Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018368 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #2925 on: 26 November, 2012, 04:40:58 pm »
On Thursday, I was in a meeting near Old Kent Road.  Through the window, I thought I saw an owl.  Then it took off, and flew away, and I could clearly see it's strigiforme form.  Most unexpected.  I notice that I wrote the word 'owl' in the margin of my notes, so I can time it to about 1330.

Owls are SO fabby.  We have been seeing a barn owl quite regularly patrolling the margins of our wood during the daytime for the last few weeks.  Saw it again yesterday.  Such a wonderful bird.
Spinning, but not cycling...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2926 on: 26 November, 2012, 10:08:57 pm »
On Thursday, I was in a meeting near Old Kent Road.  Through the window, I thought I saw an owl.  Then it took off, and flew away, and I could clearly see it's strigiforme form.  Most unexpected.  I notice that I wrote the word 'owl' in the margin of my notes, so I can time it to about 1330.
Possibly a little owl?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2927 on: 26 November, 2012, 10:12:33 pm »
A diver (Great Northern we think) in the harbour  :thumbsup:
Great Northern?
 8)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2928 on: 27 November, 2012, 11:27:37 am »
For the second time this week, a flock of long-tailed tits which also contained some goldcrests. LTTs are noisy buggers - easy to hear, harder to see.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2929 on: 27 November, 2012, 02:04:10 pm »
For the second time this week, a flock of long-tailed tits which also contained some goldcrests. LTTs are noisy buggers - easy to hear, harder to see.
Got some on my bush (outside the window at work)

Seen today
« Reply #2930 on: 27 November, 2012, 05:23:19 pm »
Saw this killing machine in the garden today.

Sparrowhawk by  DJB (Thanks for your comments!), on Flickr
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

COG

« Reply #2931 on: 28 November, 2012, 12:38:08 am »
By Morecambe Bay, Whooper swans, several.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2932 on: 28 November, 2012, 11:00:45 am »
Got some on my bush (outside the window at work)

Boabacca has tits in her bush.  :D

We saw some more this morning in Priory Park. Good view of a couple of goldcrests.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #2933 on: 28 November, 2012, 02:54:49 pm »
Very unusual this far East: from my armchair, passing over the flat and being mobbed by jackdaws, I saw a common buzzard.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2934 on: 28 November, 2012, 06:16:34 pm »
Very unusual this far East: from my armchair, passing over the flat and being mobbed by jackdaws, I saw a common buzzard.

The first time I saw a buzzard in Essex must have been about 10 years ago. Since then, I've seen them increasingly frequently. One took up residence in Paglesham about 8 years ago and spent the winter there: a couple of times when we took the )then juvenile and quite defiant) dog along the sea wall it was quite a battle to stop him crunching on the decaying corpses of the wading birds which I assumed were the work of the buzzard.

In July, whilst I was on the BHF London to Southend ride, I spent about 10 minutes near Navestock Side watching a red kite.

fuzzy

« Reply #2935 on: 28 November, 2012, 08:53:31 pm »

Cracking photo bumper :thumbsup:

I can almost hear the prey (Starling?) crying out.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2936 on: 30 November, 2012, 02:15:26 pm »
A stoat in Aberdeen  :thumbsup:

Seen today
« Reply #2937 on: 02 December, 2012, 01:58:05 pm »

Cracking photo bumper :thumbsup:

I can almost hear the prey (Starling?) crying out.

Thank you.

The Starling was screaming!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #2938 on: 02 December, 2012, 03:47:53 pm »

Dogfish at Southwold.

Still, he could have ended up like this:

« Reply #2939 on: 02 December, 2012, 08:54:16 pm »
Sparrowhawk perched on wires. I pointed it out to Mrs B, & it took offence at being pointed at & flew to a nearby tree.

Usual horde of kites, especially at Nuffield.

Mrs B spotted a herd of animals in a field: fallow deer! At least 20 of 'em. I've seen herds of them before round here, but not often. We stopped to look, & talked about them. There was pricking up of ears & movement to the far edge of the field, where they stopped.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #2940 on: 04 December, 2012, 04:05:10 pm »
A big cock pheasant on our roof.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #2941 on: 06 December, 2012, 10:53:22 am »
Yesterday actually , but I live life at a gentle pace these days , I saw what looked like a Woodcock flying over my garden. Most unusual , but it had the right shape , size , long beak. Was flying fast and dropped like a stone into the garden next door. Before I could get a better look it was back up in the air and flying back from whence it had come.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #2942 on: 06 December, 2012, 11:17:56 am »
I get visits from a badger and a fox almost every night (not together, mind).

I put food on my patio and they come and gobble it up. Very interesting to watch (I have pictures somewhere).

The badger's favourite is peanut butter and honey sarnies  :thumbsup:.  But he eats pretty much everything we give him.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2943 on: 08 December, 2012, 10:57:16 pm »
I saw two buzzards today.  Both near Horsham, but in different woods.  One rose up from the roadside as I approached, and spread its wings beautifully.

There was a pretty jay as well, near Loxford.  And a whole hedgeful of chaffinches chattering.

There was one bird I wasn't sure of - a fat thing, with a ruddy breast, which seemed to rattle as it flapped.
Getting there...

« Reply #2944 on: 08 December, 2012, 11:45:25 pm »
Bullfinch?

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2945 on: 09 December, 2012, 06:10:17 pm »
Today, kestrels, a sparrowhawk, green woodpeckers, phesants, partridge and when I stopped to unwrap a sweet in the wilds between High Halden and Bethersden, I spotted through the hedge a pair of black swans that were a little put out by my presence although not particularly wary of me. They were by a large pond and I assume were ornamental fowl from the nearby farmhouse. But I have never seen them outside large collections or zoos before.

Chris S

« Reply #2946 on: 09 December, 2012, 08:59:48 pm »
We were entertained by a Kestrel near Grafham Water today. It very much wanted to land on something, but was being blown about all over the place by the gusty wind.

Two failures to land on telegraph poles (we thought that was quite ambitious, given the conditions) and a possible failed attempt at landing in a tree.

I lost sight of it, having to concentrate on the riding, but boab says it went off into a wood - probably to try and find some shelter and a smoother landing.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2947 on: 09 December, 2012, 09:05:29 pm »
A barn owl in some trees just east of Grittleton yesterday at dusk.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2948 on: 09 December, 2012, 10:42:25 pm »
Bullfinch?

I should have said - it was about game bird sized.
Getting there...

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #2949 on: 09 December, 2012, 10:46:35 pm »
Couldn't go out on Bike today, cough cough (man Flu of course)
Saw my lovely Granddaughter instead, does that count?