Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018526 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Seen today
« Reply #2250 on: 13 December, 2011, 08:59:02 pm »
A blackbird, pecking about among the hailstones. I wouldn't have thought this was worth mentioning as they used to be a many-a-day sight, except that they do seem to be getting less common now.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #2251 on: 13 December, 2011, 09:21:05 pm »
Some blackbirds migrate (if it's a seasonal absence)

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #2252 on: 13 December, 2011, 09:23:33 pm »
Other blackbirds get slaughtered by magpies. Their open nests make the young easy prey.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2253 on: 13 December, 2011, 11:21:14 pm »
Some blackbirds migrate (if it's a seasonal absence)
No, I'm thinking of year on year, over ten or more years (probably twenty). Of course it's hard to compare, as I'm living in a different place...

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #2254 on: 18 December, 2011, 06:17:10 pm »
Hundreds of fieldfare in large flocks in the fields and trees by Woodspring Priory, on a cold & breezy walk around Sand Point (Weston-s-mud). Lots of goldfinch flitting about as well. Good views across to the snow-covered hills of south Wales.
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2255 on: 18 December, 2011, 06:36:41 pm »
While pootling through Richmond Park with Sergeant Pluck, a Greater Spotted Woodpecker on one of those wooden cages that surround the roadside trees. Can't have been more than a handful of feet from me and the other traffic.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #2256 on: 19 December, 2011, 07:40:32 pm »
not sure whats going on here, but you get used to the odd pair of Kites doing their thing above us, but last few days we've been inundated with them, this afternoon just before it got dark, about 4 ish 17 of 'em all wheeling & swooping and doing all sorts of acrobatics, I'll have to see if I can get a picture, they're flying in pretty close formation & fairly low as well, I know where there are couple of nest sites in the area so I'm not sure if thats a connection, all come home for christmas ;D

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #2257 on: 20 December, 2011, 12:46:25 pm »
Red kite roost?

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #2258 on: 20 December, 2011, 05:30:35 pm »
Yes - typical kite roosting behaviour.  Nice  :)

« Reply #2259 on: 20 December, 2011, 07:07:51 pm »
At Hollingworth Lake, near Rochdale: maybe a dozen cormorants.  We must be at least 50 miles from the sea.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2260 on: 24 December, 2011, 02:32:03 pm »

Snow drops

Butcher's broom
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2261 on: 24 December, 2011, 02:44:26 pm »
I like those, Wow and remember the connotation for you of the snowdrops.

Cormarants up to a couple of dozen on Hollingworth Lake, which I'm sure you'll know?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2262 on: 26 December, 2011, 12:02:23 am »
Ants in my kitchen 22/12/2011.

« Reply #2263 on: 26 December, 2011, 07:56:15 am »

Yesterday, green woodpecker, longtailed tits and a marsh harrier

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2264 on: 26 December, 2011, 09:49:34 am »
Seen yesterday on the M11. A buzzard. I am so used to seeing kestrels hovering at the edge of the motorway my first thought was what a huge kestrel! (Small/Far away)

Not long ago these seemed to be very uncommon, I used to see them occassionally when visiting my brother in Cornwall, I think there was a sanctuary nearby, but they seem to be extending their range. I saw one in Kent in the summer which upset all of the other birds in the vicinity and caused quite a commotion but I often see them when travelling through Sussex. Or perhaps I am just becoming more observant.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2265 on: 26 December, 2011, 11:28:58 am »
Yesterday, in south London, a cornucopia of delights, including a jay, some pied wagtails (my very favourite bird), and many labours.

Most bizarrely, in amongst several slightly surreal encounters in Nunhead, I saw a bee! :o
Getting there...

« Reply #2266 on: 26 December, 2011, 01:27:54 pm »
A bumble bee on the Japanese Quince in my parents' garden.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2267 on: 27 December, 2011, 05:44:01 pm »
While riding today: a sparrowhawk, a lesser spotted woodpecker and a brace of jays.

And just outside Bethersden, a herd of reindeer in a field. Now sadly unemployed I presume.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2268 on: 28 December, 2011, 04:48:38 pm »
When we were cycling along the sea front in Westcliff, the high tide had forced the turnstones up onto the promenade and two of them had to scurry swiftly off the cycle path to avoid us.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2269 on: 28 December, 2011, 04:50:21 pm »
When we were cycling along the sea front in Westcliff, the high tide had forced the turnstones up onto the promenade and two of them had to scurry swiftly of the cycle path to avoid us.

Your training regime is paying dividends, then?!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2270 on: 29 December, 2011, 10:48:54 am »
Yesterday - muntjac deer ran out in front of me as I was descending a hill into Bourne End.   Surprisingly alert braking saved both rider and deer from injury.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2271 on: 29 December, 2011, 05:09:06 pm »
Dead badger  :(

Loadsa buzzards & geese, 9 seals & a tiny LBJ which I'm fairly sure was a wren.

Oh, and some llamas  :)

« Reply #2272 on: 29 December, 2011, 09:04:47 pm »
Forgot to post this on Tuesday - when I rode to Anglesey Abbey with the local club, saw:

On ride:
Deer - Muntjac & Roe
Notable Birds - Little owl & Lesser spotted woodpecker

Riding out to the start:
Tawny Owl that flew along about 10 metres in front of me for several seconds.
What I thought was a Barn Owl flying in the distance, but on drawing closer, I am pretty sure was a Little Egret.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2273 on: 29 December, 2011, 09:25:25 pm »
Day before yesterday, a large wasp buzzing against the inside of the window. The sunny weather had brought it out of hibernation, so I released it - don't know if it will die of cold now or hibernate again, but if I left it inside it was going to beat itself to death on the glass.

« Reply #2274 on: 29 December, 2011, 10:08:25 pm »
On my way to Hyde Park Corner to meet the Friday Night riders on Thursday Lunchtime, I saw a flash of green as a bird flew across the road at Mitcham Common. 'That's a strange shape' I thought, 'where's it's tail?' Then I realised that it didn't have a long tail, because it wasn't a parakeet, it was a green woodpecker and it had landed on a tree by the road and was woodpecking :D. It was lovely 8)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.