Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018296 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Seen today
« Reply #2150 on: 16 October, 2011, 07:48:45 pm »
Skylarks in October!?!  :thumbsup:

For me it was a day of raptors. Three buzzards circling above a copse - does that mean they would be a family group? Are buzzards territorial? Then two kestrels, separately, one jamming the wind, the other perched on a wire. Also lots of feathery signs of a sparrowhawk, but I didn't actually see it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

border-rider

« Reply #2151 on: 16 October, 2011, 11:34:30 pm »
Skylarks in October!?!  :thumbsup:

For me it was a day of raptors. Three buzzards circling above a copse - does that mean they would be a family group? Are buzzards territorial?

yes, and yes

We have a small family group - mother & 2 young - who've been milling about our little valley shouting at each other this summer.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2152 on: 18 October, 2011, 12:19:00 am »
Thanks, MV. Saw another buzzard today, although I didn't recognise it until I heard its "kee-ow" cry. And an owl, in the middle of the day in a small copse of trees around an old quarry. I assumed I must have disturbed it by clomping around like a clumsy human, but I see that the short-eared owl is diurnal and matches the muddy brown colour I saw.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2153 on: 18 October, 2011, 12:24:47 am »
A pair of buzzards between Canewdon and the river Crouch. Very impressive. One of them was hovering quite adroitly.

Also, 4 skylarks all within a few yards of each other.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

border-rider

« Reply #2154 on: 18 October, 2011, 10:48:10 am »
Thanks, MV. Saw another buzzard today, although I didn't recognise it until I heard its "kee-ow" cry.

It's called bwncath in Welsh, which roughly translates to cat-bird, because of its call.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2155 on: 18 October, 2011, 05:57:31 pm »
Slightly more mundane, but, while I was eating a butty at the western kiosk in Richmond Park, there was a very beautiful crow, with no fear of humans.  It was wandering about near me, chattering away.  Unfortunately, when he was in front of me, the sun was behind him, so I couldn't get a decent photo.  When he hopped round under the bench, I got this:

The feathers showed up beautifully when in the sunlight, with an iridescent blue and purple coming out.
Getting there...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2156 on: 18 October, 2011, 06:27:29 pm »
Looks like a jackdaw?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2157 on: 18 October, 2011, 08:05:13 pm »
Yes, it was, of course.  The RSPB site has the chattery call.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/j/jackdaw/index.aspx
Getting there...

« Reply #2158 on: 18 October, 2011, 10:00:45 pm »
A mouse, in the office.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #2159 on: 19 October, 2011, 12:02:10 am »
Slightly more mundane, but, while I was eating a butty at the western kiosk in Richmond Park, there was a very beautiful crow, with no fear of humans.  It was wandering about near me, chattering away.  Unfortunately, when he was in front of me, the sun was behind him, so I couldn't get a decent photo.  When he hopped round under the bench, I got this:

The feathers showed up beautifully when in the sunlight, with an iridescent blue and purple coming out.

'Tis true, 'tis a Jackdaw but you appear to have wet yourself, nevertheless!

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #2160 on: 19 October, 2011, 03:13:11 am »
Late post...but a semi-palmated sandpiper, little stints, little ringed plovers, eiders and an avocet at Pennington a week ago.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2161 on: 19 October, 2011, 12:33:31 pm »
Coupla seagulls 'paddling' for worms this morning.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2162 on: 19 October, 2011, 10:40:55 pm »
More buzzards...

Monday, working with my brother-in-law in his dad's garden, we heard a soft call (contact call?). The caller was obvious, slope soaring halfway up the ridge. Then we spotted the second bird, over the top of the ridge. B-i-l had never seen buzzards there before, though when he lived there buzzards were very rare in England. It's the first time I've heard these calls, and I've no idea what they signify.

Tuesday, while labouring in a disused railway cutting, I heard similar soft calls. Only one buzzard was visible, but the view was limited by trees.

Today, removing surplus sedge & silt (and copious amounts of hydrogen sulphide with delicate organic overtones) from a nearby pond, we heard the clear, penetrating sound of a buzzard who was confident he was in charge of his patch. Again, the (presumed) caller was visible, but trees limited the view.

What's going on? The "territorial" call (should that be "song"?) would fit with autumn establishment of territories, with older birds competing with young males - do buzzards do that? But what are the soft calls be about?

« Reply #2163 on: 19 October, 2011, 10:44:42 pm »
A pair of swans flying parallel to the train I was on leaving Paddington this morning.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #2164 on: 21 October, 2011, 04:23:34 am »
Nick, there are a number of sounds birds make, one of which is 'song', which the Cetti's warbler memorably declaims as "Fight me, F*** me, or F*** off!"

Another set are alarm calls, which are usually loud, as per the blackbirds "chackchackchack..."

A third are begging calls and parent-chick noises.

Finally, you have contact calls, such as the willow warbler's "fooeet" or, indeed, a buzzard's soft "Hi, I'm here, anyone else about?"
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #2165 on: 21 October, 2011, 10:19:43 pm »
Thanks Steph.

I'm not very good at bird songs & calls, but have noticed blackbirds' alarm calls (when they're not turning over rustly leaves in the undergrowth). 

I'd guessed that the soft calls might be contact calls, but can't understand why there's so much more buzzard communication than usual. I don't think of them as sociable birds, like rooks or sparrows, so wonder whether it's seasonal.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2166 on: 21 October, 2011, 10:21:10 pm »
I saw a jay in Redhill today.  It flew down from a hedge, posed side on in front of me, looking just exactly like an illustration from a bird identification book, then flew back a moment later.  Just showing off its lovely colour for me :)
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2167 on: 22 October, 2011, 11:22:46 pm »
Jays are beautiful.  :)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2168 on: 24 October, 2011, 04:30:45 pm »
Just back from Wales, where there were ravens flying round Dryslwyn Castle on a dark cloudy day, making it look very evil.  They look like crows but they're the size of buzzards.

Also a pair of male bullfinches in Dinefwr Park and a load of deer.

And, from 8pm last night, a LOT of rain.  West Wales is apparently getting a month's worth of rain in 24 hours.  It wasn't raining this side of Bridgend and it's bone dry in England.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #2169 on: 24 October, 2011, 09:32:49 pm »
Just back from a wet week on Mull.  Managed to see: both eagle species (just); hen harrier; great northern diver; whooper swan; barnacle goose - and lots of wind and rain.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2170 on: 30 October, 2011, 06:00:19 pm »
Along with the ubiquitous buzzards: fieldfare, GSW & 2 red kites  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2171 on: 30 October, 2011, 07:09:06 pm »
I'm guessing it was the whole family of kites, as I saw 5 circling over a small copse calling to each other!  Fantastic sight as they were really quite close!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2172 on: 31 October, 2011, 12:57:16 pm »
A bumblebee, bumbling around my garden-ette this morning. It is warm for the last day in October.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2173 on: 31 October, 2011, 05:39:32 pm »
Two heron and four kingfishers. Narrow boat holiday ftw.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2174 on: 01 November, 2011, 01:08:43 pm »
Peacocks / hens.

A whole flock(?) of them.
1 male and around 6 females, strutting around the car-park of a rural village hall just off the main road, at around 06:30 this morning.
Goodness knows where they came from.

--
F