Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018217 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #3275 on: 19 June, 2013, 11:41:48 pm »
At long long last … Swifts. Only half a dozen, but they finally made it.
They'd arrived here by last night. I dined outside ;D and was rewarded with the sight & sound of a dozen or more, flying high, screaming, and clearly happy(relieved?) to get a square meal.

« Reply #3276 on: 19 June, 2013, 11:55:08 pm »
We have damselflies.
I had a double-take when crossing the Blythe after lunch and had to return to confirm that daisies don't grow in the middle of a river. At that point a banded demoiselle fluttered past, followed by another before there was time to take a proper look at the flowers.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3277 on: 20 June, 2013, 09:40:16 am »
A multitude of rabbits in Richmond Park.  They are all over the park in reality but I see them most often either early or late, especially on the track near Petersham Gate.

I was through there just after 4.20 am this morning and they were all over the place - one small one attempted suicide* under my front wheel but I managed to stop in time as I didn't have Kathy in tow to skin it for me.

*I'm not sure exactly what sort of Elil bicycles are classified as.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3278 on: 20 June, 2013, 10:18:50 pm »
Never seen or heard so many wrens. Flocks of fledglings buzzing around like slightly oversized bees.

Here is one that stayes still enough long enough and close enough for me to catch it with a 70mm lens.

DSC_2117 by davidmamartin, on Flickr
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3279 on: 20 June, 2013, 10:36:42 pm »
Today I saw a magpie.  Not very unusual, but this one had such iridescence that it appeared to be blue and white rather than black.  I haven't seen one like that before.
Getting there...

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #3280 on: 21 June, 2013, 05:57:55 am »
Today I saw a magpie.  Not very unusual, but this one had such iridescence that it appeared to be blue and white rather than black.  I haven't seen one like that before.

The iridescence varies quite a bit but depends to an extent on the angle of light but mainly the feathers themselves; as I understand it it's the structure of the feathers which creates the effect so may be altered by grooming.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #3281 on: 21 June, 2013, 06:46:12 am »
At Ham Dip this morning, a tiny, very new looking Roe Deer fawn with its mum.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3282 on: 23 June, 2013, 11:41:44 pm »
A burst of alarmed bird noise then a pigeon flew at high speed across in front of me from behind a wall on my right. As it did so, it shed a lot of feathers - into the talons of a sparrowhawk. They disappeared behind a hedge and it seems the pigeon escaped, as a few seconds later the sparrowhawk reappeared, sitting on top of a stump in the hedge before flying away empty-clawed.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3283 on: 24 June, 2013, 01:06:12 pm »
A tawny owl on my doorstep. Opened the front door this morning to this fellow.  He wouldnt fly away. Put a box over him and a screen to give some shade, and SSPCA came out to collect. The lady said no visible injuries, and no tell tale imprints on the windows.  Dont know why he was there, though there was a shitload murder of crows going mad on my roof too, so hope he was happier under the box.

Flickr

« Reply #3284 on: 25 June, 2013, 05:51:52 pm »
We have damselflies. ...
And I have a baby one in my pond. Seen this afternoon. Plenty of smaller invertebrates for it to feed on.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #3285 on: 25 June, 2013, 06:57:35 pm »
Got to the holiday home and found this delightful sight awaiting us in the covered area just outside our back window.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3286 on: 25 June, 2013, 07:03:35 pm »
A tawny owl on my doorstep. Opened the front door this morning to this fellow.  He wouldnt fly away. Put a box over him and a screen to give some shade, and SSPCA came out to collect. The lady said no visible injuries, and no tell tale imprints on the windows.  Dont know why he was there, though there was a shitload murder of crows going mad on my roof too, so hope he was happier under the box.

Flickr

Awwh!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3287 on: 26 June, 2013, 04:50:34 pm »
A mink ran out in front of me today carrying a still wriggling stoat!

Mink are lovely to look at, shame they get a bad press. It's not their fault they were all released when the local mink farm was stormed by knobs with bolt cutters.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Chris S

« Reply #3288 on: 26 June, 2013, 05:06:17 pm »
A mink ran out in front of me today carrying a still wriggling stoat!

Mink are lovely to look at, shame they get a bad press. It's not their fault they were all released when the local mink farm was stormed by knobs with bolt cutters.

Quite. And now the water vole is on the verge of extinction as a result of those hungry minks. Oh the irony.

« Reply #3289 on: 26 June, 2013, 11:08:59 pm »
Irony is exactly right. Another do good human intervention that fooked things up. I remember people hunting the mink when they were released and then showing photos of rows of them shot.

They didn't get many, they're everywhere around here. I once watched one fishing like an otter, it caught a fish too! It's a great shame they're such perfect killing machines.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

LindaG

« Reply #3290 on: 27 June, 2013, 05:19:22 pm »
Lots of gorgeous blue dragonflies on the Mole under Downside Road Bridge.

« Reply #3291 on: 28 June, 2013, 10:14:02 pm »
Yesterday I saw some wagtails by the Wandle in Wandsworth. Are they grey or yellow ones?
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #3292 on: 28 June, 2013, 10:30:13 pm »
Yesterday I saw some wagtails by the Wandle in Wandsworth. Are they grey or yellow ones?

Almost certainly "grey" (though they have some very bright yellow bits).  Yellow wagtails are not common, and I think of them more as birds of wet meadows than riversides

« Reply #3293 on: 29 June, 2013, 04:40:51 am »

Almost certainly "grey" (though they have some very bright yellow bits).  Yellow wagtails are not common, and I think of them more as birds of wet meadows than riversides
Thank you :).
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #3294 on: 02 July, 2013, 09:30:37 am »
Saw a barn owl at the end of my street when I returned from my ride last night/this morning :D

I've been spotting them in the fields getting closer to where I live but they've finally made it here. I'm hoping to spot it hunting in the field across from me, the camera is ready!

« Reply #3295 on: 02 July, 2013, 01:20:21 pm »
Not wild, but country.

Mrs B & I saw a dead cow next to the Devil's Highway on Sunday morning. It was under a tree in a field next to the track. Fairly fresh. Probably died the night before, or earlier that morning. No external signs. Told a local passer-by, who had an idea who owned that field & said he'd pass the word on.

Looked heavily pregnant. Mrs B wondered if it might have gone into labour & had fatal complications.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3296 on: 02 July, 2013, 02:21:53 pm »
Yesterday, a pair of buzzards wheeling around above Sutton Hall Farm.

That is the closest to Southend I have ever seen a pair, whom I presume to have a nest somewhere. It wasn't more than about 15 years ago that I first saw a buzzard in Essex, and now I see them regularly throughout the county.

Toady I saw a sparrow hawk near Great Wakering.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3297 on: 02 July, 2013, 02:57:30 pm »
Two news ones to tick off in my eye-spy book of Nature.

An egret
2 red squggles.

The usual suspects were there, too
Swans
Ducks
moor hens (some of these might be cheating as we have a couple of pairs that live on the lake at work)
runny babbits
Didn't see any swans today, but did see a load of swan feathers in their usual grooming site.
Daisy, marigold et al gave me the evil eye as I rode through thier field too, then they obviously decided I was no threat and went on eating their grass.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3298 on: 02 July, 2013, 04:19:55 pm »
Where did you see red squirrels?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #3299 on: 03 July, 2013, 09:35:54 am »
In the bath: a giant spider. It's too early for those horrible things, surely? Mr M got it in a glass and threw it outside, nearly threw it AT someone walking past, they would not have been happy to have that horrible scuttling thing land on them!!
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical