Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018384 times)

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
Re: Seen today
« Reply #2300 on: 09 January, 2012, 02:43:13 pm »
OTOH buzzards used to be exotic and now are a fairly common sight.
I got a quick sighting of what I thought was a Buzzard in a tree on the RHS of the M32 as I drove in to Bristol yesterday.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #2301 on: 09 January, 2012, 06:39:37 pm »
A buzzard over Wick Rocks quarry while three ducks (possibly moorhens but I couldn't tell at that distance) swam in the water below. Then a kestrel flew off from a telephone line near West Littleton and did its wind-jamming for a short time before diving into the field.

What's happened to kestrels? There used to be lots of them round Bristol and Bath area, now they seem quite rare. OTOH buzzards used to be exotic and now are a fairly common sight. Perhaps the buzzards are out-competing the kestrels - except I thought buzzards were more carrion eaters and kestrels catchers of small mice, voles etc?

I've seen kestrels and red kites on occasion over the moors near Kingston Seymour on CTC rides  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2302 on: 09 January, 2012, 07:13:55 pm »
Oddly enough, I've never been to Kingston Seymour but we went past the road to it on Saturday's CTC ride, and I said to someone how I'd like to go there just because the name sounds so appealing. Didn't seen any buzzards or kites that day.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #2303 on: 10 January, 2012, 08:09:15 pm »
Saw a group of Teal and two male Shovellers on the Leg o Mutton reservoir at Barnes.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #2304 on: 12 January, 2012, 05:13:28 pm »
Last night, caught in bike headlights:
A fox crossing the road ahead of us, on the edge of Sonning Common (a village a few miles north of Reading).
A badger ditto, a bit further along the same road.

This afternoon:
A muntjac staring at us in the local cemetery.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2305 on: 12 January, 2012, 05:15:15 pm »
what were you doing in the cemetry?

« Reply #2306 on: 12 January, 2012, 05:26:13 pm »
Going for a walk & picking up some fallen branches for firewood.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2307 on: 14 January, 2012, 11:46:09 pm »
Copied from the Zev Thread, and strictly speaking it was Kim who saw this chap (or chapess) peering through the cat flap speculatively.  I'm very glad that I closed it around sunset.  At the moment, it's propped open during the day, to let Zev get used to using it.  It's still unlocked at night, but unless you've got a programmed in RFID chip (as only Kai and Zev do) you can't get in.

Actually, it is rocket science.

Chris N

« Reply #2308 on: 16 January, 2012, 09:02:31 pm »
Spotted a little owl on the verge a on the way back from work tonight.  First one I've seen and he looked a bit surprised to see me too.  Lovely little thing.

« Reply #2309 on: 18 January, 2012, 12:24:08 am »
A mouse under my desk. Traps have been set.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Chris S

« Reply #2310 on: 18 January, 2012, 04:51:41 pm »
Copied from the Zev Thread, and strictly speaking it was Kim who saw this chap (or chapess) peering through the cat flap speculatively.  I'm very glad that I closed it around sunset.  At the moment, it's propped open during the day, to let Zev get used to using it.  It's still unlocked at night, but unless you've got a programmed in RFID chip (as only Kai and Zev do) you can't get in.

That is one CREEPY picture...

*shudders*

antonela

« Reply #2311 on: 20 January, 2012, 08:26:11 am »
I saw a big big rat in a pile of rubbish on the street, ugh.

« Reply #2312 on: 20 January, 2012, 10:24:35 am »
Yes, rubbish is awful, isn't it!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2313 on: 22 January, 2012, 07:56:33 pm »
Cool! a fox! I think Zev will learn how to use the door fine when you stop leaving it open for her, perhaps. She's just yanking your chain.

We saw a black red sqrl outside our chalet balcony last week, and at 3am today we saw what I think was a barn owl flying up from the other lane of the dual cabbageway we were on. Hope it doesn't carry on doing it's hunting on the black stuff....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
« Reply #2314 on: 22 January, 2012, 08:08:36 pm »
29 bird species on a 200k ride today and not a single finch anywhere to be seen in Monmouthshire, Gloucs, Worcs or Herefordshire. I should report this to the BTO as a finch-only bird flu must have struck these parts ???

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2315 on: 23 January, 2012, 07:57:40 pm »
Plenty of finches in our rowan tree, even without berries! Coal tits, great tits, chaffinches...

« Reply #2316 on: 23 January, 2012, 09:23:28 pm »
A pair of dippers on a rock in the River Tame in Saddleworth, then a barn owl on the way home, while it was still light.  It surprised me to see how pointed the wings are; I've seen lots of them but never noticed this before.

« Reply #2317 on: 23 January, 2012, 09:46:44 pm »
What I think was a marsh harrier from a train window near Ford.

border-rider

« Reply #2318 on: 24 January, 2012, 04:25:18 pm »
A treecreeper, on the old tree outside my office window

An old apple tree was the mouse-like creeper's favoured haunt. Its progress up the gnarled trunk in a series of jerks, spasmodic rather than rapid. Now and then it would made a sideways hop attracted by a promising crevice before pushing its scimitar-shaped bill into the crack and delicately removing its quarry with the needle point. Reaching a branch it would travel outwards beneath it — quite as happy upside down as when ascending.

http://www.birdsofbritain.co.uk/bird-guide/treecreeper.asp

He'd obviously read up on what was expected, as that was *exactly* what he was doing :)

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
« Reply #2319 on: 24 January, 2012, 08:44:22 pm »

Almost certainly a hen harrier this time of year, they get to escape gamekeepers in winter by heading down to the lowlands.

« Reply #2320 on: 27 January, 2012, 10:53:19 pm »

Almost certainly a hen harrier this time of year, they get to escape gamekeepers in winter by heading down to the lowlands.

OK. Thanks

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2321 on: 28 January, 2012, 03:54:11 pm »
Last week, a noisy raven sitting above a shop doorway in Douglas, Isle of Man.  I've never seen one that close except at the Tower of London.  They do not make a pleasant sound.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2322 on: 28 January, 2012, 03:56:45 pm »
Yesterday afternoon driving home on the M40 about 50 red tailed kites milling around together.  You always see some on that section of the M40  but I have never seen such a huge number.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #2323 on: 28 January, 2012, 09:58:22 pm »
A pike eating lunch

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2324 on: 28 January, 2012, 10:01:31 pm »
Great photo. Do you know what sort of fish it was eating?