Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018330 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #2900 on: 22 October, 2012, 10:19:44 am »
we saw a very athletic badger prancing across the path we were on the other night - not one of the usual lumbering heavy-looking beasts, but a lithe and agile version

location approx 50.641732, -2.344809

« Reply #2901 on: 23 October, 2012, 01:54:32 pm »
A newt on our garden path. It was brown with a lovely pink chin.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2902 on: 23 October, 2012, 11:41:37 pm »
Magpie repeatedly picking up cat poop from our lawn and flying off with it: it cleared the pile up nicely.

But why???  ???

Probably to drop it through the letter box of someone it doesn't like.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2903 on: 24 October, 2012, 12:29:11 pm »
A wren climbing on a bush with bright orange berries in the garden, early this morning.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LindaG

« Reply #2904 on: 24 October, 2012, 12:37:35 pm »
A wren climbing on a bush with bright orange berries in the garden, early this morning.

Painted a perfect Autumn picture for us there Cudzo:)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2905 on: 24 October, 2012, 12:39:16 pm »
Thanks. I wish I knew the name of the bush!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2906 on: 24 October, 2012, 01:22:33 pm »
Bright orange berries? Does it have HUGE thorns (some upto 6" long)? If so it's Pyrocanthus.  Great for stopping burglars but bugger all use for anything else....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #2907 on: 24 October, 2012, 01:32:47 pm »
Magpie repeatedly picking up cat poop from our lawn and flying off with it: it cleared the pile up nicely.

But why???  ???

That sounds strange , though I have seen Jackdaws picking the best bits out of dog turds.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

LindaG

« Reply #2908 on: 25 October, 2012, 11:08:20 am »
Ten gazillion BFO spiders in my house.  The size of horses some of 'em.  And there's one busy abseiling down the full height of this room, then climbing back up again, then coming back down.  It knows when I'm watching it because it stops in its tracks till I stop looking.  This thing has INTELLIGENCE.

It seems a shame to hoover them up. 

No it doesn't.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #2909 on: 25 October, 2012, 11:44:06 am »
Shirley you just need a bigger spider??

Not today, but last week (Mull):  lots of eagles (golden and white-tailed); peregrine; merlin; hen harrier; great nothern diver; whooper swan; otter ...

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #2910 on: 30 October, 2012, 06:18:41 pm »
Just seen thousands of starlings coming down to roost on the reed beds at Snape Maltings.

Before that , eight Snow Bunting on the beach at Minsmere , and a couple of Swallows ! flying over the beach.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2911 on: 03 November, 2012, 01:19:29 pm »
Just been watching two pairs of magpies having a really vicious set-to.

« Reply #2912 on: 03 November, 2012, 02:56:48 pm »
Seventy or so geese in V formation flying over the house this morning.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2913 on: 05 November, 2012, 12:49:04 am »
A barn owl fluttering silently across the lane ahead of me at dusk.

« Reply #2914 on: 06 November, 2012, 01:57:46 pm »
Not today, but recently: a long-tailed tit in a kitchen.  I already knew they were small things, but when one of these things is only a foot away, you wonder how they survive the winter.  As soon as I got a window slightly open, it shot out at considerable speed.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2915 on: 06 November, 2012, 02:02:21 pm »
Well done on getting it out safely.  Birds can panic in confined spaces, and injure themselves.
Getting there...

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #2916 on: 08 November, 2012, 01:38:54 pm »
Waxwings.  About 40 behind Lidl on Dalry Rd.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2917 on: 09 November, 2012, 10:48:28 pm »
Not today, but recently: a long-tailed tit in a kitchen.  I already knew they were small things, but when one of these things is only a foot away, you wonder how they survive the winter.  As soon as I got a window slightly open, it shot out at considerable speed.

Long tailed tits are scarcely any heavier that goldcrests, Britain's smallest bird. Their long tails give the impression of making them seem bigger. They can often be seen with goldcrests in flocks. Their feeding habits are very similar - constantly searching in crevices in bark for tiny insects, spiders etc.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2918 on: 12 November, 2012, 12:05:12 pm »
An unusually large numer of jays in Hockley Woods this morning.

« Reply #2919 on: 12 November, 2012, 04:01:32 pm »
Long tailed tits are scarcely any heavier that goldcrests, Britain's smallest bird. Their long tails give the impression of making them seem bigger. They can often be seen with goldcrests in flocks. Their feeding habits are very similar - constantly searching in crevices in bark for tiny insects, spiders etc.

Indeed - we once had an invasion of LTTs on a hydrangea just outside our french windows.  There were about a dozen of the little blighters hopping around on a very small shrub, clearly having a feeding frenzy.  After they'd gone, I went to investigate what they'd been up to, and found that we had a scale insect infestation.  I invited the LTTs to return whenever they felt like it but I've not seen them there again.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2920 on: 16 November, 2012, 09:55:48 am »
Yesterday, actually.  A very grey looking fox sat in the car park at work.  I noticed it was rather pink in places, and, when it noticed me and looked up, I could see that it had been, literally, licking its wounds.  Seems to have been in a very serious fight.
Getting there...

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2921 on: 17 November, 2012, 06:42:53 pm »
Couple of bullfinches & a possible fieldfare. Ubiquitous buzzards.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2922 on: 25 November, 2012, 05:44:47 pm »
Today, lots of jays - about half a dozen at various points on my two-hour ride. And a good look at a buzzard - I have caught a couple of glimpses of them over the last year or so here in Kent but this is the first opportunity that I have had to actually pull over to the side of the road and watch one.

And a strange thing - in a field a couple of miles up the road from me two or three dead sheep. Definitely dead as the magpies were having a good go at the corpses. I didn't go into the field to investigate but I don't think I have seen such a thing before. We have had a lot of wind and rain over the last couple of days, but sheep are generally pretty hardy aren't they? Were they wussy Southern sheep? Were they struck by lightning? (Not that I have noticed any recently). Dogs? Those pesky pumas? The Essex Lion? Any ideas?

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2923 on: 26 November, 2012, 04:09:30 pm »
A diver (Great Northern we think) in the harbour  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2924 on: 26 November, 2012, 04:14:41 pm »
On Thursday, I was in a meeting near Old Kent Road.  Through the window, I thought I saw an owl.  Then it took off, and flew away, and I could clearly see it's strigiforme form.  Most unexpected.  I notice that I wrote the word 'owl' in the margin of my notes, so I can time it to about 1330.
Getting there...