Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018768 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #3000 on: 14 January, 2013, 11:06:20 am »
Vectra in the middle of a farmers field but as much as I looked at the skid marks I couldn't work out how it managed it

Driving by the seat of his pants?  :demon:

« Reply #3001 on: 16 January, 2013, 12:29:51 pm »
A forlorn blackbird trying to dig up something edible from the frozen ground.

I put some sunflower seeds down, in the hope he'd find them.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #3002 on: 16 January, 2013, 03:32:23 pm »
Good man.  We put out oily bread, too, in this weather.  It should be ok until they are breeding.  Don't want them stuffing their chicks with it!

« Reply #3003 on: 16 January, 2013, 04:40:25 pm »
Mr Blackbird came back with Mrs Blackbird, & they guzzled the lot!

I put out some more. I have a bird feeder, but it's no good for blackbirds.

Oily bread sounds like a good idea. Calorie rich. I have a stale bread roll with sunflower seeds. Break it up? How oily?

[Edit]Just remembered that I have some lard. That won't run out of the bread.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #3004 on: 16 January, 2013, 05:19:22 pm »
We dice some cheap bread and sprinkle sunflower oil over it and stir it up.  We make a bowl of it and put it out two or three times a day.  I should imagine you could just dice the lard, too but don't put it where you might walk!

Peter

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3005 on: 16 January, 2013, 10:42:39 pm »
They like apples & pears too. Cut them in half & place flesh side up on the ground.

« Reply #3006 on: 17 January, 2013, 11:30:15 am »
They currently have most of a nectarine. Mrs B threw it out when she found it was going mouldy where bruised.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3007 on: 17 January, 2013, 12:51:39 pm »
And we put some old salami pizza out at night. Usually it's gone by morning to a fox, cats, birds and slugs, but not this time. Perhaps they only like pepperoni.

In the actually seen news - a bumble bee, crawling groggily across the pavement of a busy road. What could have woken it up at this time of year, in these temperatures?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3008 on: 17 January, 2013, 01:17:22 pm »
The scent of salami pizza?

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3009 on: 17 January, 2013, 01:17:54 pm »
They currently have most of a nectarine. Mrs B threw it out when she found it was going mouldy where bruised.

Do they eat citrus, then?

« Reply #3010 on: 17 January, 2013, 02:00:18 pm »
Citrus? Not that I know of, but I'm pretty sure they eat plums & cherries, so should like nectarines.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3011 on: 17 January, 2013, 04:10:37 pm »
Citrus? Not that I know of, but I'm pretty sure they eat plums & cherries, so should like nectarines.

I read nectarine, my brain pictured satsuma. WTF, brain  ???

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #3012 on: 17 January, 2013, 04:54:11 pm »

I read nectarine, my brain pictured satsuma. WTF, brain  ???

Seasons?

« Reply #3013 on: 18 January, 2013, 10:04:53 am »
Went outside to uncover the fat-soaked bread I put down yesterday, & disturbed a blackbird with its feathers fluffed up, which had found it (or remembered its location) despite the covering of snow.

Given the choice of fat-soaked bread & nectarine, they prefer fat-soaked bread. At least, when it's freezing out.

« Reply #3014 on: 18 January, 2013, 10:41:53 am »
I have a very sweet little robin that comes every day. I've put out fatballs from the pound shop, and melted the ice in the birdbath.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3015 on: 18 January, 2013, 11:04:13 am »
I saw an owl on Friday night, heading to the campsite :smug:

That'll be Mrs T's owl, coming to see you :)  We've not seen it in a while, so it must have been heading South!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3016 on: 18 January, 2013, 11:11:13 am »
Maybe ;)

I was very lucky to spot it.  I had a headtorch on to read the map, and caught a movement in my peripheral vision.  I swung my head round, and spotlit the owl, swooping silently along.  Amazing.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3017 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:58:56 pm »
The pizza-eating fox has just been round for its supper.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3018 on: 19 January, 2013, 05:42:18 pm »

Fieldfares and redwings in the garden mixing it with the blackbirds.
Also hares in the local fields

« Reply #3019 on: 20 January, 2013, 06:31:03 pm »
Not actually seen, but Mrs B & I heard this noise this morning, from woods near Mapledurham, repeated quite a few times.

http://sounds.bl.uk/Environment/British-wildlife-recordings/022M-W1CDR0001444-1700V0

It sounded close. There were several deer tracks (but I thought of smaller deer) heading in that direction.

I've seen fallow deer not far (as in a mile or so away) from there.

[Edit]Mrs B was skeptical of my explanation of the noise, until I played the recording linked to. Definitely the same.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3020 on: 21 January, 2013, 06:43:11 am »
Mid afternoon yesterday (Sunday).  Solitary redwing in the back garden.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3021 on: 21 January, 2013, 06:54:37 am »
Deer tracks in our garden yesterday.

Seen today
« Reply #3022 on: 21 January, 2013, 08:25:55 am »
Lots of Brambling on the feeders today along with a few Reed Buntings.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #3023 on: 21 January, 2013, 10:56:22 am »
Bumper, where are you - Scotland?

Seen today
« Reply #3024 on: 21 January, 2013, 10:57:27 am »
Bumper, where are you - Scotland?

I wish!

Staffordshire.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert