheffield stands. Sadly, but not surprisingly, mine was the only bike there.

« Reply #2094 on: 04 September, 2011, 09:45:40 am »
Between Turners Hill and Lindfield the night before last a weasel ran across the road in front of us. Tiny and very quick.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #2095 on: 06 September, 2011, 08:21:22 pm »
A kestrel, battling in the teeth of today's gale to hover for half a minute or so. He/she stopped, turned and disappeared downwind in seconds.

Fortunately I had only a crosswind at the time, with a nice dense quickthorn hedge for extra shelter

border-rider

« Reply #2096 on: 06 September, 2011, 08:38:54 pm »
We've a little family of buzzards on our land.  They're incredibly squeaky  - presumably the young and their mother communicating - and they're very happy  that we've just had the grass cut so they can see the micicles :)

They hover & soar over the house all day long.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Seem today
« Reply #2097 on: 08 September, 2011, 07:06:37 pm »
Last night but only a few minutes before midnight, as I was approaching Brock Hill, a very appropriate badger.

« Reply #2098 on: 11 September, 2011, 08:39:05 pm »
About five minutes ago, a delicate little bat fluttering around my shoulders just outside Paddington station. Magical!
Abnormal for Norfolk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2099 on: 11 September, 2011, 11:33:21 pm »
What looked from a distance to be a small piece of dog poo scuttling across the road turned into a field vole as I got closer. It found its way onto the grass verge, which had been mown, and was unable to conceal itself. It didn't seem to be alarmed at my proximity and I wonder how good their eyesight is.