Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018227 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #2650 on: 02 June, 2012, 04:54:00 pm »
Flattened fauna:
One fox - well matured, nice & leathery, but still identifiable.
A rabbit & a hedgehog - relatively fresh.

On our ride today (getting it in before the wet weather): skylarks, greenfinches, kites, a heron, robins, a stupid wagtail that flew in front of Mrs B for at least a hundred yards before realising it should veer off to the side, a newly independent blackbird (immature plumage) rummaging around in a pub garden & the usual hordes of small brown birds.

Our local blackbird has found the gap at the bottom of the compost bin, & now mines it for worms. He's also realised that the patches of new grass seed are easy to dig up, seeking edible invertebrates. Little feathered bastard. If he didn't sing so nicely I'd be seriously pissed off.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2651 on: 02 June, 2012, 06:57:14 pm »
Red Squirrel crossing the road in front of me & Mrs Ernst Pottering for Tea. She also saw a stoat but I was only half way up the hill so missed it.
Red Squirrel. That's only the second time in my life.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2652 on: 03 June, 2012, 02:32:32 pm »
Red Squirrel crossing the road in front of me & Mrs Ernst Pottering for Tea. She also saw a stoat but I was only half way up the hill so missed it.

http://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/what-we-do/scotlands-red-squirrels/squirrel-sightings/

LindaG

« Reply #2653 on: 03 June, 2012, 03:42:46 pm »
The other day we saw a school of harbour porpoises when we were on the ferry from Iona.  We also saw sea eagles and seals.  No otters, unfortunately.

« Reply #2654 on: 04 June, 2012, 07:16:45 am »
Quote from: fboab on Yesterday at 06:57:14 PM

http://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/what-we-do/scotlands-red-squirrels/squirrel-sightings/
Duly reported.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2655 on: 04 June, 2012, 06:56:15 pm »
A roe deer in Syd's Copse (Coate Water country park).  We stared at it for about 5 minutes and it stared back, from 10 yards away.  It could have been stuffed, except that it occasionally twitched an ear.  We left it still standing there.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2656 on: 05 June, 2012, 12:13:18 am »
A kestrel hovering above the road, it then dived into a watery roadside ditch. I stopped to see what it had caught, but it flew off empty-taloned. I hope that was only cos it missed and it hadn't been scared off by my screeching to a halt.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2657 on: 05 June, 2012, 07:12:03 pm »
Two spotted woodpeckers having what appeared to be a bit of a puch-up. The usual several green woodpeckers and a barn owl - flying in broad daylight - beautiful.

« Reply #2658 on: 05 June, 2012, 08:54:50 pm »
Missed by me (I was in the shower), but Mrs B reports seeing a rather bedraggled jay in our back garden, where we've never previously seen one. It did not seem happy about the rain.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2659 on: 07 June, 2012, 07:14:24 pm »
YH, those are beautiful.  Is that lavender?  I'm not used to seeing it at that magnification!

« Reply #2660 on: 07 June, 2012, 11:40:00 pm »
Whatever!  They're beautiful photographs, well done.

« Reply #2661 on: 08 June, 2012, 12:29:57 am »
Those damselflies seem to have smiley faces, they are great pictures  ;D

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2662 on: 09 June, 2012, 06:30:17 pm »
Packing up acres of tentage this morning, I asked one the Young people to move the remains of the woodpile.

He pointed at it and asked "what's that?"  I told him it was a wood pile. "No, that"

(click to show/hide)

I'm presuming it's a ferret. It seemed very tame and unafraid of us humans. After ferreting (obv.) around in a couple of tents, it was caught in a t shirt and carried over to the trees and released.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2663 on: 09 June, 2012, 06:55:55 pm »
A golden eagle near Uig, Lewis.

There are lots of rabbits about, but no foxes on the island. I would imagine that rabbit is the eagle's staple diet.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2664 on: 09 June, 2012, 07:32:52 pm »
Garden Tiger moth(s). Not sure if I've seen one a few times, or a few once each, sunning on the pavement/road in our street.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2665 on: 10 June, 2012, 05:03:04 pm »
Peregrine falcon over Three Bridges station as we returned from a tandem club ride. Identified not by me, but by Some One Who Knows.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

fuzzy

« Reply #2666 on: 10 June, 2012, 07:48:56 pm »
I have been trying for ages to get a decent image of a Red Kite.

I'm getting there slowly (framing is crap though)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2667 on: 10 June, 2012, 08:25:44 pm »
Lots of stuff. Most notably, three golden eagles and a golden plover.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2668 on: 10 June, 2012, 08:55:11 pm »
Buzzards x lots (pretty close too, sat right outside my brothers house), larks. Also in his gdn, a jay & a red sqrl :D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2669 on: 11 June, 2012, 08:32:15 am »
Yesterday morning, another daylight barn owl: ghosting through the coppices that border the roads around Smarden.

fuzzy

« Reply #2670 on: 11 June, 2012, 11:11:22 am »
I'm getting there slowly (framing is crap though)

I dunno, I really like that! :thumbsup:

Too kind  :)

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
« Reply #2671 on: 11 June, 2012, 07:32:09 pm »
Marsh&Small pearl-bordered fritillary butterflies x not enough, redstarts x plenty

« Reply #2672 on: 11 June, 2012, 11:14:54 pm »
Not today, but Saturday while driving to Norrtälje for my uncle's birthday doohickey, I spotted 2 hares and in the archipelago itself, a sparvhök (probably translated sparrowhawk, but this is a guess...accipiter nisus).  I haven't seen the bird of prey before, so i was quite excited  :)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2673 on: 12 June, 2012, 10:48:00 am »
Yes, that is a sparrow hawk. I remember seeing them in Poland, identifying it with a guide book and the Polish name gave no clues whatsoever to the English so had to work through the Latin.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2674 on: 14 June, 2012, 01:22:05 am »
Swifts are building a nest in my horse's stable, above the light fitting.  I'd be concerned, as my horse is a nosy bugger who tends to chew on pretty much everything, but the light fitting was deliberately put up with a sheet of plywood above it to keep nosy errr noses out as this isn't the first year we've had swifts in the stables!  :)

I also heard something while cycling home this evening.  It was well after dark (11:45), so whatever it was must've been nocturnal.  But it sounded most like one of my dog's chew toys, or perhaps a glove puppet!  I was riding alongside Black Park, so it's unlikely to have actually been a chew toy...it was reasonably rhythmical, two squeaks and then silence for 30 seconds or so, then two squeaks again, and so on.