Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018564 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #2500 on: 08 April, 2012, 06:14:21 pm »
On Smith's Lawn Windsor Park today, there was a red kite flying REALLY low over us for quite some time!  You don't realise just how sodding big they are when they're high up...

metformin

« Reply #2501 on: 08 April, 2012, 06:34:43 pm »
Seen plenty of wildlife this morning must have been due to the drizzle and nobody about. Pair of woodpeckers, a rabbit, hedgehog,  a grey squirrel, pheasants, crows, magpies, wood pigeons, mallard ducks & a moore hen.

andym

• Expat Cyclist
    • AndysRockets
« Reply #2502 on: 08 April, 2012, 11:28:46 pm »
1 Black Woodpecker (seen a few now)
2 Jays (believe it or not, the first ones I've ever seen)
1 bird of prey swooping about 20m in front of me (probably Red Kite, but can't be certain)
1 unidentified sparrow-sized bird creeping on a tree, light brown, pretty well camouflaged in fact, and laid quite flat against the tree. Any ideas?
AndyM

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2503 on: 08 April, 2012, 11:36:40 pm »
We heard a woodpecker this morning before even getting out of the tent.

Later we.saw a.tiny frog on the path, herons, swans, geese, seagulls aplenty, wagtails, what looked like a buzzard, and, most amazingly,.about two hundred seals on the beach near Horsey.  Pics will follow.

Also saw several bats and heard, but not seen, at least two owls.
Getting there...

« Reply #2504 on: 08 April, 2012, 11:49:56 pm »
1 Black Woodpecker (seen a few now)
2 Jays (believe it or not, the first ones I've ever seen)
1 bird of prey swooping about 20m in front of me (probably Red Kite, but can't be certain)
1 unidentified sparrow-sized bird creeping on a tree, light brown, pretty well camouflaged in fact, and laid quite flat against the tree. Any ideas?

Andym, I'm guessing you are in Germany or Eastern Europe, if you've seen a black woodpecker?  The brown bird creeping round the tree is likely to have been a (wait for it) tree-creeper!

andym

• Expat Cyclist
    • AndysRockets
« Reply #2505 on: 09 April, 2012, 12:01:02 am »
Yep Germany.
Did wonder about treecreeper, but it looked different to that on the RSPB identifier.
AndyM

« Reply #2506 on: 09 April, 2012, 09:51:14 pm »
Yep Germany.
Did wonder about treecreeper, but it looked different to that on the RSPB identifier.

Andy, try a wryneck, which is a small woodpecker not much bigger than a sparrow.  I've never been lucky enough to see one, nor expect to in the north of England!

LindaG

« Reply #2507 on: 09 April, 2012, 10:00:21 pm »
A wren  :thumbsup:
Hares  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Bunnies
Sheeps
Baby sheeps
Lapwings
Curlews
Tits
Crows
Horses with jackets on

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2508 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:20:59 am »
Swift.

Seen Saturday 7th April at Trebetherick in Cornwall.

Just the one mind you.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #2509 on: 10 April, 2012, 10:38:56 am »
Hooray!

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #2510 on: 10 April, 2012, 11:08:31 am »
Yesterday I saw two Wrens making a racket and battling it out as they plummeted to the ground. 
They just managed to stop fighting and make a landing behind a pile of bricks where after some more racket one popped back up and, sitting on a brick, sang its heart out before taking off again. 
Not sure where the other one went as it wasn't in the brick pile when I looked.

« Reply #2511 on: 10 April, 2012, 06:56:01 pm »
A hobby plucking and eating a wood pibeon in the field opposite our house, and then on our evening walk 4 hares in various fields.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2512 on: 10 April, 2012, 07:00:22 pm »
Someone reported seeing and hearing a cuckoo today in Great Wakering (6 miles or so from here) on the Southend RSPB website. I shall have to pop down there tomorrow to see if the silly bugger has decided to stay or sod off somewhere a bit warmer.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2513 on: 10 April, 2012, 07:38:06 pm »
Don't know what it was, but it was dark grey with a tail like a bottle brush held stiffly out behind it. Scampering across a little lane near Hullavington, yesterday, on rather short legs. Didn't see its head, which makes identification a bit harder.

Today, honey bees - the first ones I've seen this year, as opposed to bumbles.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LindaG

« Reply #2514 on: 10 April, 2012, 08:57:52 pm »
A SWALLOW

« Reply #2515 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:09:28 pm »
Sunday, in south Reading.

A roe deer, & soon afterwards five cormorants, one with a fish.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2516 on: 10 April, 2012, 09:16:19 pm »
Don't know what it was, but it was dark grey with a tail like a bottle brush held stiffly out behind it. Scampering across a little lane near Hullavington, yesterday, on rather short legs. Didn't see its head, which makes identification a bit harder.

Today, honey bees - the first ones I've seen this year, as opposed to bumbles.

Hate vto say it, but squirrels run like that!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2517 on: 10 April, 2012, 10:08:16 pm »
Yeah, I did think it could be a squirrel - but it looked too dark grey and its tail was kind of 'wiry'.

« Reply #2518 on: 10 April, 2012, 10:37:27 pm »
Some of them are damn near black, & the dark ones are reported to be becoming more common.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2519 on: 10 April, 2012, 11:12:38 pm »
I'd forgotten about the black squirrels. Don't think I've ever seen one - at least till yesterday!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2520 on: 11 April, 2012, 01:58:26 pm »
A SWALLOW

Dun't mek a summer ;D

As for me, well, I saw a deer.  Sort of.

What I actually saw was a movement in a thicket behind a hedge.  Because of our relative movements against the obstructions, I could make out the shape as it put its head up, looked around, then jumped behind some bushes.  It was a wonderful contrast with Richmond Park where I could see loads of deer casually displayed beside the roads, unfazed by the movement and noise.  Much more special to spy something shy and evasive.

Funnily enough, we'd not long passed a chap, riding a bike, who was wearing a deerstalker hat.
Getting there...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2521 on: 11 April, 2012, 02:26:34 pm »
A SWALLOW

Swallows have been reported at Loch of Strathbeg.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2522 on: 11 April, 2012, 02:32:58 pm »
A SWALLOW

Swallows have been reported at Loch of Strathbeg.

Where they European of African swallows? Were they carrying coconut shells?  These are the questions we NEED answering :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2523 on: 11 April, 2012, 06:23:22 pm »
I cycled out to where the cuckoo had been reported yesterday but there was no sign of it. However, I did spend a happy ten minutes or so watching a common lizard - a very pregnant female by the look of her abdominal girth.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2524 on: 11 April, 2012, 07:12:23 pm »
Abdominal Girth.  Good album title - Meat Loaf or Demis Roussos, maybe.