Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018552 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #2550 on: 28 April, 2012, 10:01:14 pm »
I heard a cuckoo this afternoon in mid-Warwickshire - 3 calls & then silence. The peace was broken by a woodpigeon, which confirmed that it wasn't a case of mis-identification.

Earlier in the day, I'd stopped to remove a layer of clothing & realised it was under a busy rookery. There was the distinctive sound of a nestling demanding food with the insistent tones of a hungry baby.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2551 on: 29 April, 2012, 06:15:03 pm »
About half a dozen green woodpeckers this afternoon, five seen and one heard. It was mentioned earlier in the year that there seems to be many around this spring. Are they unusually common at the moment?

And a beautiful heron in the pond next to my house, took to the air when it spotted me as I walked round the corner.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2552 on: 29 April, 2012, 08:36:24 pm »
We saw a lamb being born today :D

Warning; photo contains placenta hanging from mummy sheep....
(click to show/hide)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2553 on: 30 April, 2012, 12:23:34 am »
Lovely photo - presume they were triplets, & hope all survived OK...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2554 on: 30 April, 2012, 12:34:05 pm »
Lovely photo - presume they were triplets, & hope all survived OK...

We must have spent about 30 mins watching this lot. The one on the far right is the one which just plopped out when we were there. It was trying to stand up pretty quickly but mainly succeeded in getting covered in more mud! The 2 on the left were up on their wobbly legs and appeared to be in search of milk when we left.

(click to show/hide)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2555 on: 30 April, 2012, 06:34:37 pm »
Watching a rather fine male bullfinch on the sunflower seeds.  The finches (mainly greenfinches) are eating an entire feeder full of sunflower hearts per day at the moment, and it's a big feeder.

The sad news from the local farm is that the winds brought down the tree in which one of the local buzzards (we don't have red kites here...yet) had laid its eggs.  Hopefully it will have another clutch.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2556 on: 01 May, 2012, 08:51:15 pm »
A crow repeatedly flying to the top of, and then sliding down a Velux window in someone's roof.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

fuzzy

« Reply #2557 on: 02 May, 2012, 10:14:24 am »
I became aware yesterday evening the we has bats again at Castle Fuzzy:thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2558 on: 03 May, 2012, 09:38:22 am »
At Mitcham Common, there was a huge squawking flock of the parakeets.  Don't usually see more than about four at a time outside Richmond Park.
Getting there...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2559 on: 03 May, 2012, 01:22:11 pm »
Forgot to mention on Tuesday - first swallows of the year. They seem a bit late.

« Reply #2560 on: 03 May, 2012, 06:39:51 pm »
At Mitcham Common, there was a huge squawking flock of the parakeets.  Don't usually see more than about four at a time outside Richmond Park.
You can find a boat-load of them in Lloyd park.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2561 on: 03 May, 2012, 08:35:08 pm »
Ah.  Never been there.  A boat-load, you say?  Pedalos, or do they row?
Getting there...

« Reply #2562 on: 04 May, 2012, 11:20:25 am »
sail?  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #2563 on: 04 May, 2012, 11:52:31 am »
Distant view of a peregrine. Just a speck. I only knew what it was because I knew where its nest was, & other birds keep well clear.

County Offices building, Aylesbury.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #2564 on: 04 May, 2012, 01:07:04 pm »
Yep Germany.
Did wonder about treecreeper, but it looked different to that on the RSPB identifier.

Andy, try a wryneck, which is a small woodpecker not much bigger than a sparrow.  I've never been lucky enough to see one, nor expect to in the north of England!

I have seen ONE wryneck, just above Westendorf in the Tirol. Andy, your small brown bird...a treecreeper has a very distinctive foraging style, where it zig-zags/creeps up a tree to near the top, then flies down to the base of then next one. Creamy-white underneath, very well cammed above. Not only that, if it was a treecreeper, depending on where in Germany you are, it is quite likely to have been a short-toed treecreeper. Different species; forget trying to tell them apart by sight, but the song is completely different. Munich is full of STTs.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2565 on: 05 May, 2012, 04:56:19 pm »
A magpie chasing a tree rat  :thumbsup:

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2566 on: 05 May, 2012, 06:42:31 pm »
This wee beastie.

Flew into our living room window. I rushed out to get it before the local cats did - one was already running towards the house. When I picked it up it gasped a couple of times and expired.  :(

There's no vibrations, but wait.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2567 on: 07 May, 2012, 08:12:58 am »
Awwwwww!  Poor ickle fing. :(
Getting there...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2568 on: 07 May, 2012, 08:22:38 am »
Sat on the shed roof, enjoying some leftovers from yesterday's BBQ (which we had forgotten to bin), 1 large crow and 3 jackdaws.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2569 on: 07 May, 2012, 11:29:03 am »
Yesterday:
A hare running along the road near Stracathro
Heard a cuckoo in Glen Isla

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #2570 on: 07 May, 2012, 12:15:07 pm »
Thought I heard a GSW at Hillhead this morning....although there were a couple of magpie about, could they be the source?
/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2571 on: 07 May, 2012, 07:39:35 pm »
A carrion crow sitting on the ground eating some... carrion! - a bird of some sort, while thrushes made a chattering in the trees and swooped down to chase it away. Perhaps it was a thrush chick the crow was eating? Crow was mobbed off several times but always returned till there were only feathers left.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2572 on: 08 May, 2012, 11:43:09 am »
Heard today, really.
I've only just noticed that our house martin nests seemed to be occupied at last. 

Where've you been, you naughty birds?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2573 on: 08 May, 2012, 12:37:01 pm »
Swifts! ;D
And also here in SE London, swirling round the Brockley Jack pub on Saturday afternoon.  A fine sight and sound.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2574 on: 08 May, 2012, 12:52:29 pm »
Swifts! ;D
And also here in SE London, swirling round the Brockley Jack pub on Saturday afternoon.  A fine sight and sound.

I've been looking & listening for them, but they haven't been apparent in Furryboottoon, yet.