Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018786 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Seen today
« Reply #2625 on: 24 May, 2012, 09:55:21 am »
Seen last night in Richmond Park: A dark grey fawn.  I watched it for a while as it wandered between some trees, but I couldn't see any other deer with it, so I don't know what species it was.  There are, apparently, red and fallow deer in RP.  It was a bit spotty, so might have been a fallow.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2626 on: 25 May, 2012, 09:52:31 am »
Also seen near Richmond Park.

We were sat on the terrace outside The Roebuck when I spotted a rat which came for a look round our bikes, then disappeared into the hedge again.

First time I went to RP, we went to The Roebuck, but also visited a pub down by the river where, coincidentally, we saw a rat.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2627 on: 25 May, 2012, 11:46:50 am »
In Priory Park there are some oak trunks which, I think, were killed when a stream was diverted some years ago. A few of these trunks have had their boughs removed and one of them, between 30 and 40 feet high, is flat at the top where the chain saw did its work.

This morning there was a bird sitting on the top and at first I thought it was a carrion crow - all I could see in the bright blue was what appeared to be the top of a black head. As my eyes became accustomed to the brightness I realised that a male mallard had found a very lofty perch. He looked quite incongruous.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2628 on: 25 May, 2012, 12:07:28 pm »
Flying over Warwick's Priory Park yesterday I saw a buzzard circling high up in a thermal. Nothing unusual there, as my kids call it rabbit park. I've also seen crows, as in plural, mob buzzards over the same place, but yesterday a brave, lone crow was continually harassing the buzzard who was very persistent in its presence. After 5 minutes of action, I had to go and left them to it.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

fuzzy

« Reply #2629 on: 25 May, 2012, 01:22:36 pm »
Right outside my office window this morning, a grey squirrel was pruning leaf bearing twigs and then building a dray (or whatever a tree rat nest is called) in the fork of some branches a couple of feet deeper in the tree.

As I watched, the Mission Impossible music became an ear worm ;D

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2630 on: 25 May, 2012, 01:32:15 pm »
In Perth today, a thrush. I can't remember the last time I saw one.

« Reply #2631 on: 25 May, 2012, 02:17:06 pm »
The last but one time I saw a thrush, it flew, kamikaze-style, right into my motorbike helmet as I rode along a leafy lane in Warwickshire. Right sad, I was...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #2632 on: 25 May, 2012, 11:12:17 pm »

« Reply #2633 on: 26 May, 2012, 10:09:52 am »
In Priory Park there are some oak trunks which, I think, were killed when a stream was diverted some years ago. A few of these trunks have had their boughs removed and one of them, between 30 and 40 feet high, is flat at the top where the chain saw did its work.

This morning there was a bird sitting on the top and at first I thought it was a carrion crow - all I could see in the bright blue was what appeared to be the top of a black head. As my eyes became accustomed to the brightness I realised that a male mallard had found a very lofty perch. He looked quite incongruous.
You would imagine, from their normal landing technique, that a duck would find it very hard to land in a tree.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2634 on: 26 May, 2012, 08:40:06 pm »
I think I just saw a sparrowhawk whizzing through the back gardens.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2635 on: 26 May, 2012, 08:46:24 pm »
Last night up at our local Scout campsite, a fawn. Really tiny, laying still in the bracken. Only about the size of a large cat. I guess its mum was nearby.

I made my excuses and left.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #2636 on: 26 May, 2012, 10:13:35 pm »
A couple of albino baby rabbits at the sailing club. I might try and get a pic of them tomorrow.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2637 on: 26 May, 2012, 10:15:00 pm »
Earwigs.  Lots of earwigs.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2638 on: 27 May, 2012, 06:07:47 pm »
On today's run saw a buzzard, a green woodpecker and a weasel; and heard a cuckoo - the first this year! Actually, the first for some years.

« Reply #2639 on: 27 May, 2012, 06:23:28 pm »
a pitbull-cross type dog, trotting quite happily down the side of the road carrying a teddybear.  No people anywhere nearby, presumably it'd killed them and made off with the cuddly toy. We left, at speed.

« Reply #2640 on: 27 May, 2012, 08:48:22 pm »
you been camping again kim?  :D :D
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2641 on: 27 May, 2012, 09:09:56 pm »
Two small black birds with white stripes - possibly wagtails? What was remarkable was how they dived down right in front of my wheel and flew off as if one was chasing the other. Unless it was a courtship ritual but presumably a bit late in the year for that?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2642 on: 27 May, 2012, 11:19:32 pm »
Wren fledglings & mum shouting a us.

I saw more wrens today than I've seen in my life in total to date.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2643 on: 28 May, 2012, 01:16:29 am »
you been camping again kim?  :D :D

Worse:  gardening.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2644 on: 28 May, 2012, 06:38:24 am »
I had to evict an earwig from the (zipped closed) side pocket of my rack pack on Saturday.  And two not_small black beetles from my breakfast bowl, which I had left (washed up, natch) in my tent porch yesterday morning.

I thought of you, Kim!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2645 on: 28 May, 2012, 08:08:56 am »
I had to evict an earwig from the (zipped closed) side pocket of my rack pack on Saturday.  And two not_small black beetles from my breakfast bowl, which I had left (washed up, natch) in my tent porch yesterday morning.

I thought of you, Kim!

protein

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2646 on: 28 May, 2012, 01:15:53 pm »
That's what I tell myself when insects fly down my throat. Some of them have an interesting texture, but there's not much taste to them.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2647 on: 28 May, 2012, 01:55:32 pm »
Can't comment on texture 'cause I don't chew,just swallow.

« Reply #2648 on: 29 May, 2012, 09:49:33 pm »
Buzzards beside the M4 in West Berkshire & Wiltshire this afternoon. Coming home from Swindon this evening, a buzzard sitting on a fencepost eating something, flanked by two magpies on the posts on each side, hungrily watching it eat.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2649 on: 01 June, 2012, 07:22:04 am »
A Heron early this morning 0530 by the pond near Kingsweston House, Napier Mills Road to be exact.