Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1019528 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #3025 on: 21 January, 2013, 11:25:25 am »
Thanks - maybe there are some here in Lancashire, then.  I'll keep my eyes peeled!

Seen today
« Reply #3026 on: 21 January, 2013, 11:35:11 am »
Hopefully you will!

They are still here in a large mixed flock. My garden has been a feed station for them for years now. There's a large nature reserve about 100 yards from my house that has some nice rarities that frequent, I also think its a stop off for flocks on their way to Cannock Chase. If the weather continues like it is today (snowing again!) I will pop over onto the reserve tomorrow with the bins and camera because I won't be able to work!!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #3027 on: 21 January, 2013, 01:23:32 pm »
A treecreeper on the tree in front of our kitchen window. Have seen all sorts of birds on this little tree before including a long eared owl but that's the first treecreepr.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #3028 on: 21 January, 2013, 07:47:05 pm »
Down at the Creek country park.

There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #3029 on: 25 January, 2013, 02:31:01 pm »
A greenfinch singing loudly at the top of a tree in a neighbour's garden.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3030 on: 25 January, 2013, 10:34:52 pm »
What is that corpse, Nicknack? It's not your common-or-garden rattus norvegicus, is it?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #3031 on: 25 January, 2013, 10:37:00 pm »
No. I should have put something in the pic to give an idea of scale. It's a shrew.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3032 on: 25 January, 2013, 10:38:32 pm »
Ta. I thought it looked rat-size but shrew-like. I was struggling to find something that fitted.

Re: Re: Seen today
« Reply #3033 on: 26 January, 2013, 07:42:21 am »
rattus norvegicus are keeping well in this weather, I keep seeing them scurrying around near the pigs. Inevitable I suppose, with the food waste.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3034 on: 26 January, 2013, 08:40:59 am »
I had a very good view of a greater spotted woodpecker yesterday, trying to chisel noisily into the wood of a false acacia. When they are drumming the remind me of limpets clinging to rock. It's the way they spread their wings.

« Reply #3035 on: 26 January, 2013, 07:35:59 pm »
ducks a swan ,a green woodpecker, 2 jays and a red kite as i rode a short section of ncn61 jubilee river slough  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #3036 on: 26 January, 2013, 09:52:23 pm »
Ducks on a frozen pond just as u turn into Blackmore before the tearooms

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3037 on: 27 January, 2013, 12:05:38 pm »
Waxwings  :thumbsup:

023 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3038 on: 27 January, 2013, 12:30:15 pm »
And what we think was a snipe in a ginger cat's mouth (it got away  :thumbsup:) .

Seen today
« Reply #3039 on: 27 January, 2013, 12:30:56 pm »
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3040 on: 27 January, 2013, 05:37:33 pm »
Thursday night, something called an Owl Hawk. It had a white face, black "side burns". Hawk like wings but short neck, flying at low level across a field.  I phoned the BBC about it and we tried to work out where I'd seen it by using BING maps.

Ah. Did I mention this all took place in a dream?

Then on Saturday, a rhinoceros.  Closer inspection through dirty glasses revealed it to be two sheep standing near each other.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3041 on: 27 January, 2013, 09:52:25 pm »
Yesterday, in the dunes between Seahouses and Bamburgh, I saw a puffin.  I got wildly excited about it, till I realised that the Farne Islands, just out to sea, are thronged with them.

But then I decided to get excited about it anyway.  I haven't seen one for many years.

Not far away from there, there was a kestrel hovering over the side of the road, unconcerned by the approaching cyclists.  Unfortunately, a car scared it off.
Getting there...

« Reply #3042 on: 28 January, 2013, 02:17:03 pm »
Walking through Mayow Park in SE26 on Saturday, carrying a 5lb chicken, some very tasty sausages, a pound of minced beef, two bottles of shampoo, two bottles of red wine, a bottle of gin, two bottles of tonic, two bottles of handwash, some double cream, some bananas, some coffee, a jar of local honey, some St Agur and some stinky Brie, I spied a pair of mistle thrushes, a single song thrush, a solitary fieldfare and a flock of redwings.  And I heard a GSW drumming.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3043 on: 28 January, 2013, 02:50:45 pm »
Sat eating lunch, we saw a couple of long-tailed tits land on the bush just outside. There are very few small birds in and around our garden, and birdfood can often remain unclaimed, so this pair was a joy to see. :)
Getting there...

LindaG

« Reply #3044 on: 28 January, 2013, 02:55:31 pm »
Yesterday, in the dunes between Seahouses and Bamburgh, I saw a puffin.  I got wildly excited about it, till I realised that the Farne Islands, just out to sea, are thronged with them.

But then I decided to get excited about it anyway.  I haven't seen one for many years.

Get excited again.  It should've been in Morocco at this time of year.  Lazy puffin.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3045 on: 28 January, 2013, 03:01:57 pm »
Oh dear.  That probably means it was a poorly one which had been unable to migrate :(
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3046 on: 28 January, 2013, 07:06:43 pm »

Get excited again.  It should've been in Morocco at this time of year.  Lazy puffin.

I've never sen a puffin and I want to.

Who's going to take my puffing cherry? :P

« Reply #3047 on: 28 January, 2013, 08:42:11 pm »
A dead rat. Very wet, drowned-looking (but not near water) on the allotment. Council workmen had been round earlier slashing the hedge (& littering my plot, the messy bastards - Ginster's wrappings as well as  privet trimmings), but I can't work out any connection.

Fox turds on a vegetable bed.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3048 on: 28 January, 2013, 09:47:48 pm »
Hopefully I will get the chance to play with one of these http://www.bushnell.com/all-products/trail-cameras/trophy-cam/trophy-cam-hd-brown when the students have finished with them.. I have some cunning plans

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3049 on: 29 January, 2013, 03:20:29 pm »
At the weekend, whilst in Chathill for the camping weekend, I sawed a Barn Owl.

Yesterday and today, be virtue of the factI took the riverside route to the office rather than the boring street route, I saw a swan (both days) on the River Aire in central Leeds.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State