Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018188 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Seen today
« Reply #3350 on: 15 August, 2013, 02:53:52 pm »
Riggers, they are all in CAmbridgeshire, dive bombing me as I ride back to the digs...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #3351 on: 16 August, 2013, 08:53:22 am »
Well, I don't know what's going on. I can tell you there are none in Brighton, Newhaven, Seaford, Alfriston, Wilmington, Arlington, Glynde, Lewes, Ditchling, Hassocks, Hurstpierpoint. I've never noticed their absence so early in August before.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #3352 on: 19 August, 2013, 10:35:24 am »
Relieved to see plenty of hirondelles on a ride through Westmorland and Yorkshire this weekend.  Also thrilled to see a RED squirrel near Crosby Garrett (Appleby way)!  It ran along the road in front of me for about 100 yards.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #3353 on: 21 August, 2013, 09:54:41 am »
Swifts apparently do leave in August. I had noticed they weren't here anymore and so Googled...
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #3354 on: 21 August, 2013, 11:53:27 am »
Lots of martins and not-spits in New Forest over the last few days, as well as tawny oqls too wet to woo on Saturday night.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #3355 on: 22 August, 2013, 04:58:22 pm »
Swifts heard on my way home yesterday evening, here in Embra.

« Reply #3356 on: 24 August, 2013, 08:30:21 pm »
Swifts apparently do leave in August. I had noticed they weren't here anymore and so Googled...
Mrs B commented on their absence from here today. Summer's dying . . .

We saw a nowl on our Wednesday ride. It flew along the road ahead of us for a little way, rather low. Nice.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #3357 on: 25 August, 2013, 05:23:39 pm »
Coming round a corner at the  top of a steep rise, sound of hooves from over a gate on my right, and there was a huge, very wooly black llama - it looked like a GM poodle or somesuch. Nearly sh@t myself.

« Reply #3358 on: 25 August, 2013, 09:27:09 pm »
Someone near Reading farms 'em.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3359 on: 26 August, 2013, 02:00:03 am »
During the Mildenhall weekend: a muntjac, running across the road in front of us; several buzzards; and a mink as roadkill.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3360 on: 26 August, 2013, 08:04:57 am »
Forgot about this one.  At the top of the Kitzsteinhorn in Austria, a flock of at least 10 eagles.  Two of them swooped very low - they are very much like giant buzzards.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3361 on: 28 August, 2013, 02:05:44 pm »
A fluffy black cat.

Not unusual to see a cat.  Even this one, which we have seen many times before, though we don't know to whom it belongs.

The unusual thing was that I saw it as a furry black face peered round the door into our bedroom.

It soon took flight, and was sat on the step next time I saw it, though I had checked the upstairs rooms before going down to the kitchen.

Cheeky thing.
Getting there...

Ruth

« Reply #3362 on: 28 August, 2013, 05:51:01 pm »
A BLACK SQRL!!

Srsly, in Canada they have black sqrls.  What is this, Mirkwood?

« Reply #3363 on: 28 August, 2013, 05:59:31 pm »
A fluffy black cat.

Not unusual to see a cat.  Even this one, which we have seen many times before, though we don't know to whom it belongs.

The unusual thing was that I saw it as a furry black face peered round the door into our bedroom.

It soon took flight, and was sat on the step next time I saw it, though I had checked the upstairs rooms before going down to the kitchen.

Cheeky thing.
Just wait till Nye is crawling / toddling, it will then make itself very scarce. There is a good chance that my nephews first work will be cat as he chases them round the room.

« Reply #3364 on: 01 September, 2013, 08:24:27 pm »
Yesterday:
A toad, on the allotment. I'm hoping for toadspawn in our pond next year.

Today:
A couple of buzzards, & an assortment of flattened fauna, in various states from fresh & hardly flattened at all (a young muntjac) to very flattened indeed (pigeons, an unidentifiable small rodent, & a badger so flat & dried out it had stopped stinking).

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3365 on: 03 September, 2013, 10:07:04 pm »
A BLACK SQRL!!

Srsly, in Canada they have black sqrls.  What is this, Mirkwood?

The red sqls are black in various parts of Europe.

Ruth

« Reply #3366 on: 03 September, 2013, 10:32:26 pm »
They have reds and greys as well :)

I saw what looked like three white herons in the Humber today. I watched them for ages. So beautiful.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3367 on: 03 September, 2013, 11:18:50 pm »
Did I mention a female muntjac, last seen flying over my bike on Saturday morning?  Well, one of those.

« Reply #3368 on: 05 September, 2013, 04:20:40 pm »
This week first ever sighting of spotted flycatcher in the woods.  Also seen a woodcock - typical!  I've been trying to survey them all summer with no success.  Two sightings this year, February and this week, outside of the official survey period.  Also lots of little froggies.
Spinning, but not cycling...

« Reply #3369 on: 05 September, 2013, 07:32:19 pm »
Allotment amphibian, seen a couple of hours ago. Mrs B was very pleased that she'd gone to the allotment with me.

Crappy phone pictures, unfortunately. It looked rather big.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #3370 on: 05 September, 2013, 08:43:51 pm »
There are black sqrls in North Cambridge, outside our office. They look a bit...ratty, as they don't have a fluffy tail!
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3371 on: 05 September, 2013, 09:41:41 pm »
They'll be black grey sqls rather than black red sqls  :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3372 on: 05 September, 2013, 10:56:23 pm »
There are black sqrls in North Cambridge, outside our office. They look a bit...ratty, as they don't have a fluffy tail!

They would no doubt be related to the black ones that inhabit Girton College's grounds.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3373 on: 06 September, 2013, 10:49:44 am »
They'll be black grey sqls rather than black red sqls  :)
I didn't know there were black red ones as well.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #3374 on: 06 September, 2013, 12:27:15 pm »