Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1019468 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Seen today
« Reply #2525 on: 12 April, 2012, 01:48:26 pm »
Abdominal Girth.  Good album title - Meat Loaf or Demis Roussos, maybe.

No no no, it was a Scandinavian prog metal band.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2526 on: 12 April, 2012, 06:04:34 pm »
I understand that there are laws which prevent the pruning or lopping of trees in the nesting season.

This is the result of the recognition of those laws by the morons who do such work in Southend.

Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2527 on: 12 April, 2012, 06:51:04 pm »
That's a brilliant image of the silliness of some folk!

Nothing especially springy today, but there are definitely a pair of kestrel nesting at the woods (first time I've recorded them at the woods nesting), as well as two yellowhammers.  Saw the reed bunting again too.  And a wood mouse with an acorn in its mouth.  The bluebells are coming out quite profusely in some parts of the wood, and our two earliest oak trees are coming into leaf - it is always these two first.
Spinning, but not cycling...

« Reply #2528 on: 12 April, 2012, 07:17:07 pm »
Abdominal Girth.  Good album title - Meat Loaf or Demis Roussos, maybe.

No no no, it was a Scandinavian prog metal band.

I think you're mixing them up with Abbaminable Goth.

« Reply #2529 on: 12 April, 2012, 07:54:25 pm »
Bats. Two, separately, last night, while on an evening ride south of Reading.

Mrs B saw two fallow deer near Wokingham today, & there were cormorants on the Thames just above Hungerford Bridge this afternoon.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

seraphina

« Reply #2530 on: 13 April, 2012, 07:09:56 pm »
A weasel scampered across in front of me on my way home from work, across a quiet Cambridgeshire lane  :thumbsup:  As I went past I saw him watching me go by. Have seen both stoats and weasels in that neck of the woods now.

« Reply #2531 on: 13 April, 2012, 10:03:53 pm »
I've noticed they're pretty fearless.  They nearly always turn round and eye you up.  Fortunately, there's not much meat on me!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2532 on: 15 April, 2012, 06:25:37 pm »
Mr. Buzzard (there are three in the village, but one of them is far braver and more inclined to be seen on the ground), sitting in the middle of the cricket pitch.  When he saw us he flew up to sit on one of the football goals.  I often see him on the way to or from work, either sitting in a tree or on a fencepost.  Once I followed him down the road for several hundred yards - he was flying a few feet off the ground, probably looking for things to eat.

They're more impressive than red kites if you see one close up.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #2533 on: 15 April, 2012, 06:38:14 pm »
A Crow buzzing a hawk of some kind to keep it away from it's nest, looked like a dog fight.

« Reply #2534 on: 15 April, 2012, 07:05:10 pm »
We had a buzzard and a kite having a "conversation" mid-air over the fields this morning.  It was quite fascinating...the kite left and the buzzard settled in a tree to keep an eye on its surroundings.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2535 on: 15 April, 2012, 10:14:54 pm »
Yesterday now, but whilst riding round Rutland we spotted a couple with a dog staring at a fence and further investigation revealed a couple of baby Wowbadgers.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2536 on: 16 April, 2012, 09:23:02 am »
There were loads of kites to be seen between Wing and Peterborough.  One swooped very low over us, but obviously decided clarion is not carrion.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2537 on: 16 April, 2012, 09:23:41 am »
There were loads of kites to be seen between Wing and Peterborough.  One swooped very low over us, but obviously decided TGL is not carrion.

Perhaps it couldn't spell and was looking for clarion?

Julan and I spotted a couple of kites on the way to Corby. We saw some corbies as well.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #2538 on: 16 April, 2012, 01:33:39 pm »
The House Martins have arrived :)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2539 on: 16 April, 2012, 02:22:15 pm »
It's happy hour!

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #2540 on: 18 April, 2012, 09:44:09 pm »
Spent an enjoyable couple of minutes observing a pair of Grey Wagtail right on the edge of the 'Leg of Mutton' pond , Lonsdale Rd , Barnes. Never seen a pair together before. Lovely specemins. Was able to compare and contrast the male and female.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #2541 on: 19 April, 2012, 12:53:52 am »
They are beautiful, aren't they ?  We get them in the beck at the end of our road in deepest Rochdale, along with dippers.  I always think of the grey wagtails as yellow and the yellow wagtails as green!

LindaG

« Reply #2542 on: 19 April, 2012, 09:29:38 pm »
Seals. Hares, boxing.  :D
Choughs . Wagtails. Lapwings. Curlews. Llamas . Barnacle  geese . Canada geese. Bunnies . Cormorants .. Sheep. Cows . A beetle . Cowslips . Bluebells . Primroses . Oystercatchers.
Goldfinches

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2543 on: 22 April, 2012, 08:56:19 pm »
A heron taking off from a field just outside Pucklechurch. A pale buzzard flying low over the road in front of me. A dead thrush in the gutter under a parked car. A smallish rat running away from Gardiner Haskins car park. Magnolias, hawthorns, cherry and apple trees, all in blossom. Honeysuckle.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

fuzzy

« Reply #2544 on: 23 April, 2012, 09:46:47 am »
Not today but yesterday-

a flash of brown past the kitchen window followed by a mushroom cloud of down followed by a wood pigeon size bird atop the neighbours shed looking smug.

I thought Sparrowhawk but the colouring looked like a Merlin.

Whatever it was, the Red Baron or Maverick would've been toast :thumbsup:

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2545 on: 23 April, 2012, 10:10:53 am »
Also not today but yesterday…

An Orange Tip.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

andym

• Expat Cyclist
    • AndysRockets
« Reply #2546 on: 27 April, 2012, 07:25:00 pm »
Swifts are back (last year they arrived on 5/4, year before was 30/4)
also
1st cockchafer of the year
3 starlings picking the cockhafers before they even got a chance.
1 black redstart
not heard cuckoos yet, so might head out to forest over the (very long) weekend
AndyM

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2547 on: 27 April, 2012, 08:28:19 pm »
I might have heard a cuckoo yesterday somewhere near West Malling, but it was very windy at the time and the M20 wasn't far away so I was no means certain.

« Reply #2548 on: 28 April, 2012, 07:19:08 pm »
On a walk between High Wycombe and Little Marlow today, our annual bluebell walk, an expert twitcher in the group identified a pair of grey partridges, quite rare apparently, he will be reporting the sighting.

andym

• Expat Cyclist
    • AndysRockets
« Reply #2549 on: 28 April, 2012, 07:35:11 pm »
update:  and today I did hear cuckoos :)  probably 2, one on the way to frankenstein's castle, the other a few km away in a different forest.

saw 2 squirrels. red of course. and lots of mousey vole type things scampering through the undergrowth.
AndyM