Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018564 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Seen today
« Reply #2475 on: 30 March, 2012, 07:05:54 pm »
A pair of greater spotted woodpeckers in Priory Park.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #2476 on: 30 March, 2012, 07:14:40 pm »
I saw one Mute Swan mount its mate after a particularly close bit of mutual head bobbing. After what must have been less than ten seconds they parted , faced each other , and rose up out of the water slightly in what I took to be an act of mutual congratulation for a job well done.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2477 on: 30 March, 2012, 08:09:36 pm »
As I passed Carshalton Ponds, the heron took off and flew directly over my head, calling as it did.  Glorious.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2478 on: 30 March, 2012, 08:30:52 pm »
As I passed Carshalton Ponds, the heron took off and flew directly over my head, calling as it did.  Glorious.

You were fortunate.

Mrs. Wow and I were walking in the Doethie Valley ("Where?" I hear you ask, so I'll answer. "Here!") some years ago. It was a 15 mile walk and I think we saw two other people all day. One of them was the postman who just happened to turn up to the Ty'n-y-Cornel youth hostel, which is left open so that passing ramblers can make themselves a cup of tea and put some money in the honesty box. The postmon said something in Welsh and handed me a bundle of letters. I think he thought I was the warden.

However, I digress. Back to herons. At one point we watched one take off and deposit what looked to be about a pint of fishy shit all over a perfectly innocent sheep that was just standing there minding its own business. The sheep looked very startled indeed.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2479 on: 30 March, 2012, 08:34:13 pm »
I was concerned that may happen, but I caught a bit of bird poo on the sleeve of my jacket a couple of weeks back.  Unlikely to happen again soon. 
Getting there...

« Reply #2480 on: 30 March, 2012, 08:50:22 pm »
The herons in Kelsey Park frequently demonstrate the principle of shedding unnecessary weight when getting airborne by dumping great ropes of s**t as they take wing.

In other news, last weekend I spied an orange tip and a brimstone dancing round each other by the side of the Arun as we rolled down to Felpham.

« Reply #2481 on: 30 March, 2012, 08:54:41 pm »
The herons in Kelsey Park frequently demonstrate the principle of shedding unnecessary weight when getting airborne by dumping great ropes of s**t as they take wing.

I'm kind of wishing I hadn't dwelt on that for as long as I did...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #2482 on: 30 March, 2012, 09:04:20 pm »

I'm kind of wishing I hadn't dwelt on that for as long as I did...

I've seen a pigeon do that when it's suddenly realised there's a big heavy car rapidly approaching and it's got to move very quickly to avoid getting squashed.  It really was very scared.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2483 on: 31 March, 2012, 07:20:12 am »
A swan got panicked by me cycling past it at Mistley once and atempted to get airborne. When it finally managed it it pooped on my trike boom!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #2484 on: 31 March, 2012, 12:40:15 pm »
We have acquired a pair of blackbirds. They're in & out of the garden all day, paying particular attention to the bed with a heap of compost (teeming with worms) on it. The female, in particular, is prone to ignore us & concentrate on finding food. She's gobbled up all the sunflower seeds from the birdtable (reminds me: must refill), & found the water dish. Last visit last night was just before dark.

On Thursday I saw what may have been mallard rape. A male was chasing a female around Aylesbury Canal Basin. Eventually, she dived, followed by him, surfacing soon afterwards coupled. Afterwards, he seemed very pleased with himself, her less so.

There were some pretty big carp drifting around the basin just below the surface. My stepfather reckons they're surfacing because the dissolved oxygen levels are low. The canal is currently only open one weekend a month due to the water shortage, so the water flow is much less than usual, & there aren't any boats moving around propelled by stern-mounted aerators.

They had a lot of dead fish there last year when the British Waterways Board decided to dredge in autumn, instead of winter as usual. Stirred up all the anaerobic muck at the bottom & set it decaying aerobically.  :facepalm: Had to stop work & bring in aerators.

[edit]Just came in from the garden, looked out of the window & saw two goldfinches stuffing themselves at one of the bird feeders. That's good. They've been very lightly used recently. The removal of the big buddleia in one of the gardens backing onto mine took away a popular perching point, which birds would use to check out the neighbourhood before feeding, & wait to take their turn at a feeder. Visitors dropped off sharply.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2485 on: 31 March, 2012, 07:07:07 pm »
On this afternoon's ride, no fewer than three green woodpeckers together. There seems to be a good number of these about this year but I don't think I have ever seen so many together before. And later, a jay and a heron.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2486 on: 01 April, 2012, 02:38:49 pm »
Miss Z and I had our twice-a-year 7 mile walk to the top of Liddington Hill and back.  Lots and lots of skylarks, some hovering quite close to us.  A green woodpecker yaffling and trying to hide from us*, a great spotted woodpecker drumming and a very loud songthrush.

*there's a much tamer one closer to home, which hops about on the grass
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2487 on: 01 April, 2012, 03:46:08 pm »
<snip>
 The Cheddar bats are a protected species and I really don't want to harm it.

IIRC ALL bats are protected under UK law, not just the cheesy ones.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2488 on: 01 April, 2012, 06:19:13 pm »
<snip>

I wasn't suggesting that other bats were not! This guy was probably one from the caves though, because of how close we are.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2489 on: 01 April, 2012, 06:29:02 pm »
Out this afternoon, and quite near to home, a lizard scurried across the road in front of me. I have never seen a lizard around these parts, but even more surprising being so early in the year. Also the first butterfly of the year - an orange tip - and later a couple of whites.  They'll all be sorry next week when it snows.

The usual green woodpecker, jay and heron spotted as well.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2490 on: 01 April, 2012, 06:51:31 pm »
<snip>

I wasn't suggesting that other bats were not! This guy was probably one from the caves though, because of how close we are.

My mis-interpreting what you said then.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2491 on: 01 April, 2012, 08:20:13 pm »
A big brown bird.
We were informed it was a hen harrier, and had no reason to doubt the veracity of the statement.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2492 on: 01 April, 2012, 09:45:01 pm »

(not real)

On the top of a church hall.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Seem today
« Reply #2493 on: 02 April, 2012, 10:01:10 am »
Sand martins!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2494 on: 02 April, 2012, 01:08:44 pm »
Slow worm yesterday, while clearing vegetation at the local Scout camp site.  We left that pile of rotting bracken alone after that.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #2495 on: 02 April, 2012, 01:28:02 pm »
I have at least one slow worm living in my compost bin, which makes composting slightly awkward.  They're lovely though, so I don't really mind   :)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2496 on: 02 April, 2012, 02:14:27 pm »
It's always tickled me that the Slow Worm is in fact a legless lizard.

When I win the lottery, I'm going to buy a Pubbe and call it "The Legless Lizard".  Perhaps.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2497 on: 03 April, 2012, 08:32:47 pm »
Interesting dog mobile seen in Munich today.

My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #2498 on: 08 April, 2012, 10:08:12 am »

Well yesterday, barn owls, buzzards (definitely moving in to the fens), hares, hen harrier

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #2499 on: 08 April, 2012, 10:45:00 am »
On holiday in Dumfries & Galloway last week, lots of nuthatches, an osprey, the usual red kites, bluebells starting to flower, alas no red squirrels.  Until recently you could be almost guaranteed of seeing them from the hides at Ken/Dee marshes bu that's our second visit in the last year that has been squirrel-less.  However on this occasion we did have the compensation of a very close up view of a pair of willow tits, the first I've ever seen.
Aero but not dynamic