Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018583 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #3125 on: 19 March, 2013, 10:41:53 am »
Actually from Sunday's Audax ride in The Dales:-

Park Rash climb begins
Wise old woodpecker yaffles
No laughing matter

« Reply #3126 on: 19 March, 2013, 08:34:51 pm »
(Can't do pomes)  :-\

We regularly have a yaffle feeding on the lawns around the office.  I disturbed him as I arrived yesterday morning and he treated me to the sight of him flying across the grass then perching on the trunk of a tree.  Nice way to start the day.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3127 on: 19 March, 2013, 09:49:02 pm »
Finally found one.

Foxed again! by davidmamartin, on Flickr
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3128 on: 19 March, 2013, 11:49:54 pm »
This morning: 3 deer in the garden.

They seem to apperar here from time to time, but I'm not sure how they get here from the woodlands.   We're all fenced in.   They run away through a gap in the fence to the neighbour's garden ( the fence stops at a wooded area creating a porous border), so there must be a way in there.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #3129 on: 20 March, 2013, 10:50:10 am »
Just had a lone Goldfinch in a bush near the back doors collecting nesting material , lovely sight. They are not uncommon around here but are normally only seen , and heard , up in the trees.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #3130 on: 23 March, 2013, 10:31:09 pm »
2 kites hovering effortlessly on the ridge at the top of Crook's Peak in Somerset. They were only 20 feet away from us so we had a good view.

fuzzy

« Reply #3131 on: 25 March, 2013, 03:45:35 pm »
They are quite stunning to watch in action, up close and personal aren't they?

« Reply #3132 on: 28 March, 2013, 01:39:38 pm »
They are quite stunning to watch in action, up close and personal aren't they?

Yes  ;D
Simon wished he had taken his Canon EOS up there, I didn't think I could capture them with a phone camera very well.

Snakehips

« Reply #3133 on: 28 March, 2013, 11:16:17 pm »
A sparrowhawk flew across the road in front of me between two suburban gardens. I stopped to have a look and it flew back past me , so close I could have touched it. It then wandered around on the ground , presumably looking for worms or some other ground based prey.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3134 on: 29 March, 2013, 01:43:31 pm »
This morning I spent some time watching a nuthatch in some beech trees by the Bath Yh. I was quite pleased because it was its call that first drew my attention to it and I thought to myself "that sounds like a nuthatch!". I haven't seen all that many nuthatches before.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3135 on: 30 March, 2013, 12:30:14 am »
Herd of wowdeer buzzing the FNRttC peleton.  Pretty spectacular.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3136 on: 31 March, 2013, 01:33:58 pm »
A fox ran across the road in front of us on the way to Northallerton then ran alongside in the adjacent field before stopping & watching us go by. A few seconds later a barn owl flew across our path.

Snakehips

« Reply #3137 on: 31 March, 2013, 03:00:30 pm »
A fox ran across the road in front of us on the way to Northallerton then ran alongside in the adjacent field before stopping & watching us go by. A few seconds later a barn owl flew across our path.
Are you sure you weren't being treated to an impromptu roadside performance of the Gruffalo ?

« Reply #3138 on: 31 March, 2013, 08:49:35 pm »
Usual Berkshire & North Hampshire wildlife today (pheasants, rabbits, kites, etc).

But yesterday morning, when nobody else was around, Mrs B & I found where our allotment fox lives. There's an overgrown corner, not part of any plot, where people dump stuff they don't want to try composting, such as branches & perennial weed roots. It's covered in very high brambles. Mrs B was poking around, & found a shed! Covered in ivy, wooden with a corrugated asbestos roof, leaning at an angle, & just where the council map of the site shows a small building.

We hacked through vegetation & a wall of dumped branches & peered in through a missing window (the intact one was too dirty) - to see signs of recent animal activity, including a very well-used burrow about the right size for a fox!

We're wondering if there are cubs in there.

We re-blocked the path we'd cut, & left the fox or foxes in peace.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #3139 on: 31 March, 2013, 10:27:14 pm »
Are you sure you weren't being treated to an impromptu roadside performance of the Gruffalo ?
??? I recall nothing of such wildlifery frolics. Was I asleep at the time?
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3140 on: 31 March, 2013, 10:39:19 pm »

One of us was  :P Are you going to tell me that animal hallucinations are normal on an Easter Arrow?

« Reply #3141 on: 01 April, 2013, 09:35:20 am »

One of us was  :P Are you going to tell me that animal hallucinations are normal on an Easter Arrow?

Pingu - You were not having animal hallucinations - I saw the fox and the owl as well  :thumbsup: 

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #3142 on: 01 April, 2013, 01:06:23 pm »
I have it on good authority that a dragon used to live in a tree by the Shap road. Didn't you see it?
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3143 on: 01 April, 2013, 03:08:39 pm »
Three linnets, looking quite pink-breasted.  A few weeks ago they were brown except for their red caps.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3144 on: 01 April, 2013, 08:26:42 pm »
wind chill  :o :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #3145 on: 01 April, 2013, 09:56:32 pm »
Two male blackcaps in our garden today.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3146 on: 02 April, 2013, 06:17:42 am »
I've just checked the Southend RSPB website. No-one reported seeing a swallow at all in March. The "Latest sightings" and "Migration reports" pages have been in operation since 2003 and this is the first year since then that no swallow reports have been made in March.

The only summer visitors reported so far are a Sandwich Tern on 10th March and a black redstart on 15th March.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3147 on: 02 April, 2013, 10:33:25 am »
From the cafe at the Cotswold Water Park, we watched a whole load of birds perched on rushes queueing for a feeder, planted in the water just away from the edge.  There were several kinds of tits, including great, coal, long-tailed and blue, and a female reed warbler.  We didn't know this last until we went to the toilets, and passed a wallchart showing common birds.  Pretty little thing, isn't it?

There were some canny ducks swimming around below the feeder catching everything dropped onto the water by the birds pecking above.

In Ross, we saw buzzards and kites among others.  Lovely.
Getting there...

fuzzy

« Reply #3148 on: 02 April, 2013, 03:56:22 pm »
Not today but last week, what I am sure was a Grey Shrike, ground hopping on the grass of the big island at the bottom of Marlow Hill, High Wycombe, opposite Wycombe Abbey Girls School.

« Reply #3149 on: 02 April, 2013, 10:17:25 pm »
A pair of Buzzards soaring over the village. Makes a nice change from the Red Kites that have become a frequent sight.

Then driving back down the A322 this evening a deer eating the grass on the verge  of a 70mph DC. Cue deceleration, cover brakes, edge right in the lane etc. but it stayed put.