Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018962 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #2975 on: 02 January, 2013, 10:33:21 am »
They are now regularly seen in Sunningdale now as well. It shouldn't take them long to reach the north downs in surrey now. :thumbsup:

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2976 on: 02 January, 2013, 05:27:55 pm »
I saw a brace at close quarters this morning near Mortimer, south of Reading.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2977 on: 02 January, 2013, 07:13:52 pm »
Meanwhile, buzzards seem to be flourishing in Essex. We saw three in quick succession, the last of them from close range as it was perched in a tree. It flew off as we approached, but only as far as another tree, where it remained as we went past.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2978 on: 02 January, 2013, 10:54:27 pm »
They are now regularly seen in Sunningdale now as well. It shouldn't take them long to reach the north downs in surrey now. :thumbsup:
They appear to have got further than that already
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2979 on: 02 January, 2013, 11:32:12 pm »
I spent a very happy 10 minutes watching a kite in Essex in July. I was on the London-Southend bike ride at the time.

« Reply #2980 on: 03 January, 2013, 09:07:08 am »
They appear to have got further than that already

The thing is they are now getting common enough in S'dale that they hardly warrent a mention. Yet 20 years ago when on a school residential trip to mid wales one of the minibusses was stopped at the side of the road so that this rare bird could be pointed out to the bunch of year 7s in the back.

« Reply #2981 on: 03 January, 2013, 08:48:17 pm »
Swans on a 'lake' in a field.
I remember reading (a long time ago) a short story about a swan who was stuck, as they can't take off except on water, and it takes a fair stretch- 200 feet, maybe? My memory is rubbish, but I was reminded when I saw this pair today, and worried for them.

There are hundreds of pairs of them on the Somerset levels in fields of varying flooded-ness (more so this year than ever before probably) and they seem to do fine there (not withstanding idiots shooting them like happened one year) despite not having long landing strips of water for take off normally. I suspect they will be fine!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2982 on: 05 January, 2013, 06:41:38 pm »

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2983 on: 05 January, 2013, 06:54:09 pm »
Also loads of geese, some buzzards and (quite rare these days) a kestrel.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2984 on: 05 January, 2013, 10:56:35 pm »
Heard but not seen, a tawny owl, or quite possibly more than one.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2985 on: 05 January, 2013, 11:11:27 pm »
Forgot about the baker's dozen of seals lounging at Bridge of Don.

« Reply #2986 on: 07 January, 2013, 10:59:49 am »
Swans on a 'lake' in a field.
I remember reading (a long time ago) a short story about a swan who was stuck, as they can't take off except on water, and it takes a fair stretch- 200 feet, maybe? My memory is rubbish, but I was reminded when I saw this pair today, and worried for them.

Can swans take off from land?

Yes, but they need at least 30 yards to become airborne and the same again to reach a safe height to clear surrounding obstructions such as houses.

So, in such circumstances, they should be fine.

Your memory about distance sounds about right, that reference is suggesting a clear 180 feet to fully take off (so 200 feet is within reasonable error bounds ie 10%).
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #2987 on: 07 January, 2013, 01:02:12 pm »
It appears that the Stokenchurch Red Kite breeding programme has spread it's wings as far as Newbury  :thumbsup:

They are certainly commonplace around Overton and Whitchurch, which is not that far away.  We went to the Hawk conservancy place outside Andover in September, and the resident black kites doing a display for the visitors were being hassled by native red kites, several of them at a time.

I notice they didn't harass the bald eagle when he was flying around, though  ;D

This was during the visit when I got smacked on the head by a vulture... a most disconcerting experience!
Wombat

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2988 on: 07 January, 2013, 01:05:00 pm »
When we were there the local buzzards chased the bald eagle off and somewhat delayed its display.  The only problem with red kites is that they tend to displace the buzzards and I like buzzards.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #2989 on: 07 January, 2013, 01:59:35 pm »
Just had my first ever sighting of Waxwings. They have been at South Ealing station for best part of a week. I counted eight but there are reputed to be ten.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2990 on: 12 January, 2013, 11:19:24 am »
A male hen harrier, Wallasea Island causeway near Lion Wharf, and a green woodpecker near the Shepherd & Dog pub, Ballards Gore.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2991 on: 12 January, 2013, 03:11:24 pm »
Today, the first red squirrel I have ever seen outside of a forest park. It was a huge one as well. And a bit further up the track a dead raptor, possibly a buzzard.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #2992 on: 12 January, 2013, 05:19:47 pm »
Vectra in the middle of a farmers field but as much as I looked at the skid marks I couldn't work out how it managed it

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2993 on: 13 January, 2013, 05:53:03 pm »
Jay, several Green Woodpeckers and a large unidentified falcon, perhaps that which I took for a Peregrine Falcon the other week.

And a pair of muddied, sodden trainers left neatly by the side of the road. Presumably forgotten after sitting on the car boot sill and changing into driving shoes.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #2994 on: 13 January, 2013, 06:10:33 pm »
A green and yellow budgie dead in the road - looked fresh - poor little thing.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2995 on: 13 January, 2013, 07:21:25 pm »
A buzzard, a couple of kestrels and, on my brother's bird feeder, a flock of redpoll and goldfinches.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2996 on: 13 January, 2013, 08:34:59 pm »
We had ~30 goldfinches this morning.

« Reply #2997 on: 13 January, 2013, 10:29:38 pm »
Yesterday and today, a field full of fieldfare :D I heard an owl in the middle of the night on a trip to the loo block, but I didn't see it.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2998 on: 14 January, 2013, 09:54:49 am »
I saw an owl on Friday night, heading to the campsite :smug:

We also heard a woodpecker in the trees close by the tent.

And saw a pair of swans flying over very low in close formation, checking out the fishing lake (I think).  I couldn't say if the two we saw later swimming on the water were the same ones.
Getting there...

LindaG

« Reply #2999 on: 14 January, 2013, 11:01:11 am »
I saw an owl on Friday night, heading to the campsite :smug:

We also heard a woodpecker in the trees close by the tent.

And saw a pair of swans flying over very low in close formation, checking out the fishing lake (I think).  I couldn't say if the two we saw later swimming on the water were the same ones.

Swans flying is proof of the beautiful, unlikely absurdity of life itself I always think.  You can't see them and not watch.